gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 08:06 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  dead in here these days
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: dead in here these days  (Read 5166 times)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
dead in here these days
« on: March 15, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Not really been on rad for a while and just recent i noticed that its dead on here now , The for sale section is the only bit busy ,is that what its come to now just full of people selling stuff , i know we have facebook but is the scene still busy or is it full of dealers now ,shame really as used to see new builds all the time or have we all priced our selfs out of the market .thoughts ?
no1stuntmaster on instagram

In2bmx

Re: dead in here these days
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:42 AM »
It is a little quiet at times ...  But thankfully it's all the true BMX enthusiasts left  :4_17_5:

Not like all those fly by night wannabe's . Who couldn't build a bike if they tried  ;D  Just CLOWN them !!!  And i hate clown bikes !

And at least in here there is no RAFFLES  :) like on FB .. Endless fooking raffles trying to get more money out of people ..  Like that cuynt from the wales , world shite group .. 

I've left 90% of the BMX groups on FB ..  And it feels good ..  :daumenhoch:

KEEP IT RAD..  :4_17_5:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06 AM »
yep as Carl has said, twonks on those groups completely ruined the scene for me.

I pop in here all the time as 'It's RAD' but BMX has pretty much died for me now

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Think the whole scene is cooling off. Just seen that Greg hill is shutting up shop and spoke to loads of bike shop owners recently and most said they don't stock box anymore and only order in when a customer asks. Facebook will more than likely be busy as idiots like to hear their own voice but I think bmx in general is on the downturn.... For now anyway. It'll be back  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

griff

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Still on here pretty much every day ;)
Not got any builds planned but happy enough with what I've got - always nice to see what other people are putting together though and hoping to get pedaling a bit more this year  :daumenhoch:

Easy solution to a quiet forum - less lurking/more posting ;) but good to see sales going on here
Leaving Facebook has been the best thing I've done in a while  ;D

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Still come on here every day, the proper home of o/s bmx :daumenhoch:

Stuff on fb pages disappears after a few days, and is pretty much gone forever, useless for reference.

Got 5 bikes on the go now, so plenty to do.

Think I will be around a good while yet..........................

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51 AM »
It's a shame it's so quiet, but it's just a sign o the times with the likes of facebook being so accessible with just one click or flick of the finger. This encourages laziness (either consciously or subconsciously). The act of actually logging into a forum, taking the time and making the effort to browse gets less and less over time as we increasingly want everything instantly - i'm generalising on this point, obviously. The same has happened on bmx museum, which is nowhere near as busy as it used to be. I agree with the points made about things going missing on facebook - it's all about the now, with no substance, longevity or regard for preserving/contributing things for others to refer back to and use (tech and resto questions/issues/techniques for example). Ok, so it's quiet, but  :radbmxsmilie: is the number one stop for me regarding all things BMX. Most of the facebook stuff to me seems like a dick/wallet measuring exercise.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 02:30 PM »
I'm another daily visitor on here! :daumenhoch: I'm not on Faceache and can't speak for others but having just bought my first new school bike, my interest in BMX is increasing rather than decreasing! :slayer:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Thphewphth

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Also a daily (near hourly) visitor here. Still in the process of learning as much as possible though so more reading than posting right now

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 03:23 PM »
glad to hear there is someone out there as thought i was the only one left , I`m in a better position now so might actual show some of my old crap ive hoarded for years soon as once the loft is boarded i`m going show some pics of some right old crap lol

no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Still here.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Still the best source of OS BMX info this side of the planet.

The percentage of d1cks is much less than the FB groups too, which is nice.
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline SiGhTeK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 04:55 PM »
Im still relatively new to the site but here daily/hourly i suppose im guilty of not posting as much as i would like .... been a bit of a rough 18mnths ....funny now i think about it just after i got into the OS BMX scene things went sour with the missus.... i moved into my mothers couldnt stand that for too long but seemed to amass a few more Tange builds...My problem now however is ive moved into a shed on a farm (its a nicely converted building but its a shed) it is small and cheap...but what do i do with my builds and where do i work on them......this is an issue im working on so i can actually get them together and contribute a little with my build threads as opposed to framesets sitting in my mums loft and parts stashed here there and everywhere..to the point i have actually lost track of what parts i have and where the builds have got too...which again irritates me as im sure i miss out on parts i could really do with

I am grateful for those that contribute.... i dont do mug book and always find myself reading just about everything posted .....

Keep Posting and be Rad

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Did you see the Feburary BOTM thread?

I admit, then when I post a new build thread and progress it, it feels a little lonely at times, like talking to oneself. However, there are behind the scenes macinations, or better said contacts; I have nearly as many private messages as do actual posts. I wish those private messages were reflected in posts but none-the less. I am sure he won't mind me saying but I have had several 'chats' with SiGhtek over a few months, regarding bikes mostly, but sometimes hinting at 'real life'....and Si you STILL owe me a picture or two of the Shimano. Forums work in many ways.

I have already met a number of people on this site, with similar interests, and yet I am a relative newbie. You get what you put in. If you have to ask 'why is it so quiet' you must first ask yourself why and look at yourself.

The interest, hobby, is bound to cool. If it is old school then we are at, or fast approaching, 50. For me, I 'rediscovered bmx' at 47 so I hope I have a few years left. Others may be from the scene back in the day, I do not know. I admit that I dislike the 'not feeling it' or 'this site is dead' threads. easy to be a 'nay sayer' much harder to actively participate, be it even from one step removed. By that I mean that there have been a few 'not feeling it' threads lately; why not say 'taking a step back lads, still love to see your new builds'.

Yes this forum is quiet. No, I do not go on Facebook, but Yes I will continue posting. Workload has prevented me from experimenting with anodising but it is a thread I will progress, warts and all.

Peace out and sorry for the ramble.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I can't really say much about the scene, as  :radbmxsmilie: is my only real access to the scene I've got. Although it is only an online thing for me, because there isn't, and never really was a scene in the area where I live (Germany).
I don't see this lovely place dying as the real enthusiasts are on here about everyday.

Maybe some or a lot of members didn't really loose the love for the hobby, but just don't have anymore space for another bike and others just aren't willing to pay the prices that are asked since a while. This may give the impression, this site or the scene is going slower than it used to. But I see an expectable progression with a hobby like ours. I'm sure its like that anywhere else too, as soon as it gets around that there's cash to make it brings also those people in the game that are only in for money and not for the love of it.
I'm also sure that these peeps will run out of customers/buyers sooner or later, which will bring the whole bussines side to a more acceptable level again. At least I hope so.

Regarding facebook, I gave it a try recently and joined some BMX-groups there in order to see what it's like. Selling and buying fast? Yes! Real expertise? Must be, 'cause some radsters are over there occasionaly too.  :D But I don't see that facebook will ever be able to compete with this forum in particular. ...and there are only two things over there that are of interest for me regarding BMX - a cool freestyle group and the rad-fb-site.

To be honest, I don't like the fact either, that people who are mainly fb-users and are just about to sell stuff (especially those who are only in this hobby for the cash) only use this/our place to get rid of their sh.. . But I think there's no way to aviod these issues - if they are any.?.

Last but not least, my hope is that more people who visit our site will notice how cool this site is, calm down, leave the fast lane for while, have a seat in front of a computer (like I do) a laptop or what ever device, and finally notice why most of us call  :radbmxsmilie: the mother of all BMX-sites on our lovely blue planet.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:03 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 07:56 PM »
^ Great words Andy. Very pleased to have you here on  :radbmxsmilie:   :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 08:00 PM »
^ Great words Andy. Very pleased to have you here on  :radbmxsmilie:   :)

Thanks Andy! Very much appreciate that!  fistblump

Really, your words were inspirational.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Seeing that pic of Brian Curtis on a track in his 70s makes me think there'll be a few more years yet
It's not like I'm suddenly going to outgrow my bikes now  :teef:

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
As a user of Rad and Facebook this place is without doubt the best place if your genuinely interested in BMX. While I've spoke to plenty of good lads on Facebook and bought plenty of stuff on there without any problems it doesn't come close to Rad with its pages and pages of resources. I can still trawl through the archives on here and find threads I haven't come across before.
As I've only built one bike despite rediscovering BMX back in 2008 I personally don't contribute a great deal to the site with posts, but do come on here every day and try to contribute where I can. As someone else pointed out on another thread ( I can't remember who it was) I personally think this place has improved since the Facebook boom.
I'd rather have quality than quantity and that's what you get with  :radbmxsmilie:.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 08:58 PM »
I don't do Facebook or anything like that. The only other forum I visit now and again is BMXmuseum.

So this site is really my only insight to the Old School.

I still enjoy the site  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:00 PM by BMX1973 »

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Still the best source of OS BMX info this side of the planet.

The percentage of d1cks is much less than the FB groups too, which is nice.

But we still got pickle

In2bmx

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 08:04 AM »

I'd rather have quality than quantity and that's what you get with  :radbmxsmilie:.
Exactly !  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Always has been my favourite old school site, in here most days and don't really like the bmx pages on Farcebook, too many Richard  Noggins for my liking!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 10:47 AM »
No posts = No new content, post stuff up Brothers!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  dead in here these days

gfxgfx
gfx gfx