gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  is this classed as mid
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: is this classed as mid  (Read 1405 times)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
is this classed as mid
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:12 PM »
and is £100 too much to ask?

http://http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1475809/

it's not mine i was just wondering any good

priv

Lazarou

Re: is this classed as mid
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:23 PM »
I like the Pro Stock and it is mid but £100 is pushing it a bit as you can pick the frames up NOS for next to nothing (good race project IMO) and the rest of the parts don't look up to much.

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:25 PM »
its pushing it a bit being 2000, but the spec and spirit are passable :daumenhoch:

the price is a little high, £70/80 would be more reasonable :LolLolLolLol:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:27 PM »
 :) I just sold a NOS Pro Stock frame for £60-paid half that.Have ridden it since it was built up and it was fine.Don`t know if it can be classed as mid though.

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:30 PM »
thanks men :daumenhoch:

it's on a mtb website and i thought i'd check with you lot before i start negotiating

priv

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 04:52 PM »
for me mid skool ends when inch and 8 came out as that when bmx changed again .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:54 PM »
give it a few years, and that bike is oldschool.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:57 PM »
1 1/8 was a customer option from 1" by a few companies
mid for me kinda ended when things went to taiwan.
apart from the few companies who did RND not just for bigger profits.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 10:21 PM »
schwinn pro stocks were the cheaper material frame that differed in price depending on the groupset, pro stock 1 being the best, then degrading in parts through 2, 3, and possibly a 4 and 5. if you like the design probably better to find the schwinn xs enf frame. awesome bike but quite weighty for aluminium. lovely machine yokes and better grade metal! don't quote me on but ithink the pro stock was 7005  aluminium whereas the enf was 6061-t6

not sure on the mid/new school thing. difficult to say.

my own personal view is mid school era that was slightly ahead of its time and paved the way for the new school race frames like the gt box series, cheetah frames (can't remember whether thats the name of the company or name of the frame. lovely though!).

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 10:29 AM »
The Blue Falcon model is the Schwinn to look out for  :daumenhoch:

thesku11s

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Spotted that myself, thought itd be a cheap alternative to a lightweight crmo bike that isnt as garish as some of the fatter alu ones. good for a chuck around.

The price is £100 ono, and open to swaps too.

- i think youd be able to work something good out if you like it.

In terms of Mid - school, I think it is the period from roughly 90-97 when bikes started to have similar geometry, the bars had less sweep and were a little lower (seat too) than 80's bikes. All the stems were now cubes of cut alloy and not the forged SR type of the 80's, a few race bikes had cantilever brakes, freestyle had a mix of ad's & side calipers and used GYROs, seats were all now padded. Bikes mostly had 36spoke wheels
- This is mid school.

97- 2003ish BMX entered the next era on the back of MTB technology/concepts, 1 1/8th headsets came out, Extreme OVERSISE/OVERBUILT tubing was in fashion, a few companies experimentedd with V-brakes on bikes, they bacame standard on race bikes but only lasted a short time for freestyle. U brakes became completely standard even on cheap freestyle bikes.Gyros & front brakes became completley out of vogue for cool kids, although bikes came fitted with them and often gyro tabs too. Bikes had 48spoke wheels, really big dropouts, and eventually 14mm axles. Race bikes now made out of aluminium
- This is an "undefined" but specific period clearly different to others.

Newschool 2003ish to present.
Fat overbuilt over heavy frames now banished, thin tubes lightweight cromo bikes now the shit. A really geeky attention to detail on weight, cut down or no seatposts. Cut down dropouts, seat tubes. Brakeless specific bikes. Overkill over expensive parts - like CNC brakes & stems. Re indroduction of 36spoke wheels, and return of 10mm to some. Kids all riding really expensive bikes made by small companies, fancy custom colour schemes. GT etc now making sh*t toys r us taiwan bikes. A lot of riders without pegs too, riding street & doing a lot of tailwhips aided by your slammed seatpost in fashion

« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 06:22 PM by thesku11s »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  is this classed as mid

gfxgfx
gfx gfx