gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 10:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What a nice story.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What a nice story.  (Read 681 times)

munners

What a nice story.
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:03 PM »
I grew up with a girl called Jo Stevens in Kingston, Surrey. She was a Tomboy and got into BMX. I grew out of BMX, like most of us in 1986. I knew that she became very very good in the racing scene and that she continued once i gave up. I heard she was in the top 5 in the UK.

I met her a few years ago and we briefly touched on the BMX days. I wasnt anywhere near as obsest as i am now, so i didnt pay particular attention to her achievements. Anyway, my Uncle ended up marrying her Sister, so i started to hear her name mentioned more and more and with that her troubles too. She went bang off the rails up until a good few months ago. I told my Uncle to tell her about this site and I felt that she maybe needed something like BMX to get her mind off of things.

I was with my Uncle tonight and we spoke about Jo. I got her number from him and we just had a good hour chat about the good old days. I had tears in my eyes. I found out that she was number 1 in the UK around 84-86 and held it for about 3 years. She cant really remember. She was sponsered by Cook Bros and JMC. She ended up giving her bikes away for silly things and to who she dosent know!

Since she has known about Rad, she has moved to Norwich and ended up buying a brand new Redline. She belongs to a club in Norwich and is hoping to be back to rock. She says she is so happy to have BMX in her life.

Just wondered if anyone knew her?

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: What a nice story.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:54 PM »
That's a lovely story, munners, has she introduced herself on here?

I'm afraid I don't know her but she's slightly after me and probably too far south too at the time :)

Is she coming to MK?

DR VINOAH

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:00 AM »
well i,m chuffed jo has got back into bmx

as for looking into me bmx mag vault
i reckon i might find her :daumenhoch:

shame webdawgs gone :'(
i,m sure they raced in the same era

maybe the same age group?

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 07:58 AM »
nice one munners, it's people like you that make this site what it is,  :daumenhoch:

must admit i don't know Jo, but look forward to seeing her on the site
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

munners

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 08:05 AM »
I know for sure she was in the old Mags. Ive told her about MK and she is gonna try and make it. She still hasn't seen an old skool bike since BITD so she would be in her element!

I just thought it was nice that BMX sort of gave someone an opportunity to get their mind off of other things.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:11 AM »
norwich is probably my closest track mand am taking my daughter to have a few goes .
will hook up with tim and see if she is about and say hi,im about 25 mins from norwich  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:12 AM »
[nice one munners, it's people like you that make this site what it is,  :daumenhoch:

Why thank you Sir.  ;) Im sure you know what its like. You just end up ALWAYS talking about bikes and BMX's to anyone you havent seen for a while.  I went up the road the other day for some ice for the MRS and her mates. I met an old mate up there and spent 45 mins talking about mates who may still have their bikes in their shed. IM MURDER FOR IT!

I thought this site would be a brilliant way of showing her that lots of people out there still have a passion for it. Obviously it worked! Well done RAD.

munners

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Oh my God Dan. She didnt stop talking about 'Tim' on the phone! He definitely knows her!
I would love it if she was there. She has joined their team. The Norwich ............? I would know if you told me.

Quality :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 08:22 AM »
norwich flyers bmx track
http://http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/clu/News2006/20060403_norwich_flyers.asp
i have known tim since i was a lad and we rode together back in the mid 80s
he came to brandon track on the train where we did jumps and stuff,like you do  lol

munners

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Thats the club mate! :daumenhoch:

Nice one Dan.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 08:58 AM »
Cool story Munners, well done on the recruitment job  :daumenhoch:

Is it Tim Gregory she has hooked up with? If so she will be fine as he is an old schooler and all around nice guy (fast too)

:) DINGO :)

munners

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Not sure but she kept on referring to 'Tim'.

I hope she sticks with it. She sounded like she had the buzz back! She just bought a £330 Redine (new one in white-dont know my new skool bikes).

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Not sure but she kept on referring to 'Tim'.

I hope she sticks with it. She sounded like she had the buzz back! She just bought a £330 Redine (new one in white-dont know my new skool bikes).

20" or cruiser?

Joey Gough is over that way too and she is a kick ass rider

:) DINGO :)

munners

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 09:24 AM »
20" but she said she looked at a cruiser.  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What a nice story.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx