gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SOFT TOOLS?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SOFT TOOLS?  (Read 1740 times)

d14vd_h

SOFT TOOLS?
« on: January 27, 2006, 12:46 AM »
strange title
but serious question can u get spanners etc that have rubber inside them so as not to damaged anodised items, im really fearing tightening my blue suntour axle nuts with a big bit of steel!
i know u can get rubber mallets so not a crazy concept and i imagine they would grip better!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: SOFT TOOLS?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:46 AM »
Dave i think you need help mate  :P

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 02:49 AM »
masking tape mate, its the way f'ward

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:51 AM »
go to bed it's bloody twenty to three on a friday morning

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:17 AM »
i tightened my suntour nuts with a regular spanner
they did not scratch at all. and you can get some real torque on em too. i thought they would be like pastry, but they are hard

dont use a pipe wrench though!

get the right size open ended spanner on it

Donker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 09:19 AM »
as ruler says, use the correct spanner, or socket to evenly distribute the load and you will be fine. :Great_Britain:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Those ally nuts are GAY anyway , just show NO go  :crazy2:

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 10:29 AM »
and you can get some real torque on em too. i thought they would be like pastry, but they are hard

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Oh....thought this thread might have been about something else....

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Just go along to Toys 'R' Us and get yourself one of these kits:

Clicky

Includes "adjustable wrench and plastic spanners"  :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 11:57 AM »

i like the saw

gmac

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:10 PM »
The saw has a little plastic slider on the bottom, with a ratchet, that makes a sawing noise when you go back and forth  ;D

My son's got one, and frequently tries to saw the dog in half with it.  :idiot2:

2020mad

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 12:12 PM »
we use over priced aluminium spanners on the anodised earls fittings on a pro mod dragster still scratch, but at over $80 a spanner we just laugh at my mate for buying it anyway!

Want to buy a spanner?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 12:26 PM »
The saw has a little plastic slider on the bottom, with a ratchet, that makes a sawing noise when you go back and forth 

My son's got one, and frequently tries to saw the dog in half with it. 

Ahhh, the dying art of correct saw use, he will never learn to chop wood properly with that shit, get him a juniour hacksaw.

Remember, you can replace a dog, but your child only has one chance to be educated on proper saw controll.

What kind of father does that make you?

:)

greentoad

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Hi all

I reckon this has a lot to do with a post a while back on stripping bikes and selling as bits, rather than keeping the bikes as a complete item.

I use Snap-On and always wipe them down after each use, they are kept in great condition and do not wear. If you use cheaper tools you can damge the component by rounding the nut / bolt inside and outside (such as using allen key in stems / seat posts) and also damage the threads.

Most items need a torque wrench to be tightened properly or tightened by a person that has a feel of the correct torque. Most cars etc (for the last 20+ years) have dipossable items - head bolts, sump bungs and washers etc. When they have been tightened and removed they should not be used again.

I reckon it is similar in BMX, if you have a part (alloy especially), it goes on a build, it is taken off, sold, then goes on another build, sold again, and this goes round and round in circles the threads are getting damaged and also the item is more likely to become looser and also get scratched etc etc.

I agree with Oli about the masking tape, or better still is electrical tape to reduce scratches but at the end of the day the more items that are put on taken off, put on taken off they will be a lot weaker and could fail if ever ridden hard.

J.

gmac

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 12:33 PM »
The saw has a little plastic slider on the bottom, with a ratchet, that makes a sawing noise when you go back and forth 

My son's got one, and frequently tries to saw the dog in half with it. 

Ahhh, the dying art of correct saw use, he will never learn to chop wood properly with that shit, get him a juniour hacksaw.

Remember, you can replace a dog, but your child only has one chance to be educated on proper saw controll.

What kind of father does that make you?

:)

Never mind my father/son saw tutorials, get yourself a spell checker Rain Man  :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2006, 12:37 PM »
if when you are doing up a wheel nut, you arent doing it up tight enough to break through masking tape, it aint gonna stay in the same position for long.
if you are worried about microscopic scratches on a wheel nut, you are probably best keeping all the bits in their original wrappers.

lol this thread is next level anal

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Never mind my father/son saw tutorials, get yourself a spell checker Rain Man

You is just jealous cos you dont have a special Edam Sled.  :wtf:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SOFT TOOLS?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx