gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  bmx for little people
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bmx for little people  (Read 1159 times)

losidan

bmx for little people
« on: March 27, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Hi,

My bike is on it's way and I am pretty sure my niece wants to start riding too. She is 8 yrs old, avg height. I was wondering what size bike she would need for the track..mini, micro mini?

If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: bmx for little people
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48 PM »
Junior  :daumenhoch:

proclass35

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:20 PM »
If you're after a new bike have a look at Kuwahara or Redline junior models, they have a good quality standard spec, excellent geometry and are light enough to confidently race on. They're in the same price range as many other manufacturers but you get a lot more for your money. Good websites as well! :daumenhoch:

jazzyje

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25 PM »
just got my little un a kuwahara mini and they are a truly well specced bike.quite easy to ride as many of the smaller bikes ar'nt easy for kids compared to their early learner bikes.try tibbs cycles of kent as i know for a fact he has a kuwahara nova junior in the window that wont break the bank.cool website as well.

Moschops

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:44 PM »
8 is a tough age its that sort of cross over age from mini to junior.

Best bet is try before you buy, some juniors are smaller then others, GT's always seem to come up small so a GT junior would be a good bench mark.

You can increase a bike's life by changing stems and cranks and bar rises, (appolgies if i'm teaching you to suck eggs)

A bigger bike with a crupi 0 stem may get you another years worth of use, or a smaller bike with an XL stem in its latter years.....

6 of one half a dozen of the other, sorry this hasn't helped at all has it :-[

Redline are turning out very good factory bikes at the moment.

KGB Matt

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:34 AM »
My daughter has just turned 8 and rides a Redline Junior ....  :daumenhoch:

Matt

proclass35

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:27 AM »
8 is a tough age its that sort of cross over age from mini to junior.

Best bet is try before you buy, some juniors are smaller then others, GT's always seem to come up small so a GT junior would be a good bench mark.

You can increase a bike's life by changing stems and cranks and bar rises, (appolgies if i'm teaching you to suck eggs)

A bigger bike with a crupi 0 stem may get you another years worth of use, or a smaller bike with an XL stem in its latter years.....

6 of one half a dozen of the other, sorry this hasn't helped at all has it :-[

Redline are turning out very good factory bikes at the moment.
Good advice Moschops, my lad and his freind have just turned 7 and 8 and have both just switched from 17 1/4" top tube minis to 18" toptube minis ( Supercross), other mini manufacturers with an 18" top tube include Crupi and I think Redman. We've adjusted these for growth with short reach stems (LDC 35mm)and 3 1/2" bars and stem spacers. Bear in mind that other manufactures have Junior bikes with an 18" toptube (Avent) and you're trying to find a happy medium.
So for an average height 8yr old who wants a bit of growth in their bike I'd go for a 18-18 1/2" junior frame with a Crupi 20mm short reach stem (Groove Racing £40 for Rhythm range), 4" rise bars, and 155/160mm cranks.
Probably one too many details from a mini-dad anorak,but I hope it helps!

losidan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:50 AM »
cheers dudes...uber good advice.

wolfybmx

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58 AM »
just got my little un a kuwahara mini and they are a truly well specced bike.quite easy to ride as many of the smaller bikes ar'nt easy for kids compared to their early learner bikes.try tibbs cycles of kent as i know for a fact he has a kuwahara nova junior in the window that wont break the bank.cool website as well.

yes check out our web site www.tibbscyclestore.co.uk

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  bmx for little people

gfxgfx
gfx gfx