gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline Proline Headtube Decal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline Proline Headtube Decal  (Read 887 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Redline Proline Headtube Decal
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Hey Guys,
Received my PL20 Frameset from the states the other day (shown in the Redline Proline II thread).
It had the Red/Yellow fade decals which I'm going to reproduce as I know a lot of you guys are after a high quality set. I'm working from the originals so you all know you'll get an exact match!
Anyways, the original owner had also stuck on my frame a Red/Black/White Headtube decal from the Carrera/Proline II era. I've shown it below. I'm going to be reproducing this era of decal style but am a bit concerned as to whether this is a genuine decal or not? As you can see the REDLINE lettering at the bottom of the decal has a fine black outline and the typface is condensed horizontally??? If you look at the Headtube sticker which was on GREMLINS Proline II there is no black outline and the typeface is not condensed?? I'm wondering if the early Carrera's headtube decal is different to the Proline II, ie. with the black outline etc or whether the one I have is indeed an 80's repro decal complete with white outline. The decal on GREMLINS look original to me.... but so does the one I have here?????
Does anyone have any images from old magazines etc which may help to clear this up?
I don't want to be reproducing decals which are incorrect..... it's either exactly right of wrong for me!!

Thanks guys

John

kowalski

Re: Redline Proline Headtube Decal
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54 AM »
hi john
im no expert but the letters on your decal all look to be a bit wonky to each other, kind of remind me of the lettering you used to get on moody adidas tracksuit tops bitd,
it could just be where the stickers aged and come off the bike i guess?
anyway i need a stomping stu sticker for my v bars please  :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 01:36 PM »
I can't quite remember the onfo on this, but...   

one sticker is from a US built frame set, the other is from Japan...  type thing.

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Ahh Ron,
Now thats an interesting thought you have there. Along those lines I would then think that the one shown on GREMLINS headtube is the Japan version as his entire frameset was a Proline II. I could be wrong but I think all the Carreras were USA made which may suggest that the black outline version is from a Carrera. As we can't be definate about this I'm thinkin I'll provide both versions on a decal set once then it's up to each individual as to which one they use!

Thanks for your help guys!

John

Tricky

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Ahh Ron,
Now thats an interesting thought you have there. Along those lines I would then think that the one shown on GREMLINS headtube is the Japan version as his entire frameset was a Proline II. I could be wrong but I think all the Carreras were USA made which may suggest that the black outline version is from a Carrera. As we can't be definate about this I'm thinkin I'll provide both versions on a decal set once then it's up to each individual as to which one they use!

John, i ve just checked mine which is the Japan frame and the decal is the same as Gremlins, with no black outline. 
Do you have a copy of the made in Japan sticker that goes on the seat tube?, cause mine is fully intact i can scan you a copy.
The other thing is as you know the main frame decal is a wrap around, however so is the Redline symbol on the seat post tube, it wraps around the front with a clear sticker.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:09 PM by Tricky »

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Ahh Ron,

Thanks for your help guys!

John

All MK1 Carreras came from Japan, the US frame sets are the ones without the rear brace at the bottom bracket. 

Good idea doing both styles :daumenhoch:

Someone put the details of the stickers on OS BMX or Vintagebmx a few years back, but I can't remember the info :-\

I'll get in my loft tomorrow night and check my Carrera, it still has the factory stickers on it :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Cheers for the info guys... knew you wouldn't let me down!
A scan of the Japan sticker would be much appreciated tricky!!! I still need scans of the dwntube and seattube decals before I can continue with the work. With regard to the downtube decals, whats the score with the wraparoud situation??? GREMLINS downtube stickers were individual for both sides but you say yours are a wraparound version TRICKY???
I guess when I do them I'll do them as wraparound then people have the option of cutting them if they want!

John

Tricky

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Cheers for the info guys... knew you wouldn't let me down!
A scan of the Japan sticker would be much appreciated tricky!!! I still need scans of the dwntube and seattube decals before I can continue with the work. With regard to the downtube decals, whats the score with the wraparoud situation??? GREMLINS downtube stickers were individual for both sides but you say yours are a wraparound version TRICKY???
I guess when I do them I'll do them as wraparound then people have the option of cutting them if they want!

John

The wrap around covers only the front side of the seat post tube, on the main frame sticker the wrap around goes over the top of the tube.  In either case it does not wrap all the way around.  If you can see what i am saying.  This is how the originals were produced.  I can take some close up pics if that will help as the stickers are still on the frame.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57 PM »
Mine are the same as Trickys...  up and over on the down tube, and no black outline on headtube sticker, around the word 'REDLINE'.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Cheers guys.... if you could put up some images that would be great!

John

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline Proline Headtube Decal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx