gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 11:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fork Me.....a Bargain?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fork Me.....a Bargain?  (Read 800 times)

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
Fork Me.....a Bargain?
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:49 PM »
My misses got these for me off ebay for a fiver, just arrived today. NOS, clean as you like.......is that a good deal as I don't know how they're rated as forks go ???
MCS Magnum:

Paul :)
PS My misses is slowly getting into the BMX way :coolsmiley:
Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Fork Me.....a Bargain?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:57 PM »
Dam good bargain mate!!!  are they threaded or 1 1/8th?  i've got a set....but also got the frame and bars to match!  :daumenhoch:   check out the welds on them and the thickness of the drop outs!  quality race forks mate!!!

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Hi ya Picks :daumenhoch:  Wicked, a good bargain :D

They're 1 1/8th bud...I do like your MCS and wouldn't mind going down the same lines as yours with the colourscheme....imitation is the best form of flattery I reckon :daumenhoch:

At the mo I've got a fresh GT Freestyler Frame (thanks to Stace :daumenhoch:) circa 95 so not sure what  to do yet in terms of a new build  ???

Paul ;)
Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Nice GT mate! but those MCS forks are race forks and probably don't have a hole for a front brake??

did you get the forks off Greenmachine?  as that's where i picked up my frame, forks and bars from  :daumenhoch:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:12 PM »
Nice GT mate! but those MCS forks are race forks and probably don't have a hole for a front brake??

did you get the forks off Greenmachine?  as that's where i picked up my frame, forks and bars from  :daumenhoch:

Rob, yeah I realised when I opened the parcel there was no hole or thread.....but it was my misses who got em for me off ebay Greenmachine.

I was gonna ask, if there's no thread on the forks, what do you do with the headset as I've only been used to threaded forks on my past 2 builds. Soz if it's a dumb question :crazy2:.

Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Not a dumb question at all mate......they're simple to do but you might find it a little tricky the first time?

get yourself a 1 1/8th headset (FSA Pig are very good and cheap)
once you've got the cups in the frame and the race on the forks......you put the bearings and forks in as normal, but you will get.....what is called a 'star nut' thingy with the headset, this needs to be put into the fork stearer tube and is a tricky job!  this is to pull the headset tight together.....it needs to be down about 20mm in the stearer tube.

Once you've got this in the forks and put the headset together, you need to put your stem onto the for stearer,  the stearer tube should finish about 5mm below the top of the stem, if the forks sit above the stem then you need some spacers under the stem.

Once you've sorted that........put the bolt into the star nut and just dog it up (not tight) then what i do is push down on the stem and then tighten the stem bolts up (again not too tight but enough to hold it) then tighten up the bolt into the forks (not too tight but enough to hold it all firm) then finish by tightening up fully the stem bolts.

bob's your uncle mate!   :shocked:  :-\  ;D

or just bring it all to MK and we'll help you out.....but if you do get the cups put into the frame first as this can be a crappy job  :daumenhoch:

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Wow :shocked: I actually follow what you have written Rob, took a couple of times to read but very comprehensive nevertheless :4_17_5: It does sound rather fiddly like you say and I have a tendency to over tighten things to breaking point (which I've done in the past)!! I know what you mean about the cups....large mallet, a piece of 4 by 4 and brute strength :knuppel2:

By the way, if I have room in the car (I doubt it) to bring it along to MK, I might take up the offer...just hope everyone aint rat-arsed or spaced beforehand!!

Paul

Vans Style

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Once you've done a few they're a 5 minute job from start to finish mate......by all means bring it along and myslef and a few others will gladly help you out mate  :daumenhoch:

nice clean forks though mate!!  you should ask Greenmachine if he's got a frame to go with it?  as when i picked up mine off the bay from him (£19 by the way) asked him about anything else and he found the forks and bars......the lot including the bars cost me £50! and the bars are very rare now!

wildwood1971

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:01 PM »
put the cups in the freezer over night - they go in much easier  ;)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:04 PM »
i won the threaded ones, 99p, so still bargains out there if you think outside of the box, love mcs stuff

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:37 PM »
if you struggle with the star nut/bolt try one of these

http://http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=17766

i use them on my MTB's i can never get the star nut in right

priv

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 08:39 PM by priv »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Fork Me.....a Bargain?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx