gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Training
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Training  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Training
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Well as I've decided to attack the OSWS this year in preperation for a championship assault in the OSSS '08 I thought I'd take advantage of my unemployed status to get some serious training in while I can.

I'm fit enought to ride round hersden at a full pelt but I'm worried that the bigger tracks will have me running out of puff about 3/4 of the way round so I've taken up running in order to help me loose weight and also increase fitness.

So far I've been jogging round a set route of about 1 mile everynight and upping the pace periodically for about 400m to simulate riding a full track at speed.

I've also been doing some free weights in order to increase overall strength.

So far I've been aching like buggery but I've been stretching and warming up and warming down so i don't think i'm going to be doing any harm.

Already though I can feel the difference though as I'm feeling a lot better physically and it's also helping me focus on what i eat as well. I've lost almost a stone so far this year and my goal is to lose another before the start of the OSWS starts. Should make the power to weight ratio a bit better anyway.

I know Ratty and WebDawg have been training with CK at Daggers but what training has everyne else been doing and do you have any pointers or advice?

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:07 PM »
hiya Zippy

I need to get some fitness training in, too.  Running isn't that good for my knees though so not good for me.  As bmx racing is more a 'sprinting' sport, my PE teacher (bitd) told me to train by sprinting 100m then walking back, then sprinting again and keep doing that, say about 10 times, til you're knackered.  I'm off on my MB to get fitter, bit more fun, too, hate running.

I'm sure other peeps will have suggestions but will they tell you, that is the question  :)  :LolLolLolLol:

muttley

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:12 PM »
Charlton Wednesday's and Fridays, might have to take in BAD on a Thursday too.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:20 PM »
I'd love to go to Daggers on a Thursday but it's a bit too far and expensive for me to get to from Folkestone.

I'm also going to get out in the forest on my mountain bike as well. I'd ideally love to ride my BMX more but the nearest place is Hersden and that's 30 miles away.

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Are there any MB tracks near you, Zippy?  I'm off to Bedgebury, going to have a look at their single track and free ride courses, not sure what they entail, though.  I'm hoping the free ride thing will have some dirt type jumps on it like a track, which I could take the bmx on.  I've never been on a free ride course, so may be someone could fill me in on what to expect  :D

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:32 PM »
There's Barham Forest just outside Canterbury which is really good and has lots of fire trails and some great single track. It does have a freeride section but unless you've got balls of steel and about 6 inches of travel then forget it.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:33 PM »
My training consists of perhaps once a week/fornight at Braintree track for about an hour, and about 10 pints a week  :daumenhoch:

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 12:36 PM »
unless you've got balls of steel and about 6 inches of travel then forget it.  :LolLolLolLol:

Mmm, maybe not for me, then  :-\  self preservation and all that.

DR VINOAH

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 12:37 PM »
my mid week training consists of riding up a local hill
thats long n steep
i do this sitting down,it helps your thigh area,
also we have near me a very large sports field
4x round that ,split into sprints of 2,4,6,8 in each lap

i dont do jogging on the account of the amount of long distance running
i did as a kid @school,i,ll be facked if im doing all that again :LolLolLolLol:

have the OSSS noticed that even though i,m not racing
i,m still watching the gate ,getting the timing,by wait for it
taking your pix :LolLolLolLol:

my favourite training comes the night b4 a race
were i get totally smashed upon the ARK;D

bmx-796

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06 PM »
my training is smoke about 40 fags a day and think about the rest

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 01:15 PM »
T R A I N I N G - what's that??  Isn't that also called commuting, ie. when you travel by TRAIN to London or your place of work??  I'm with 796's regime.  Far more civilised and condusive to the spirit of OSSS.  ;) Humps 

bmx-796

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 01:48 PM »
let,s keep osss fun

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 02:09 PM »
True, it's all about fun and I find nothing more fun than wining.  :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously though it's a two fold reason for the training really. I want to be as fit as possible for a potential fitness test I may have coming up and also because i'm 35 and don't want to be a 40 year old blimp that hasn't got the energy to play with his kids.

It's also part of a new philosophy I've been thinking about as well in that I've only got one life and I want to live it to the maximum. Everyday I don't achieve something is a wasted day. It's also about goals as well. I have three main goals for this year and I expect to see them achieved. ;)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Are there any MB tracks near you, Zippy?  I'm off to Bedgebury, going to have a look at their single track and free ride courses, not sure what they entail, though.  I'm hoping the free ride thing will have some dirt type jumps on it like a track, which I could take the bmx on.  I've never been on a free ride course, so may be someone could fill me in on what to expect  :D

lucy this is a freeride course,but a bit smaller than this

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0PCtjDjzJU&mode=related&search=

priv

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 08:57 PM »
As its well documented by now (  :LolLolLolLol: ) I lost 5 stones a few years ago in order to become a mountain bike guide, since then I have religiously hit the gym/ridden my road bike/MTB and done spinning classes in a battle to keep fit

BUT since my G/F got pregnant I have backed right off my "cross training" and just ridden my BMX when I get chance and my riding has improved (a little) but the main thing is I am having fun again and not feeling like I HAVE to train and end up feeling like a hamster in a wheel  :uglystupid2:

We are never gonna be pro athelets so I suggest a healthy lifestyle and do some exercise 3-5 times a week but make it fun or you will burn out double quick
 :) DINGO :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:13 PM »

have the OSSS noticed that even though i,m not racing
i,m still watching the gate ,getting the timing,by wait for it
taking your pix :LolLolLolLol:

So I have scared you shitless when I come out of that gate now Steve  >:D I even scare myself when my front wheel skims the top of the gate as I fire into first place :angel:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Webdawg

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 09:23 PM »
dreeeeeeeeeeaaam dream dream dream dream :LolLolLolLol: :P

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 09:51 PM »

priv

I'm doing this stuff all the time, Priv, so not a problem   :D

Fook, only joking, that is just madness  :crazy2:

nic968

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13 PM »
 ....and here's what the top of the game was doing....

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 03:32 PM »

priv

The geezer who didn't land the drop-off  ........................  must have spent too long watching me OUCH  :shocked:  :LolLolLolLol:

zed4130

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 03:35 PM »
get a road bike ,and get some miles in  :daumenhoch: good for sprint practice, track stands , and long hill climbs  :daumenhoch:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 03:58 PM »
let,s keep osss fun

tony

my fitness regime would not change
if i were racing or  not
 and if i wasnt even into bmx for that matter
i would still train,but on a mtb

in keeping with your comment

OSSS is fun

and keeping fit is fun

Flying_fox

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 07:10 PM »
I was fitter then the butchers dog before I buggered myself up, 8 or 9 weeks off my bike and I put on a stone through beer and food. >:(

Now I can ride 'gently' I've been to gates a few times over the last week or so, the sprints and track sessions are starting to pay off. I can feel the pull coming back to my legs and the pop is coming back to my jumping. I'm taking it steady because if I crash the shoulder is going to go again and I'll be back to square one. Give it another month or so I'll be fit enough to race. The summers here(ish) so I'll be riding tracks 3 or 4 times a week (baby and missus permitting) and I'll be back to my old self in no time.

Sod the gym it bores me to tears, riding BMX is much more fun. And if you train too hard for Masters it's cheating and looked down on nearly much as clipping in. ;)

I must admit I've not been on a good XC ride for ages, I should coz theres loads of places like Wendover and Chicksands near me, I just never seem to find the time to go (too much racing BMX).

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:35 PM »
i agree with flying fox, you can do all your training on ya bmx, when i raced i used to ride down country/dirt footpaths - great for sprints, and pretty exhilerating too, used to scare the poo out of people walking their dogs  ::)

i'll prob get back into it when the littleun is old enough  :daumenhoch:

selfpreservation

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 12:21 AM »
if you wanna be a fast at cycling you need to increase your cardio vascular ability circuit training spin class skipping aerobics , sprinting cage fighting LOL but i dont reckon it will prepare you for the cahoonas it takes to get pole position in a bmx race , that takes experience and passion and a desire to win you cant train for that its a personalty trait ,  personally the concept of  competition is abhorrant to me the concept of winning is not on my list of objectives in life so id be rubbish at racing but all the best

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Training

gfxgfx
gfx gfx