gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old School Race Wear
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old School Race Wear  (Read 1371 times)

Tricky

Old School Race Wear
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Hi all,
I have been off the site, for a while...
Having just logged back on last week, i seem to be noticing alot of race meetings going on.  I have just rebuilt my Proline II which is good to go. 
Unfortunately my old school kit wont fit, surprise surprise :(
I was just wondering what the kids are wearing these days???

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Old School Race Wear
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:08 PM »
Have a look through the race threads, give you plenty of ideas..
Dont rely on OS protection, 25 year old skid lids will not protect you :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Fiolas Lovechild

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:16 PM »
 :) Motocross gear is your best bet you can pick up a lightweight lid for around £30 ish quid , i paid £10 for an oneal race shirt brand new , but going with rattys advice us oldens I reckon require a minimum of elbow, knee and shin pads again these are cheap , mine saved me from another skin graph op this Saturday at Hersden check out evil bay your'll find it all on there.  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:http://

Tricky

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:25 PM »
Yeah, i have had a look through the pics, on the site..I was gonna get a new lid and top, is there no rules on race pants, looks like some people are wearing jeans,
Ratty, You look well padded or is that natural padding ;)

I need some practice, still wobbling at the moment, i have not rode a BMX for twenty years, it feels so small

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 11:29 PM »
pmsl, that natural padding, but as i loose weight im getting better protaction. I was wearing jeans in that race, but i had hip protection down there. I crashed at dagenham a month ago without protection and the resulting bruise covered the whole top of my thigh. as Russ said any protection you can get. Also consider getting body armour, makes you look hard as well (a Zippy) :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

KGB Matt

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:49 AM »
I would have to concur...

Also i would say that if you are going to wear jeans or cords then shin/knee pads are a must.
My knee is in shreads again (2nd time thiis season) and it bloody hurts. :tickedoff: :uglystupid2: :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Protection is cheaper than time off work.

Matt

mark 2

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19 AM »
And I don't know why race shirt manufacturers thought 3mm of foam in the elbows will protect anything....

Trev

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 01:25 AM »
come on, don't be tarts.... race in shorts and a RAD tee....

sorry i don't have anything constructive to say on this thread....  :-[

mark 2

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 01:28 AM »
Speedos, shower sandals and a splash of cologne? That's what a real man would wear.....

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 02:07 AM »
Pads gloves and a helmet yeah, but i still think all that uniform stuff looks g-a-y.....

:crazy2:

KGB Matt

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Pads gloves and a helmet yeah, but i still think all that uniform stuff looks g-a-y.....

:crazy2:

In all honesty id rather look g-a-y than look like ive been attacked with a cheese grater.  :knuppel2: >:D  :tickedoff:

Matt

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:22 PM »
I wore arm and leg protection but want to get some body protection as well.  Need to go somewhere for a fitting, don't know where though.  :-\

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I wear the full protection set up.

MX helmet
Body protection
knee pads
MX shirt
MX gloves
Freestyle MX trousers (because I hate the elasticated ankles normal MX trousers have)

You can never have too much protection and we all have to go to work on Mondays, I don't think my Boss would appreciate me calling in sick because I have fell off of my BMX.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 09:17 PM »
British Cycling rules say:

4.13   Clothing and Safety Equipment
4.13.1   Riders must wear the following gear whenever they are riding a bicycle on the track:
4.13.2   Helmets of either full face or open face construction are permitted. It is recommended that open face helmets should be equipped with mouth protectors. Helmets must cover the rider’s ears and provide protection to the back of the skull.  Ventilation holes only are permitted and they must not be large enough for any part of the cycle to penetrate the shell.  The securing straps must be securely tightened.
4.13.3   For the purpose of BMX training outside of a race weekend, BMX Novice racing and MTB racing at BMX events, helmets conforming to the standards recognised within BC Technical Regulation 8.6 are permitted.
4.13.4   Long-sleeved shirts whose sleeves extend down to the rider’s wrists.
4.13.5   Long pants made of tear-resistant material whose legs must be tight fitting at the ankles.  Short pants made of tear-resistant material are permitted if used together with knee and shin protection with a rigid surface.
4.13.6   Gloves whose fingers completely cover the rider’s fingertips.
4.13.7   Elbow pads or “sliders” at any track whose riding surface consists of either wood or concrete.
4.13.8   It is recommended that riders wear trousers made of denim or other tear and abrasion resistant fabric, and footwear with soft flexible soles whenever they are riding a bicycle on the track. 

These rules apply to National and Regional events and you should find them applicable to Club events too although some flexibility seems to exist.  The big change for 2007 is the "Short pants" rule which is in line with the MTB brigade.   The "footware with soft flexible soles" is a recommendation which allows in the use of cleated shoes and SPDs; but let's not go there!! 

The rules re BMX nowadays can be found at http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=456&sID=122 and make for interesting reading.

Humps

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 12:29 AM »
that must be the southern rules.onion gravy on mushy peas is all us northern gadgeys need.(ps)i will be the one with the corned beef arse cheeks at MK.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:31 AM by boofy44 »

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 09:22 AM »
I wore arm and leg protection but want to get some body protection as well.  Need to go somewhere for a fitting, don't know where though.  :-\

Hi Lou ,

Look around for a Motocross or Downhill MTB shop , you should be able to try armour on at these shops  :daumenhoch:

highrisedrifter

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 05:38 PM »
Does anyone know a good place to go for OS racewear please?

I'd like a set of Skyway or Haro race clothes to go over my body armour. Preferably not the shiny material though as that looks awful.

Cheers

HRD

magna13

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 08:28 PM »
vert-ego have haro pants for sale

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old School Race Wear

gfxgfx
gfx gfx