gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 11:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #2
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mons coverage #2  (Read 2751 times)

SaMAlex

Mons coverage #2
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:30 PM »
These are scans from BMX Action bike, issue 33. You can read the text as to how a rider, fresh from pipeline found himself in Banbury but it was enough to get “the magazine” over again. This time TLB came with Tony Mackenzie, Dave Curry and Damon Nicholls. And judging from the background shots, I missed it again.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Mons coverage #2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:33 PM »
i sold Tony Mackenzie that same magazine a while back.
making t'shirts in the states i think.
dave the bmxing gypo

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:38 PM »
When Andy S was over last summer I tried to dig out my copys of the mags for him to look through but I couldnt find them. I had a look on ebay and issue 33 was there. I got it (for about 5) and when it came, the center spread was missing! I only got it for the 2 pics of Andy and one wasnt there. At least I have found my copys now. I think I have 3 more Mons features still to scan

rory

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:43 PM »
rad stuff

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:40 PM »
ace pics
check the vert squirt on his loopy ripper!!
also for all those who flamed me in my tuff wheels thread check the riders on alloys.

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:49 PM »
That blue ripper is in my shed right now. Ian gave me the OK to get it fixed up for him. He got some great shots that day but they used that one cos it was a nice overview of the ramp.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Way Rad! Andy, I think that was the fist time I you and Randy. Well impressed with your Town and County sposorship. T&C was and still is the bomb. Great stuff.

andy619

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:34 PM »
Yeah that was the first time we met Damon.  I can still remember that day very well, I had so much fun.  I had just found Mon's ramp the weekend before that.  Mon called me on a thursday or friday before that shoot to tell me that you guys were coming over to ride and that there might be a magazine photographer there.  Dave Curry wanted my oakley sunglasses soooo much, I didn't want to sell them but for 80 quid.....  Werzel rode a bike that day :wtf:
Town and Country really started to flow the gear after that cover. 
I think about how lucky I was, how if I hadn't left my gt in that Banbury bike shop when I went to the chip shop down the road, I would have never met up with Darryl and probably wouldn't have met Mon or found his ramp.  I would not have moved to England in 86, and I probably would not have met you guys and made so many friends there.  I was very fortunate and consider every moment I spent there as a blessing.   

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 08:48 PM »
andy i got an action bike with sean goff's birthday party in it, and it credits you under a pic of a guy doing a one footed boneless off a flyoff ramp?

you got some skate skills too if i got the right guy!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00 PM »
You got a ride yet Andy ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 09:05 PM »
nice scans alex  :daumenhoch: brings back a few memories  of dying to read the latest issue bitd, got any more to show ?

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 09:13 PM »
andy i got an action bike with sean goff's birthday party in it, and it credits you under a pic of a guy doing a one footed boneless off a flyoff ramp?

Andy ruled on a board too. I would take a guess that he got more magazine pics than anyone on a bike AND on a skateboard!

nice scans alex  :daumenhoch: brings back a few memories  of dying to read the latest issue bitd, got any more to show ?

I have got 3 or 4 more mags with Mons jams in them. I will try and get thems scanned tomorrow.

andy619

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 09:21 PM »

Yep that was me.  I went to Sean's birthday jam to watch and drink beer but everyone convinced me to skate so I borrowed a skateboard from a girl that was using it for a seat and drank beer afterwards.  The magazine picture was a nice little bonus.
I found out that if I went to a half-pipe owned by a skater I stood a much better chance of riding it with my bike when I skated it first.  Once they got to know me and see that I could skate I would ask if I could ride my bike on it, usually I did get to ride my bike.  I rode a lot of quality hardcore skate ramps that way :daumenhoch:  I got to ride Warrington (the Empire Skate Building with Danze and Gary Lee that way.  If I got out of my car with my bike first then I usually got run off.   :knuppel2:

andy619

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:28 PM »
You got a ride yet Andy ?

Almost, I didn't want to keep bugging Carlo so I got a late 90's Giant F & F and a few other parts from a friend.  I called another friend that I gave a complete bike (87 haro master with 82 profile cranks and a bunch of nice parts) to and he is going to buy the rest of the parts and put it together for me.  I'm still looking forward to getting a Proper bike though.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Hows the riding scene for us old guys over there Andy, have you got someone you can ride with and some good riding spots ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 09:43 PM »
some truely amazing riding must have been had at mons ramp and andy your riding was  
bloody amazing like a few others on hear .nice one  .i grew looking at them mags wishing
i could ride them ramps and be as good as that.i wasnt rubbish but different league.  ;)
does mons ramp live on.
   dan.

SaMAlex

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Mons ramp was at his folks house that is about 10, well cycled miles outside banbury. When Mon finally had enough of the ramps, after many years of dealing with the bad side of a great, semi public skatepark at your house, he took them down. Took them down by driving a tractor across them. They are long long gone, but Mon played, and continues to play a big part in trying to get a good skatepark in Oxford.

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Bumped cos final scans on the way :)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 06:26 PM »

lovin the yellow GT on the front cover mr shohara

DR VINOAH

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08 PM »
truley rad days

i had in all honesty quit riding bmx by the time all the mons era had kicked
but i still bought action bike up to about 87
and bwoy you lot was smashing it :smitten:

the funny thing that always makes me chuckle
is the clothing,
all the T&C,anarchic adjustment,stussy gear etc was de riguer for me in the early acid house days :)

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 08:16 PM »
i've got the centre pages, i had them on my bedroom wall, still got blue tack on them :) wicked pics

rory

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 10:32 PM »
alex , was that the sesh when a band played on the flatbottom :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Na, that was at one of the big, all weekend skate comps in 1987. There was a second Half pipe in one of the barns and at there was a big party with the Stupids playing on the flat bottom.

rory

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 10:45 PM »
cool , the stupids  :)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 07:27 AM »

i can still remember that front cover like it was yesterday, think one of my all time favourite photos

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mons coverage #2

gfxgfx
gfx gfx