gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 01:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GT Pro Series
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1985 GT Pro Series  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
1985 GT Pro Series
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Ok, another itch is getting scratched. This is another one to tick off from the wish list.

I sold a Burner I had partially built so decided that a new build was in order. BBag had this up for a good price and said that the chrome was peeling in places, so I took a punt on it anyway with the plan to powder coat it.

The chrome as you can see on the main tubes is fairly good, but there's a few nasty areas, which BBag had said.

So going with the powder coat route, I chatted with the legend that is SBD,  and he said he'd happily powder it, but said that potentially the chrome could peel further and damage Dan's work.

So I got in touch with a few chromers, and even got quoted for a rechrome, which was between £250-£300. So with Dan's advice, the frame and forks were boxed up and sent to Niphos Metal Finishing in Crewe for stripping at a cost of £50.

I've instructed these guys at Niphos to send straight to Dan for gloss black powder once done, so in the meantime, I've been collecting parts for it.

Sent while strangling Kojak from my iPhone
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:45 PM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 1985 GT Pro Series
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22 PM »
A shame the chrome was too gone in parts to keep as a survivor but a great call on the black and really looking forward to seeing this built up Dan.   :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:26 PM »
A shame the chrome was too gone in parts to keep as a survivor but a great call on the black and really looking forward to seeing this built up Dan.   :daumenhoch:

Cheers Doug, I know, survivors are really cool IMO, but this is too far gone. I got 4 chrome race bikes already, so wanted to take a different turn.

Offline Howser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:35 PM »
And it's nice too have a choice of your own colour aswell.  The spokes are ready to be posted on Tuesday - I'll pm you when they're on their way  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45 PM »
And it's nice too have a choice of your own colour aswell.  The spokes are ready to be posted on Tuesday - I'll pm you when they're on their way  :daumenhoch:

No rush Bro.  ;)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:11 PM »
You won't regret your punt  :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I think I'm regretting buying the pad set though.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:02 AM »
So do you not think the pads will go with it dan? Is it a semi black gloss you going for on the F&F,i got my torker F&F done in semi black gloss and it looks sweet,cant wait to build it,it will match my audi tts :) lol but having probs building these z rims in 4x pattern

graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:51 AM »
So do you not think the pads will go with it dan? Is it a semi black gloss you going for on the F&F,i got my torker F&F done in semi black gloss and it looks sweet,cant wait to build it,it will match my audi tts :) lol but having probs building these z rims in 4x pattern

graham

My problem with the pads are that with them being blue and yellow, the decals are red and yellow, so will clash IMO, unless I can get Del to do custom decals.  :-\

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Think the red might look nicer against the black of the F&F thats just my opinion,can you not swap the pads maybe someone might have the colours of the decals you got :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Think the red might look nicer against the black of the F&F thats just my opinion,can you not swap the pads maybe someone might have the colours of the decals you got :daumenhoch:

I think I'm going with chrome backed decals anyway mate. :-\

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Ah your safe there then mate ;) am trying to build these bloody wheels for the torker and am not having much luck...nightmare  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Please your getting the chrome removed before powder. I like to think this is the right way to do it  :daumenhoch:

That will look  8) in black and chrome  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Ive had a message off Niphos today, to say that the f/f have been stripped, and they want paying, £50+VAT...

...VAT wasn't fookin' mentioned when I got a quote!!!  >:(

But, i'm happy that this will ne reet for Dan, and know that the end result will be worth the extra couple of quid in the end.

I've decided to move the pads on, and swerve the chrome/silver look for now, this look will be better on the Hutch I have in my head. :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 07:21 PM »
So what colour have you settled for on the F&F dan :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 08:19 PM »
So what colour have you settled for on the F&F dan :daumenhoch:

I'm gonna stay with black mate.  :smitten:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45 AM »
Cool  :daumenhoch: i was never ever a lover of black bikes or parts etc ecen as a young bandit i didnt like the colour for a bike or parts,but that has changed in the last 3-4 weeks for some reason,i think that a good black makes a bike rich looking or am i talking jibber jabber  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51 PM »
The chrome strip on this has been paid for, it's boxed up and getting collected on Monday for the next stage of its journey, to Dagenham.  :)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Great stuff Dan. Nice to see you have another build on the go. I'm sure it will be a belter. I'm sure Del will be able to sort you out with some custom decals if needed. I thought I was done building, but i was wrong.. This bmx lark is seriously addictive.... :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:08 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Great stuff Dan. Nice to see you have another build on the go. I'm sure it will be a belter. I'm sure Del will be able to sort you out with some custom decals if needed. I thought I was done building, but i was wrong.. This bmx lark is seriously addictive.... :D

I'm sticking with standard decals, but have sold the padset and bought a replacement off Chris.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I've had some update pics off SBD today. It's been said before, and I'll say it again, he is the top man where finishing is concerned.

These were as Dan recieved them from Niphos.

Then, Dan got to work to start his magic on it. He's taken the raw frame set and polished every square inch to get it as smooth and flat as possible.

Knowing Dan's reputation for quality, I reckon this would be mint, just lacquered over the raw metal, but that could be for another project on another day.

I wanted it black as I haven't got a black bike, and I had seen other GT's that looked amazing in black, so Dan cracked on.

This will be with me this week, so I may fit the headset and get an outdoor shot. I know that Dan's pics aren't doing this justice.

This may be my MK rider, that depends on if I don't start getting stuff for the Hutch first, we'll see.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:11 AM by Retrodan72 »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Can't wait to see how this turns out!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Liking the look of this one Dan, you're on a roll bud  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Liking the look of this one Dan, you're on a roll bud  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Chris, the roll will soon be slowing down with the arrival of tiny feet in October.

I had an idea about 2 years ago that I'd like to have one bike in my collection from each of the main remembered manufacturers BITD, so I did a wish list, just by sheer luck a few of them got boxed off, it will be a long time before the last few get ticked off it I'm afraid, my priorities and responsibilities will change soon.  :'(

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Bit of an update on this. Fitted the DC seat clamp, then the Tange MX2 headset which I used a mint polished Tange headlock (I took this off my Kuwie, that now has a black one).

I got the decals off Del this week, really happy with them, so fitted those. Also I've run out of cash with buying the Hutch, so used the seat post and seat from my Aero Pro Burner.

I'm really happy with this so far.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GT Pro Series

gfxgfx
gfx gfx