gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)  (Read 1610 times)

Offline martin46

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Just picked up another Curtis Pro to restore/rebuild. Pic was taken after about 4 hours work removing rust, grime and loads of stickers (forgot to take a before pic :buck2:) Original Decals were unfortunately almost completely faded, but I have plenty of OE sets in my stash to replace them with. It looks really nice in this pic, but there's still a bit of work to get it cleaned up properly. 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:17 PM by martin46 »

Offline vanmanjimmer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 84 Curtis Pro #4
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Hey Mart,

Nice looking frame set. Good work.  :daumenhoch:

Offline martin46

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: 84 Curtis Pro #4
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Hey Mart,

Nice looking frame set. Good work.  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Jim  :)

Offline martin46

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: 84 Curtis Pro #4 (resto updated)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 05:35 PM »
This is coming along nicely now, with the extra time I've had to work on it over xmas.
Everything was pretty much seized solid when I got this bike. The Tuff wheels would barely turn, headset was crunchy and BB was the same. You couldn't pull the brakes at all and removing that god awfull braced lay back post was a total ball ache.
The frame and forks were generally ok, nice and straight with no dents etc, but with quite a lot of surface rust, dirt and the usual pitting on chain stays and fork legs. I'd like to have left the original decals in place really, but they were a bit too far gone for my liking, very faded and skagged with bits missing so reluctantly removed them along with some other old stickers.
As well as that, the previous owner had hand painted the Sugino stem, the DC mx1000 brakes and Shimano PD mx15 pedals with some nasty black shit.
The tyres were some cheap late 90's freestyle/street efforts, so they're gone, along with similar grips, seat clamp, CW copy bars and the aforementioned seat post.
I tried to clean and re-dye the Kashi, but it had to much grease and grime impregnated into it. It came out a really nice red colour, but still looked quite grubby, so I decided to just dye it black and add some new decals.
Anyway this where I've got to so far.

From this:

Stripped and cleaned:

After an oxalic bath, a polish, fresh OE decals, refitted original Tange headset:

Started re-building and offering up parts in the sun today  8)

Still a way to go though. I'm currently stripping the paint of the brakes and pedals, which are faded red anno underneath, so will be gettting a couple of coats of VHT red anno paint to bring them back to life. I'd like to swap the now back to blue Sugino stem for something similar in red, rather than paint it. So if you have anything, please get in touch :daumenhoch: 
Also went with 44t SR ring and spider rather than the originally mounted 42t Tuffneck, so that may be up for grabs soon. Crank and BB are Sugino 180 that came with the bike.
Bars are NOS Curtis pro, I picked up a couple of sets locally just before Xmas. Perfect timing or what  :) Thanks for the heads up dannyrobo  :daumenhoch:

Offline dannyrobo

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25 AM »
no probs mart, pleased i could help  :daumenhoch:

the bikes looking real nice by the way, cant wait to see it finished  :)

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 02:10 PM »
i love that,just how the bikes around my way looked bitd,i love the huge Curtis bars,i had a set of those on my robbo in 85
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Gorgeous  :4_17_5:

I gave up trying to find bars and forks for mine so moved it on... Not one of my better decisions  :crazy2:

Nice to see the big bars - built the real way, not the Rad way  :daumenhoch:

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:32 PM »
looing good mart :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Church

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Never seen this frame before , nice stuff ! Cool rebuild also  :daumenhoch:
WANTED  ********86 REDLINE FORKS PEGS*********  WANTED

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Surprising how a fook awful seatpost can ruin a bike.

Looks ace now  :daumenhoch:

Offline martin46

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 06:02 PM »
In my last post on this thread I was looking for a red stem, something similar to the blue Sugino one that came with the bike. Unfortunately nothing materialised, so I gave the blue Sugino a couple of coats of VHT red anno paint, along with the MX1000 and Shimano SX pedals. I've never used this product before and I have to say that I am very pleased with the results  :)

Just a brake cable, a chain and a nice set of anno red wheel nuts needed to finish.

From this:

To this :)

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
Re: The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Thats lovely  :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The other 84 Curtis Pro (final update 18/02/14)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx