gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  young riders
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: young riders  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Connoor

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
young riders
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Hello everyone..

Im thinking about racing next year but im onlt 21.. ive never raced bmx before (or any other bicycles for that matter) but after browsing the forums, os seems to be the class id ve interested in. Not only because I love the bikes because i want to race for fun and against a laid back bunch of guys. Im from dover but understand the os scene is unfortunately no longer in existence down here, but will be living in newcastle from next year and have heard theres a bit more of a following up north.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers guys,

Connor

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: young riders
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05 AM »
aye up Connor, think you may have missed the boat by 12mths. The north region have been unbelievably supportive of old school but the numbers have dwindled significantly this year. I think there may be an option to race old school next season (unsure) but I feel it will more than likely be the last season if numbers stay low. I raced my last oldschool race this season after being the only rider on 2 occasions to turn up and gates being no higher than 5 or 6 a couple of times. Shame, as the class, the riders and the organisers were a bread apart. BCS stopped recognising the o/s class to qualify for riding nationals so the riders who could still walk or hold their bars after the multiple injuries sustained moved up to either masters or vets. the sight of old bikes flying off the side of tracks and riders collapsing mid race with leg cramps  :LolLolLolLol: is quickly becoming a fond memory. you can ride your o/s in 18+ novice (like I have had to do 4 times this season due to numbers) and just enjoy it before thinking about moving up. North east BMX club have gates and coaching at Hartlepool and willington (sp), not exactly on the door step but Hartlepool track has just been tweaked and is awesome  :daumenhoch: well worth the effort to become a member if you fancy getting into racing and a daft friendly bunch of recently die hard oldschoolers and riders of your own age are there regularly. So maybe catch you there next year  :daumenhoch: just get yourself riding  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Daz knows stuff!

You'll be welcome at any North club race or North regional race on your Old Skool bike or any other bike. Many of us carry the spirit of Old Skool with us at all times, with our love of rubbing shoulders, dislike of devil pedals, and affinity for dirt and RADness.

Old Skoolers on flat pedals banging bars recently (just not on Old Skool bikes):

Offline Connoor

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 12:32 PM »
alright guys cheers for the replies.. such a shame to hear about o/s dwindling in the balance. I've thought about getting to racing for years but have always had visions of being laughed off the track by a bunch of 16 year olds with 10 years of experience under their 28 inch belts..
Id be useless as Ive never ridden a track before, but I just fancied something to do on weekends for a laugh and to meet some new people..
I had looked at hartlepoole since posting and it looks quality.. only 45 mins from where I'll be next year aswell. I'll definitely pop down to the track to soak up the atmosphere and maybe do a couple of laps on a borrowed bike ;) ;) before dishing out for a bike.
Once again cheers for the advice and I'll see you in March!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53 PM »
18+ novice is nothing to be wary of, get riding before you regret it  :daumenhoch:

Offline 750Rush

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I'm 40 and raced 14+ novice in the last two rounds of the London winter series and got my arse whipped! 3rd in both finals...
Race ready...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  young riders

gfxgfx
gfx gfx