gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-upholstering a pivotal seat. (Tutorial of sorts)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Re-upholstering a pivotal seat. (Tutorial of sorts)  (Read 2012 times)

Tachikoma

Re-upholstering a pivotal seat. (Tutorial of sorts)
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:05 PM »
So, in building a new rider I've been attempting (and failing) to keep the costs down, one such cost-cutting measure was a bright (at the time) idea to buy a worn out pivotal seat for cheap and re-upholster it, all things considered i think it went quite well.
Snagged a pivotal seat for a few quid in desperate need of being binned.

So me and oldschoolace set about turning this binfodder in to a nice seat for my new build.

At this point I'd already pulled out the staples, but you can still see how nasty and worn out it is.

After separating the cover from the foam and the seat and giving it a bit of a clean up we're ready to roll.

Due to small pieces of the foam being missing from old tears, and of course small bits here and there pulled off by the old adhesive, we used some cheap packing foam as an in-between to smooth things out and hide the defects.

Along side we have the leatherette cover we'll be using, with the hex key hole nicely stitched in place by oldschoolace (ooooh matron!)

After positioning the sewn hole above the seats main bolt we tension the fabric/material and throw in two heavy duty staples to hold things in place.

After working your way around the edge, pulling the material to the right position and level of stretch, banging in a few more staples as you go, you can cut off some of the excess material to help move things along.

With that out of the way you can bang a fair few more staples in, taking care to avoid the holes needed to re-attach the plastic bumper sections.

Once all the staples are in, you're ready to finish off with trimming any excess portions and screwing the bumpers back on.

All done!

Just a fair warning, try and direct staples inwards, and check that you cant feel them after every single one you bang in, unless of course you're alright with the idea of ripping a hole in your gonads every time you sit down of course.

Matches my tanwall momentums perfectly!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:09 PM by Tachikoma »

griff

Re: Re-upholstering a pivotal seat. (Tutorial of sorts)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01 PM »
that looks really good - the thing I'd struggle most with though is the 'buttonhole'
have a pivotal seat here that I'm not keen on & what I hate about them is that hole you get for the allen key

although since I can't see myself ever needing to adjust it might just try what you did minus the sewing bit  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Just to add to Tachi's post, strechy fabric works better than the faux suede we used. It reduces/eradicates the slight ripple under the seat where the fabric gathers.

For the hole, if your missus doesnt have a sewing machine a fabric rivet like this is just as effective and only a couple of bob for a packet of 20 or so. (ignore the yellow bit)

Just make sure the hole is big enough for the allen key  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Awesome

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Re-upholstering a pivotal seat. (Tutorial of sorts)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx