gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ODI Toadstools
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ODI Toadstools  (Read 1375 times)

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
ODI Toadstools
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought what are advertised to be ODI Toadstools from Alan's BMX.  The reason for buying these is that they are advertised as being as close to the original mushrooms you can get.  I've received them now, but they are not how I remember genuine mushroom grips from the early 80's. I remember mushrooms being very soft with a bulge in the centre, however, these are are a harder compound and flat.  The decals on the grip say 'Toadstool' around the end.  These just don't seem right to me and the packet they come in do not mention ODI.

Has anyone bought these and if so are they genuine ?  I am new to this all (restoring BMX), so I am happy to be corrected but they don't seem to be genuine to me !

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: ODI Toadstools
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I think you've confirmed my thoughts.  ODI not mentioned anywhere on there.

Not very happy as I thought Alan's bmx had a decent reputation.  Unfortunately, can't post pictures, but you can view them on the website.

Oh well, you live and you learn, anyone know where to get originals, in black ?

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:13 PM »
They occasionally come up on ebay, but are more often than not the MX ones, with a slightly bigger bore on the RH grip to accomodate the throttle bits, easily overcome by wrapping some sticky back vinyl around the bar first, you cant feel the difference.

Still have the mushroom on the end, and a cog embossed on the lever side of the flange which i don't recall the old bmx ones having.

proper ones do come up, but rarely.
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09 PM »
sometimes they do not always have odi embossed/printed on them but they are manufactured by odi

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Early-MTB-ODI-Toadstool-Grips-Fixie-Single-Speed-BMX-/130450692837?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f779ae5

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Are these the ones you have bought?

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=116_123&products_id=3036

Product description reads...

• Made by ODI, who made the original Mushroom grips back in the 80's.
• Flanged grips, with round profile and closed end.
• Economic PVC material and Mushroom ribs.
• Legendary mushroom pattern helps reduce fatigue.
• Economic PVC material keeps the price low.
• These are the cloest modern equivalent to the original olschool ODI 'Mushroom' grips.
• Black.

Are you really sure you bought what you thought you bought? 

I don't think you have been duped at all, ODI don't make the original ones anymore and you bought "the closet modern equivalent".

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53 PM »
They are the ones.

The reason for asking is, as I remember back in the day, you used to get copies of mushrooms which were a harder compound rubber and shiney to look at.  The original mushrooms were a very soft rubber compound and dull in comparison.

I wasn't sure whether or not the ones from Alan's were indeed ODI because there were  no markings to confirm on the packaging.

Happy to be corrected (that was the reason for posting) and apologies to Alan's for doubting but I am a little disappointed that the rubber compound is no where near the same.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:06 AM »
They are the ones.

The reason for asking is, as I remember back in the day, you used to get copies of mushrooms which were a harder compound rubber and shiney to look at.  The original mushrooms were a very soft rubber compound and dull in comparison.

I wasn't sure whether or not the ones from Alan's were indeed ODI because there were  no markings to confirm on the packaging.

Happy to be corrected (that was the reason for posting) and apologies to Alan's for doubting but I am a little disappointed that the rubber compound is no where near the same.

I reckon you've got the ODI ones but to be fair even today's A'ME Grips feel different.  I think something gets lot in the translation of H&S and the environmental impacts of manufacturing so compounds are very different from BITD :(.  The dual colour Mushrooms come a lot still though so keep your eye out on the For Sale section or eBay and I'm sure a pair of decent ones will come up soon  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:23 AM »
The product description does say that they're made from PVC which is plastic not rubber.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ODI Toadstools

gfxgfx
gfx gfx