gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  applying decals
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: applying decals  (Read 1111 times)

skyway67

applying decals
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:34 PM »
any info on applying decals the best way without messing them up  :-\

cheers guys

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: applying decals
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Wash your hands properly, then do it again.

clean the frame properly, then do it again.

offer up the decal in postion, with the backing still on, when happy put a mark a millimetre or so around the final position

wash your hands again, and dry them, properly, drink your tea, if you rush, you will c0ck up

have another cup of tea,

peel off the backing paper, after washing and drying your hands, holding decal by the edges as much as possible, locate between the previously applied marks. smooth out when happy with position with a duster, tucking the end of the duster up your cuff, so as not to get yellow fluff on the sticky stuff

Like most things in life, time and prep make for a better job! don't rush it, and clean your hands!!!
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

skyway67

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:00 PM »
i was afraid of getting finger prints on the sticky side

i had the frame off a member on here and want to do it proud

many thanks for the info  :)

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Good advice from Munnyella there , it may sound like he's got  a cleanliness fixation , but he's so right  :daumenhoch:

Also a tip , which doesn't sound like it will work , but it does is use a fine spray like from a hand plant sprayer,with a water solution , with a tiny tiny  bit washing liquid in .
Finely spray the area and then apply the decal , after a trial mark up . you can actually slide it perfectly if you  need to adjust a mm or 2 either direction and you also have less chance of getting bubbles behind decal.. It does dry out perfectly , don't worry  :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 05:38 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:33 PM »
^^^^
True about the soapy water, good especially on clear backing decals,  doesn't always look good straight away, but will dry out clearly in a day or 2.

Tme and cleanliness, confidence and time, good light and space. wash your hands!!!!
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

skyway67

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:01 PM »
thanks for all the great tips guys  ;)

the soapy water sounds scary but i'm sure its well proven ,i'll post some more pics up as the project progresses

here's the bike so far

N13L VV

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:43 PM »
mate you are right in what you say about being worriedabout fingerprintson the clear backing , To avoid this tear off a little of the nonstick  backing and use this to hold with your finger and thumb and you will avoid any unwanted finger or thumb prints .  I prefer to apply them dry but the wet way gives you a little more forgiveness if your nervous .   Just take your time and be careful not to crease , bubbles can be sorted but creases will mark the vinyl.  ;)   .    You'll be grand mate ,  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I put a drop of washing up liquid in a cup of water and brush that on the frame with a paint brush and it gives you ample slip to move the sucker about  :daumenhoch:

N13L VV

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50 PM »
Also get it perfectly lined up along the central rib of the downtube so its perfectly even on both sides , then smooth down the centre with a squeege or your thumb in a rag then you can slowly work each side down carefully side to side working the air out on the way down.
Heres a pic or two from when i was doing some of mine . 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:57 PM by N13L VV »

skyway67

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:03 PM »
all decals finally stuck in place  ;D

i used the dry method with bits of backing to help keep finger  prints off  in the end

large down tube decal went on easier than i thought !

washed my hands so many times the liquid soaps run out  :2funny:

thanks every one for your words of wisdom i really do appreciate it

i'll build the rest of the bike up tommorow and post some pics up

daz

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  applying decals

gfxgfx
gfx gfx