gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Head Sets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Head Sets  (Read 789 times)

Head Sets
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Ok Guys,

Be gentle with me hear I'm fairly new to all this!

I'm building up a 1985 Skyway Streetbeat, I've gathered all the bits I 'thought' I needed and have just started to assemble, well kinda.

I started with putting the frame and forks together, this a NOS frameset whether it makes a difference? I have a Odyessey Dynatron head set, thread 24tpi which seems correct,Head Tube 32.5mm, Crown Race 26.4mm.

The problem I have encountered is it all seems VERY tight, I have the top section which has fitted into the frame, the bottom section feels as if it may go in but seems like it will need more pressure than I imagined, I think I could press it in with a g-clamp and pieces of wood, but don't know whether this is usual, or if it's due to paint on the frame? The bottom section seems very tight on the very bottom section of the fork where it appears it needs to go over a larger section?

I don't know if any of this is making sense? or whether I have the wrong headset?  But I'm sure people on here with experience and knowledge may know.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Jo

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Head Sets
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Firstly the cups are meant to be pretty tight in the frame.....they will need pressing on with a proper press or the old blocks of wood and clamp.  Secondly, those dynatron headsets are wank......it will constantly come loose. Get a beartrap 2 as they just work and more era correct as well.  :daumenhoch:

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Pickle,

Thanks,

Just looked on the bay theres one there for 21.99p, sound ok?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Yeah that's bang on  :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Also when you get the headset, stick the two cups that press into the frame in the freezer for a day or so, they go in much easier & the bottom ring that goes on the forks, leave in boiling water before trying to fit  :daumenhoch:

This only expands or contracts a tiny bit, but it does make it easier to install  :)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08 PM »
I had some right trouble getting a crown race (bit on the forks) the other day, in the end i had to get the dremel out and file it out and make the hole slightly larger.  Yep .. it's all supposed to be very tight

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Wildon,

I was thinking along those lines myself!  But now will try the freezer and hot water thing first!!

Guys, Thankyou, your making a nearly middle aged mans life easier.

Right, going to order that Beartrap!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Head Sets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx