gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 05:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hollow Stem Bolts BITD....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hollow Stem Bolts BITD....  (Read 1670 times)

ThisBitterPill

Hollow Stem Bolts BITD....
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Hi Guys,

Still gathering parts for my DP and I'm slowly getting there.... ;)

While deciding on the brake set-up I have been trying to cast my mind back into the ether regarding my fitting a hollow stem bolt....

My BITD DP ran a Tioga Task Force stem which has a recessed allen bolt down the steerer....

Now I can vividly remember fitting a hollow stem bolt and running my white cable down through it to the front caliper and spinning the bars in amazement at no tanglies!

This would have been just around the time that the Potts Mod came out....1984/5 I think

So the things that are puzzling me are the following:

1) Who actually made the original Potts Mod bolt (I'm assuming I bought one from my LBS?)

2) How would I have fitted it to my Tioga with its recessed bolt....?

Cheers!

Daz

:)

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Hollow Stem Bolts BITD....
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 06:23 PM »
i think it may have been acs that made them, not positive tho. i remember having one too that tightened using an allen key, once your cable was in you couldn't  tighten it anymore. :uglystupid2:

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:08 PM »
Cheers mate....I was thinking my BITD one was an allen key head too....Maybe I'm not going mad after all!?  :idiot2:

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 11:28 PM »
ive got a few acs ones and odessey ones not sure who was first though

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:28 PM »
odyssey.lol

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55 PM »
ACS stem and bolt combo's were out in mid 84, not sure when the bolts were sold seperate, but they were bolts, not the allen key type. The ACS bolts you normally see for sale in the green packets are later, but similar to the early ones if i remember right......

Steve Potts , Owner of Bicycle source, came up with the idea early 84 (Mar,Apr)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 06:16 PM by JAY »

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:26 PM »
ACS stem and bolt combo's were out in mid 84, not sure when the bolts were sold seperate, but they were bolts, not the allen key type. The ACS bolts you normally see for sale in the green packets are later, but similar to the early ones if i remember right......

Steve Potts , Owner of Bicycle source, came up with the idea early 84 (Mar,Apr)

Was Steve Potts, Mike Buff's brother or related t him  :-\

I remember buying my first potts mode bolt, it had a small hole just big enough for the inner brake cable  ??? & it didn't work very well either  ::)

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Yeah, Steve was Mikes brother, and your right, the first bolts were only drilled for the inner cable.......... :daumenhoch:

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Ah those are the ones I'm thinking about....I think the outer cable recessed into the top and then the inner went right through....

I don't recall modding my caliper though so I can't imagine how I fitted it....I was only 15!

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I had one of those first bolts that just the inner cable went through, it was shite and snapped cables on an almost daily basis...  >:(

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Ah those are the ones I'm thinking about....I think the outer cable recessed into the top and then the inner went right through....

I don't recall modding my caliper though so I can't imagine how I fitted it....I was only 15!

Think those recessed cables were a bolt, but i can't be sure about that??? There were alllen head bolts bolts out then aswell as i'm sure i had one and used to tighten it up with a set of grigs. You couldn't do that with a task force stem though of course but you might have had one of the allen type bolts in.

Depends what caliper you had on, 900's and 1000's were a bit tricky for a 15 year old, lol, but reckon standard type calipers would have been a bit easier.......

ThisBitterPill

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Well the only pics I have from BITD is when I had no front brake at all....

But at that stage I had MX1000 copy on the back so I assume I had one on the front too when I had the hollow bolt....

More delving into the memory banks required I think!  :coolsmiley:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:22 PM »
i remember the hole was too small for the outer cable too, what i used to do was cut the outer in half and shave off the plastic on both halves about 3 or 4 inches. it was enough for the outer to just fit inside, it worked even better if you had a clarkes powerglide cable and removed the teflon lining before you cut the outer and then replace it once you had the outer jammed in there. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hollow Stem Bolts BITD....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx