gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 02:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Has every one given up on old school racing?????????????????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has every one given up on old school racing?????????????????  (Read 9428 times)

Tony 1-4

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot of negativity about old school for the coming year? Most threads seem to have replies that people are not gonna bother with it as they are moving up to cruiser.

It would seem a real shame after having fought for so long to get the class recognised for every one to suddenly ditch it.

My little brother got me interested in the sport again but not until the end of the summer. I know it's not the same in winter and I admit to having not gone to some race meets because it's bloody cold but I am (or was) really looking forward to my first full summer series with the old school boys this year.

Can we have a little poll jsut to see roughly how many are still interested? Just relpy even if you're unsure as to whether you're gonna race old school or cruiser in the summer.

I'll gladly start it off and it doesn't have to be a huge reply, just something like this

Yes - old school - East Anglia/South region

(Just interested to see guys and gals, that's all!)

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Has every one given up on old school racing?????????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Hopefully the Summer season will draw back some of the old faces
 and attract the new too  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35 PM »
If all the back-stabbing, slanging matches, threats and general sh1t stops I might even have a go at keepin the back markers company, sadly I feel its a big if :(
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46 PM »
It must be a Southern thing 'cause it's great Up North :daumenhoch:

...even in the Winter...  or Summer ( they're both the same up here) ;D
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 09:50 PM »
it would be great to see it keep going,cant join in myself but love to see the rest of you lot get racing.

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:53 PM »
I'm just about to start, so it would be a shame if there wasn't any racing in the future  :(

I went to the Southern Series Race at Dagenham just before Christmas, and there seemed to be a good old school turn out. It's what made me think it would be good to have a go.

I didn't realise there was a problem ?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I`ll be riding a few old school races  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

sonic-1

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:00 PM »
mmmmm wonder if its becuse its been made into a reconised class n becuse yer have to register n get licence !!!! maby its got a little to serious , its not quite the same as turn up n just have a go n have a laugh
iv had to stop at the mo due to pressure from wife as she thought i spent to much of my free time away from kids doin the o/s summer series , im goin to try to just do a few hersden rounds

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Doing it big style in 2009.

Northern Region - done two races already in the winter and it's cracking - like meeting up with old mates already.

I can personally see the attraction in Cruiser - I like new technology but this wont stop me putting a full year in Old School.

grp4

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 10:09 PM »
ive not packed up     just broke my elbow at your wonderful home track recently  :-[

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24 PM »
well for me

i aint raced for a few months for personal reasons and have secretly been hoarding the odd bit here and there to build up the ultimate north region smoothy splatterer

so with a bit of luck and a lot of love from the northern guys i hope to be back on the gate in march

i now have 2 months to get my big fat ugly ginger ass into some sort of competative condition

i used to race cruiser ,but slowly turned to the dark side for a laff there is no pressure on how brill or how shite you are ,,,itys who you are and the love you have for ridin the bikes you love from yesteryear

see all you guys up north soon

love and peice love and piece

russty knacker :-* :-*

kdubbmx

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:59 PM »
It must be a Southern thing 'cause it's great Up North :daumenhoch:

...even in the Winter...  or Summer ( they're both the same up here) ;D

Love it!!!  :2funny:

thecrooch

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Everyone needs to stop worrying about it - the vibe is still there, the weathers shite and the winter series are never as popular as the summer ones....

come spring everything will be cool as fonzy!

moley

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58 AM »
We only had 12 races at Bradford!!

With most classes lumped in with each other!!

Winter is shite for racing.  No one wants to do it!!

Even the die hards have a good whinge!!

Summer will be better and people should start coming out of the woodwork!!

The North was always recognised so we always had the expense of joining BCF.  The extra few quid they are forcing on us now, to buy silver memberships haven't gone down well either!!

But everyone who wants to race in the summer is in the same boat!!

The craic is still there and as always the racing is great!

Hopefully interest will start picking up in spring!  :daumenhoch:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 01:07 AM »
in the real up north. we have a small but faithful band of bmx brothers. summer or winter

believe it or not we have attracted more riders this winter than last summer.

last week we had a full OS gate  :LolLolLolLol: and that was with 3 of us not riding

we'll be at it no matter what. even planning a few north region pillaging parties as we did last year

keep the faith lads it will come good when the weather improves.

marc :daumenhoch:

p.s any of you guys are welcome to join us at anytime of the year, just let us know. ask JTSmooth i'm sure he'll tell you we made him very welcome when he came to play ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:10 AM by kuwahero »

thecrooch

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21 AM »
in the real up north. we have a small but faithful band of bmx brothers. summer or winter

believe it or not we have attracted more riders this winter than last summer.

last week we had a full OS gate  :LolLolLolLol: and that was with 3 of us not riding

we'll be at it no matter what. even planning a few north region pillaging parties as we did last year

keep the faith lads it will come good when the weather improves.

marc :daumenhoch:

p.s any of you guys are welcome to join us at anytime of the year, just let us know. ask JTSmooth i'm sure he'll tell you we made him very welcome when he came to play ;)

thats cos there isnt any difference in the temperature - you just have to get on with it.... :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 08:59 AM »
I'm not planning on racing any old school meets anymore. Not to say I won't, just not planning on doing it. Unless the wife decides to race at Hersden then I'm not planning on racing there anymore.

Old school will attract new racers and the series will be still enjoyable to watch but the thing with it is for those of us that have done it for the last 4 years it's time to progress. It's a bit like this site really, it's more about new school now than old school because everyone has progressed.

BMX is a journey we all make, with the starting place being old school, it's just that some of us have been travelling longer than others and are further up the road.  ;)

dialledbikes

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I wish the old school series had existed when I started racing again in 2006 as it would have been less of a baptism of fire than going straight into 30-39 cruiser and coming last every lap.

I love watching the old school races and seeing those lovely old bikes getting used.  However, I can understand why most of the top OS riders from the last few years have now decided to get new school bikes and race cruiser.  Those guys will make 30-39 cruiser a really good class again, as it's been a bit flat for the last few seasons.

Old school is a great way to get back into BMX and hopefully there'll always be enough to fill a gate at every race as more people come back.  I'll still do the odd OS race here and there if I get chance.

I think Zippy sums it up nicely actually.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:05 AM by mike@dialledbikes »

QuadPaul

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 09:08 AM »
I haven't given up old school but main focus will be on Cruiser this summer, but am hoping that once the fitness level is up I'll be OS racing in the south again later in the year.

TK The Mic

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Its still going to be a strong part of the series at Hersden. No liscence needed. Just pre register on rad, turn up and have a laugh. Shame there are one or two didillusioned with the group. Maybe when racing gets going in the summer those guys will change their minds.
TK

thecrooch

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Unless the wife decides to race at Hersden then I'm not planning on racing there anymore.

BMX is a journey we all make, with the starting place being old school, it's just that some of us have been travelling longer than others and are further up the road.  ;)

So you are retiring from Hersden full stop?  these are the only summer OS meetings i will defo do (though I may do the odd round in the OSS Summer) also the missus is defo up for it (once she is competetive - her words not mine) and has a shiny new steed waiting for the dust. So we will be defo making the trip down to the Kent coast again this year.  Come on mate you've got to defend your title.....  those berms have your name on them.... :LolLolLolLol:

the rest Zippy - very poetic mate....

TK The Mic

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Don't want to sh*t stir here, but I think Zippy may have started the mind games already ;D. Hard to beleive we will be racing there without his dulcet tones throughout each afternoon.

TK

thecrooch

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Tk - that makes sense.... must of turned my Zippy b*llsh*t deflector off for the winter to re-charge...

moley

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Get yourself down to Crewe on the 18th Jan!!

We might need some help to give Crooch and his gang a good whupping!!  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Get yourself down to Crewe on the 18th Jan!!

We might need some help to give Crooch and his gang a good whupping!!  :daumenhoch:

you are gonna need all your big Guns moley.....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Has every one given up on old school racing?????????????????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx