gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 01:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Bad news---my knee
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bad news---my knee  (Read 5871 times)

mr.magoo

Re: Bad news---my knee
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 09:45 PM »
sounds like another really nasty injury you had, glad its going well.

don't have an issue trusting my knee at the moment, still working, and can now twist and turn on it too, having trouble making time for the exercise at the moment though, working 18 hours a day, so thats not helping, but when i do it regular feels so much better.....just can't wait to get racing and jumping again.

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 09:48 PM »
dont be afrraid to look at this ,
some pics from hospital and home 

yes thats me  :wtf:

after a few days finaly at home

this is my war scar  :4_17_5:   btw  dont do the bone patella bone construction,TAKE THE HAMSTRING
otherwise you wont be able to sit on your knees i still cant

mr.magoo

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 02:22 PM »
hmmm thats not a pretty sight is it, no i mean the knee :LolLolLolLol:

thanks for info, just really can't wait to get it done, hamstring all the way, surgeon recommended, thats why physio is so important to make sure its built up enough to use.

thanks again :daumenhoch:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 06:32 PM »
yeah get some extra strength in the hamstrings and upper leg mate
you will need it
when is surgery planned ?

mr.magoo

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 08:25 PM »
haven't got a clue, saw surgeon two weeks ago, said waiting list is months and months, will put me as "urgent" and poss cancellation, but not before at least 6 weeks physio, so my expectations with the NHS is probably summer, just not sure which year :LolLolLolLol:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47 PM »
damn that waiting time really stinks

how did this happen also in bmx ?

thecrooch

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2008, 12:26 AM »
Jeez man they shaved your legs..... :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 08:25 AM »
yeah  bad thing is i had to to it myself
so i shaved my leg ,and thought   crap that looks like sheit , a shaved leg  and a heary leg  :wtf:
so i shaved the other leg also  ;D

iam glad its over whas a tough year

mr.magoo

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46 PM »
yeah, did it racing, silly fall, and not even a heavy one, but if your unlucky, you unlucky i guess :daumenhoch:

mr.magoo

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Had physio yesterday, changed physio too, now with the top guy. But it is hard to understand his broken english.

Happy with progress, he's gonna push surgeon for op, he seems to think i could be looking as early as January, but i'll believe it when i get the appointment through.

Best news, if i understood him correctly, is that as long as i don't do any running i can start sport again, nothing that jolts knee cos "shock absorber" is smahed up and whats left does not line up properly, but he says that if i don't start riding my bike again, the knee damage is likely to fuse, and so long as i have normal use after op they wont be concerned if i don't have enough movement to ride, so said to ride again to keep moving and supple.

at least that was my translation of the conversation......so unless i get the op, i'm planning on Peckham (slowly) in January :daumenhoch:

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 02:26 PM »
Good luck with it all Neil, have you told the wife you're planning on Peckham in January.  :LolLolLolLol:
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

mr.magoo

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Yes, took my lad to daggers, and it killed me to just stand and watch, but i'd hurt my knee the previous Monday tring to get on my exercise bike....but i spent all monday doing stretches etc etc, and managed a 5 mile run on it in 15 minutes, so she agreed that if i stay off here, spend more time building up my leg, i can take part, but not "race"/go for it, so was good news when the physio said i could ride the next day too.

so as long as i keep the exercises going so knee doesn't stiffen up i should be good for a roll round at the back, but better to have taken part and come last than watch :LolLolLolLol:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 10:12 PM »
keep up mate
mine whas ripped in nov.04 and in march 05 i whas back in racing again
in july i raced the worlds in paris bercy

i raced for 2.5 more years whit a ripped ligament

just build up those muscles and maybe   get a kneebrace  it really helps

mr.magoo

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12 AM »
getting more possitive by the day, you raced the worlds, how cool is that???

my main concern is falling on it, as i do like to have the occasional roll on the floor during a race :LolLolLolLol:

moley

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28 AM »
............and managed a 5 mile run on it in 15 minutes

15 minutes divided by 5 miles is equal to a 3 minute mile!!

I think the world record is 3 mins 43 secs!!

Is your knee bionic?  :LolLolLolLol:

Its good to hear you knee is getting better and stronger!!

What knee supports are you using?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2008, 11:40 AM »
The deal with the hamstring vs patella graft is one of stength over quality....  The patella graft is regarded as stronger than the hamstring graft, but only if done by the right surgeon.  I'm also told there is a trick to the patella proceedure that does allow you to sit on your knees, but I'm not 100% sure exactly what that is.

The advice given to me was to have a hamstring graft, but have it done by the best in the business.  Its a more straightforward proceedure so is more likely to be very successful.

For the record, I shall NOT be using a kneebrace in the future, I'm not yet convinced they truly help....

As for your shock absorbers, I was told basically the same - forget running as an exercise as its beats the shit out your knees internally.  Pedalling is good for your knees if done correctly, BMX and more specifically, crashing  (lol)  is of course not reccommended.  I have 25% and 50% respectively left in my right and left knees. I will continue to ride.

All the best buddy

mr.magoo

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Thanks for the support guys, Moley, unfortunately my lad had been using it before me so hadn't reset the timer, but felt like only 15 mins, but held a decent 20mph for 90% of the 5 miles (too tired at mo to do the maths on that one) with quite a stiff setting :daumenhoch:

Knee supports....haven't used 'em for weeks, too hot and sweaty to have on all day, and restrict movement too much.

Bob, not supposed to mention about the crashing, its what i do best, have to try to make sure i continue my usual landing technique, i.e. turn in mid air and land on my back, or if mis-timed (as usual) land on my head, can't do much more damage there i'm sure!!!

hamstring all the way for me :daumenhoch:

can't wait to get back out on my bike :4_17_5:

moley

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Good luck with your recovery!

I will expect to see you racing at MK09!!  :daumenhoch:

mr.magoo

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51 PM »
whey-hey...finally got a letter, next week pre-op......operation 11th March

fingers crossed if extremely lucky could be back to full strength by mid june.....MK09 and Brits :daumenhoch:fingers crossed

question about brits....do i need to "race" while recovering from op to qualify, or would allowances be made????

big kev 40

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2009, 08:59 PM »
if i comes to it mate i tow you round

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2009, 09:00 PM »
you'll get dispensation for the injury just see your club secretary should not be a problem

mr.magoo

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2009, 09:05 PM »
wouldn't know who my secretary is......

my lad'll wanna race, if i can turn the pedals i can "race" too, but its taken nearly three months since the injury before i could "race" recently.

but thanks for the info, so excited about being able to give it all again properly :smitten:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35 PM »
just roll of the gate in old school, that's all I'll be doing.  :LolLolLolLol:

mr.magoo

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 08:02 PM »
if need be, thats my definition of "race" :LolLolLolLol:

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2009, 10:31 PM »
whey-hey...finally got a letter, next week pre-op......operation 11th March

fingers crossed if extremely lucky could be back to full strength by mid june.....MK09 and Brits :daumenhoch:fingers crossed

question about brits....do i need to "race" while recovering from op to qualify, or would allowances be made????

i dont wanna burst your bubble mate , but you can forget june.
there is a 6 month period that is extremely dangerous for the craft
after 6 or 7 months you can try practice on the bike
and believe me its scarry shit

well good luck 11th march   fingers crossed

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Bad news---my knee

gfxgfx
gfx gfx