gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 01:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Bad news---my knee
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bad news---my knee  (Read 5873 times)

mr.magoo

Re: Bad news---my knee
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 08:00 PM »
doh, thats blown it....at the mo i'm more worried about how long i'll need off work, no sick pay and all that, so think i'll have to have a normal Magoo magic recovery 1 or 2 weeks holiday at MAX

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Sorry to hear this Neil and hopefully you get called in for surgery soon as possible.  Humps

dialledbikes

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Gutted for you Neil, but as others have said, if the ops go as planned, you'll be fully healed and be able to ride again eventually.  Hopefully be back for the Brits and in with a good shot at the Old School title (if not, there's always the year after)  :daumenhoch:

se

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Neil it may seem like an age now but it'll soon pass. Keep yer pecker up. I know a few people who have blown knees and it is a pisser in the short-term but stay positive and it'll be right again before you know it.

tony williams

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 07:45 PM »
magoo
just think when ur ready to get back on a bike and ur be 40+ ill be there waiting mate for ur return me bigkev dave the perv , darren plus hopefully we can drag a few more oldies back its going to be a blast ...
get well soon neil
PS remember richard thomas from dover i hear his back riding going to phone him tomorrow night ill say hello from u mate

big kev 40

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 10:44 PM »
head up big man  we all behind you and want to see you kicking zippys arse again  come and see you at weekend mate  flowers or chocolates

tony williams

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18 PM »
careful kev that is all he wants is some loving mummys boys there all same   :2funny:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 07:58 PM »
head up big man  we all behind you and want to see you kicking zippys arse again  come and see you at weekend mate  flowers or chocolates

Now we all know that ain't going to be happening anytime soon.  :LolLolLolLol:

I'll keep my number 1 nice and warm for you Neil and you can take it over in 2010.  :daumenhoch:

mr.magoo

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 08:06 PM »
Cheers Si, wouldn't wanna deprive you of it too soon :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Just get back as fast as you can.

big kev 40

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39 PM »
magooster coming to see you sunday what time best   flowers for the mrs or chocs for you mate then want to see tony williams be nice to do it in one day but daggers got race meeting   got some catching up to do

mr.magoo

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2008, 02:13 PM »
hmmm, just got back from first physio, very interesting.....surgeon didn't give me the complete lowdown

physio dept were suprised to see me walking, let alone unaided???

cartilege floating around in there, cruciate ligament snapped, some other ligament that connects muscles ripped almost through...the list goes on, did wonder why she looked at me strange when they called my name and i just got up and walked over.

bad news is confirmed maybe a year post op before riding, BUT thinks i will be ok for fast-track recovery physio and poss 3 months post op?? Lets hope so.

Now just gotta keep pestering for the op!!!

tony williams

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 10:12 PM »
big kev seeing me the same day im not round the corner to magoo im in suffolk now lol

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 07:50 AM »
Chin up Magoo.  Listen to your physio and keep on pestering for the op, as you say   :daumenhoch:

mr.magoo

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 08:02 AM »
cheers Bob, been doing exercises now, and feeling better, as i know that i am trying to build back up muscle and trying to get the tightened ones stretching again, spent the last two months being too worried to try anything too much in case i damaged anything else, so making progress now, flexability coming back, apart from in the mornings when the exersise causes swelling next day, but doing ice massages now to try to reduce that...then the plan is to surpass the physio's requirements and pester the surgeon. My theory is to suprise them with my drive enthusiasm and recovery rate, and hopefully they will see that this op and following physio won't be a drain on their budget, so hopefully bump me up the list a bit, making it an easy win for them.

maybe i'm just full of wishful thinking, but trying to keep myself positive :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Sounds spot on to me mate.  Keep doing what you're doing.  It was my good attitude that got me the op in the first place, they don't HAVE to offer you the surgery I was told..

See if you can get yourself a sports surgeon, and steer clear of donated ligaments if they're offered. Which cruciate ligament have you busted?

mr.magoo

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 08:14 AM »
ACL needs replacing, hoping to use hamstring outta one of my own legs, MCL? very badly torn, all muscles that go over or around knee cap stretched, as knee popped out and some cartilege damage

don't sound that bad when your just typing it :LolLolLolLol:

when i saw the surgeon last week the main physio was hoping to take me on, but cos of work i had to take a different appointment, so got a nice young lady, but she's off elsewhere in a few weeks, so main physio is hoping to get me then.

we agreed to turn a blind eye to some restrictive movements she found in my other knee cap when she was doing a comparisson, as thats probs from childhood and don't give me any grief :buck2:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Gotcha.

you'll be reet.

A hamstring graft is what I had, its the more popular of two proceedures and gets the best results apparently. A patella graft is slightly stronger, but needs to be done by the right man I was told.

MCL may repair itself with physio as the blood supply is way better than the ACL, if not they recover well after surgery it seems. Stretched muscles is physio again obviously, and the cartilage damage will either be repaired, cleaned up (which means you lose some of it) or both, as was my case.

No bone damage?   Good news    :)

mr.magoo

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 09:50 AM »
all in all not too bad, won't know about cartilege till they get in there and MCLvery badly torn, again won't know till they get in, but after a couple of days of exercise, and knowing i aint making it worse i am feeling way more possitive, just a bit of negativity not knowing how long this piece of string is till the op.

can't wait till i've got enough movement to get on the exercise bike, then i can really get muscles back into top shape

but felt that happy this morning I've even been out and changed some components on my cruiser that i've been wanting to do since i had the accident, once i've warmed up a bit might even go and change the bars on my old school :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Cool   :)

Positive mental attitude - so important.

mr.magoo

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Thanks, and 100% right, not how i normally look at things tho.

have had second physio today, they were well impressed, managed to ride the exercise bike, took a couple of minutes of rocking half cranks back and forth for my knee to warm up, i told her if i tried i could push through the pain to get a full turn, but she told me not too!!!.........so i did, spent 10 minutes on there after that ;D

then ten on the rowing machine, can't believe how my fitness has dropped, well out of breath, and she wouldn't let me have a fag :2gunsfiring_v1: then onto the ballance board thing, not so good, but then i've never had good ballance, never could ride a skateboard.

so got some new exercises to hurry things along, still cant walk down stairs normally, but at least i can walk on level ground with out a limp, looking forward to getting the wifes exercise bike out now to see if i can ride that, as the seat doesn't quite go as high as the hospitals

but all in all a good week :)

SEARLE

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11 PM »
GOOD TO SEE YOU ON TOUR WAY TO RECOVERY MR MAGOO.HOPE THIS DOES NOT HOLD YOU BACK  WHEN YOU RACE AGAIN.HOPE TO SEE YOU BEHIND THAT GATE IN 2009.

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 12:22 PM »
good luck mate  i just been there
got surgery last year september,and whas riding again in july 2008
its a long way , i know
listen to your body and dont get cocky  keep it high and do your physio well
i also had my crucial ligament ripped whit biking in 2004

good luck mate !!!

mr.magoo

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 08:48 PM »
cheers Mate, just out of interest how long did you have to wait for the op?

Offline DoubleD

• Cherry Picker
  • From Holland
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 09:34 PM »
took me 4 months for waiting on surgery ,i went to a sportsdoctor who is specialized in that kind of injury's

the first 8 weeks whas total crap

could not lift up my own leg for about 4 weeks
after 5 months the fluids where finaly out of my knee ,and physio  whas very hard
was a long road for me ,and still its not 100% on strenght

dont take this kind of surgery light ,its a heavy way to come back
in november 2004 i ripped it  ,and in 2005  i whas riding the worlds in bercy ,whit a lot of muscle practice
i ended biking end 2006 , after 3th place in the south district in holland  cruiser 30+

after that i got pre operating physio ,and in september i got surgery

the pre op  physio ,should help me  to a faster recovery but it did not fo anything extra

its a hard way  and you must be dedicated to your training programm,and not to force it

after 8 months i started riding bmx on the track again ,men it whas awsome but  also very strange
and i whas very afraid to fall. or over force it

its also important  that you can trust your knee again ,thats the hardest part
to set your mind straight

i could go on for hours about this ,its been a good and sad year ,but afterall i am happy that i did the surgery

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Bad news---my knee

gfxgfx
gfx gfx