gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 02:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold  (Read 17280 times)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2008, 10:46 PM »
We will always be tarnished with the kids bikes thing.

Funny how the World Cup isn't seen as little boys in the park with jumpers for goalposts.  :-\

steve

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 12:18 AM »
the tracks are too scary

NO kid wants to do it

dialledbikes

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 01:29 AM »
Hey, Shanaze might not have won a medal but she'll be remembered as someone who went down fighting.

That swimmer who won silver in the 10k swim will be remembered as the bell end who was leading with a few hundred metres to go but then lost a guaranteed gold medal by swimming away from the finish line   :uglystupid2:

macky

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 06:02 AM »

I think ppl are forgetting, she is only 19 years old!! 19!!!!

she'll be back for 2012!!! ( it's only 4 years )

she'll still be young, fit & healthy and probably stronger... and next time it's GOLD!!

I've heard ppl doubt she will still be riding bmx then... c'mon... bmx is in her blood, as it is in ours!!

kevin rettie

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Can she ride in more than 1 discipline at the next olympics? - track and BMX?

Which brings me on to the next question, why did GB only have 1 male and 1 female when other countries had several? I am sure if we had a Dale Holmes in there we might have had a bit of a chance in the mens....

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 01:57 PM »
just read  through this last page of comments. who the f@ck wants a silver.??? think about it this way. if a boxer gets in the ring he wants to win not come second coz second is last!!! thats what shanaze did she went for it . shit or bust. see thats why great britain aint so  great anymore to many people settling for second best. shanaze has a great fighting british spirit. so for all u silver or bronzers out there or well at least i took part .adopt another country. winners only in great britain.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:01 PM by Badbaldie »

TK The Mic

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 03:59 PM »
The way I see it is that, Shanaze may have been a little more injured than she was letting on, but the way she came out fighting in the final has made her a moral winner in many peoples eyes (non bmx fans included), this got loads of people talking which can only be good, and if these people were pointed towards a track in their area (if they were lucky enough to have one nearby) they would see how things are done at a grass roots level or regional, national etc.

Publicity is the key, its up to some of us to get in the mix and spread the word about. :4_17_5:

TK

Rooonga

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Hopefully with the brits being on Sky Sports it'll get even more people involved/interested/informed about the sport.

moomin

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I was having a conversasion with my wife earlier this week about how some people seem so happy about a silver and bronze medal. They lost, they didn't win, what's to smile about. If I'd have come that close I'd have been the most upset person on earth to have worked so hard yet failed by the smallest of margins.

Win or Bin I reckon. Do it the Schwantz way.  :LolLolLolLol:

i do not agree, thats the chineese way,they  have failed and let down the country,if its NOT GOLD

Takes me back this post...... 1993, Swedish Euros, my best Euro result ever, 2nd, me and my dad just avoided each other all night after that, we both knew i should have won.  Did 2nd matter NO, i was there to win and i fooked up, that is exactly why Shinny made/tried to make that move.

2nd is exactly what someone else said 1st Loser

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Apparently Gordon Brown has praised Shanaze Reade as a shining example to our youth with her win or bust bulldog attitude.

I think the Hard work is down to us now, by that I mean the clubs and shops and the riders themselves. We need to push this sport as much as possible now.

moomin

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 08:10 PM »
I think a shift in attitude is needed, this "taking part  is OK" crap needs to go....................... where's the killer instinct ??????????????

TK The Mic

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Just seen a few blogs on the bbc sport site with people naming their high and low lights. A few named Shanaze as their lowlight, but only in asense that they were gutted for her and that her attitude of first only was spot on (although one to$$er said she bottled it and let down the cycling team), and she wasnt the only one with that mentality in the GB team, Idowu and womens four rowing, and they both got silver

TK

johhnyboyz

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 09:46 PM »
is there knowbody on here that is proud of there 2nd and 3rd place trophys?

TK The Mic

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 09:55 PM »
I would have been grateful to get that high up in anything, but the point I'm making is that when our lame excuse of a football team and their high wages limp through year after year and seemingly settle for quarter finals, it is nice to see our athletes giving their absolute all for the win, and enough respect to them for it :Great_Britain:
TK

b45t4rd

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 10:10 PM »
I think there is a story about Graeme Souness walking into a dressing room after a football final with a runners up medal. He supposedly threw it on a table and said "anybody want that? because I f**king don't"
Personally think he's a tw@t,not for that, but that shows his winning mentality.

se

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2008, 10:25 PM »
<<That swimmer who won silver in the 10k swim will be remembered as the bell end who was leading with a few hundred metres to go but then lost a guaranteed gold medal by swimming away from the finish line   >>

Mike did you do the same? Get up thinking it was on, only to spend half an hour watching the swimmer and screaming at the telly?  ;D

If anyone needs any proof that BMX racing should/shouldn't be an Olympic sport, go watch a bunch of swimmers disoriented in a fewkin lake (by the way, I thought he did great and was a credit to the country (Britain not Wales  ::)), just on a downer because I'd set my alarm and been all organised).

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2008, 11:01 PM »

No, I'm so angry and gutted when I just get beat that it almost hurts.

What we do is called racing and the idea is to come 1st, anything else is called losing.

kevin rettie

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I think a shift in attitude is needed, this "taking part  is OK" crap needs to go....................... where's the killer instinct ??????????????

Spot on Mrs R,

I used to hate losing, even against my twin brother.... it made for some interesting car journeys back from the racing. The good thing was, he hated losing aswell so we both knew the score.

macky

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 03:09 AM »

:daumenhoch:  :daumenhoch:  :daumenhoch:

S1

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2008, 02:25 PM »

It's the same in schools these days, they have "non-competetive" sports days, I mean whats the point of that? There will always be winners and losers in life and kids should learn that from an early age.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Just been looking through the results on British Cycling from the Brits this weekend.  By my reckoning of the 620 riders there were over 250 above the age of 16.  Who says BMX racing is just for kids!!  Just an observation and fuel for the knockers to be hit with.  Humps

dialledbikes

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 10:45 AM »
<<That swimmer who won silver in the 10k swim will be remembered as the bell end who was leading with a few hundred metres to go but then lost a guaranteed gold medal by swimming away from the finish line   >>

Mike did you do the same? Get up thinking it was on, only to spend half an hour watching the swimmer and screaming at the telly?  ;D

If anyone needs any proof that BMX racing should/shouldn't be an Olympic sport, go watch a bunch of swimmers disoriented in a fewkin lake (by the way, I thought he did great and was a credit to the country (Britain not Wales  ::)), just on a downer because I'd set my alarm and been all organised).

Yeah, I woke up for the BMX, which was then cancelled.  Couldn't get back to sleep so watched the 10K swim.  In fairness, he did swim brilliantly and led the whole race, but he should've won the gold if he knew where he was going.  I remember him leading by about 5-7 body lengths with around 750 metres to go and the commentator saying something like "only a serious navigational error will prevent him winning the gold", then I went to take a leak, got back and there was about 200 metres to go and he was swimming away from the finish line then being overtaken by the Dutch bloke.

The only consolation I guess was the Dutch bloke was a cancer survivor and was considered the Lance Armstrong of swimming, so there was a nice/interesting story in there, and perhaps it was simply his destiny to win it.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51 PM »
just stumbled on this  :).
let hope its better news this time round.
and hows things changed in them 4 years ?.
my god theres some old names on there i not seen for a good while.
wonder where they all gone  :-\
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Just thought the same mate , munners and jimmyp . I miss munners mindless ranting and jimmyp's madness  :idiot2: :2funny:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10 PM »
id only just discovered this place back then,i wish id never bothered now ;D
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold

gfxgfx
gfx gfx