gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 07:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  so whats happened to old school racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: so whats happened to old school racing  (Read 3131 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: so whats happened to old school racing
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04 AM »
I have just re-read this thread, Old school wont die, but its time for those that fancy a go to actually get the bikes out of the shed and start riding.
Racing again has changed my life, most of it for the better (except my wallet)
There is no better buzz than going full tilt at a 6 foot table top and trying to stay on two wheels (and look cool).
Re-discovering BMX has changed my life, I probably wont die of a heart attack at 45 now, I will never stop riding now, I have rediscovered some very good friends I left way back in 1984, I have made some great new mates, met a new mrs :smitten: and have shed a couple of stone. The buzz you get from racing or hitting a 1/4 pipe never leaves you. I hope the OS isnt dying out, its such a cool place to be, it takes nads to ride a bike full tilt at a 6 foot jump, elbow to elbow with your mates.
If I hadnt re-discovered BMX then I would probably be looking forward to retiring instead of the next race :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

motomagII

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 07:50 AM »
well said tony i love racing os its great .i cant believe that i didnt do it couple years ago and i would tell anyone even thinking about it to give it try doesnt matter if you good or bad (which in my case is good thing as im pretty slow lol)a lot i think who havent rode will be thinking they will get embarassed at how bad they might be but in os that doesnt matter what so ever and we have right laugh with the comedians in the northern races.
cost wise its not too bad its usually for me 15.00 diesel 7.00 to race and after seeing madddogs belly no burger for me lol
sorry russ :daumenhoch:
i look forward to every meet its great even though i cant race at moment as soon as i can drive ill be there to watch until im fit again because the entertainment value is worth the drive .especially if dubbers on form

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I believe "victim of its own success" summarises the situation well.  As a feeder formula into the Nu-Skool classes goes it's been a monumental success having drawn a number of riders out of the woodwork and with them has come their children to race too.  The South races in particular have benefitted from the extra riders that have been brought into the sport and what great riders they are proving to be.  Had it not been for RAD and the Old School races how many riders wouldn't be out there now?? 

Sure, the racings got quicker, more competitive and injuries have featured but at the end of the day it's an extreme sport that gives that buzz that you just don't get from so many other sports.  And it's FUN.  And it's HEALTHY.  And the sport is full of great characters and friends.

The inter-regional at Milton Keynes in a couple of weeks looms large and as it's the home of the RAD event in August it seems likely that support will be higher with riders getting in a bit of practice on this great little track.  I might be tempted to venture out on the Redline if there appears to be a few more 'slower' riders than the current contingent of hardcore guys who will sail off into the distance and leave me looking like the also-ran that I am.  On another thread Moschops is hoping to break the 300-rider barrier.  I think it's possible.  Unfortunately there's a Midlands Regional on that day too but maybe we can muster the troops for the biggest OS turnout this year so far.  I will if you will.  What do you think guys??  A separate thread required perhaps.  Humps

MOORO

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 08:33 AM »
previous post but it fits in well here ....If anyones reading this and thinking of having a go again... then just go for it, the feeling you get will be EXACTLY the same as you had 20+ years ago, YES im sure mortgages, jobs, women and alcohol have come along BUT your the same person inside, if you got a buzz back then youll get it now . Get your bike , get on the gate again ,balance & stand up on your pedals...listen to the start cadence and i guarantee you wont be thinking about the  Traffic on the North Circular ,the washing machine being on the blink or the latest goings on in Eastenders.

I got my old school bike out 2 years ago having not touched a push bike in 19+ years, migrated to new skool since (there was no 'New Old skool' scene then!)

give it a go you  i reckon you will be thanking, this thread,  Ratty, the organisers of old skool and co for making you realise your still alive   :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I would rather die having lived life to the full than die having never lived at all.

Danny Wallace was on Jonathan Ross on Friday and said that you only regret the things you didn't do, not the things you said yes to.

So guy's are you going to come and have a go at old school racing in a couple of weeks at MK Inter Regional?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54 AM »
i'm really gunna have to kick myself up the arse and get along to this one!  i will bring my lad along so he can look all embaressed at his dad coming last  :LolLolLolLol:

at least i know where this track is!   :daumenhoch:

nic968

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 11:04 AM »
 Zippy's no regrets quote rings home with me...

I raced only once when I was a kid,it was a struggle to get the 'family' to do that...Now,25 years later,I've managed to take part in the sport I could only dream about as a kid.After a couple of MK's,Hersdens and last years OSSS I'm trying to race cruiser at regional level...And loving it...
 The OS classes are the best possible way for most of us to get back into racing,or even just have a go.Even wobbling around for the crack of it is worth every penny..

So if you ever wondered what it was like to be Stu Thompson,Harry Leary or Andy Ruffel..Get that bike out on a track and have a blast,you won't regret it.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18 AM »
his dad coming last 
Hey steady on Pickle there's others who reserve that place.  >:(  I'll have to contact a few of my peers to see if we want you in our elitist club!!   ;) What do you reckon KGB Matt & Sonic, should we let him??  Humps

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 11:39 AM »
his dad coming last 
Hey steady on Pickle there's others who reserve that place.  >:(  I'll have to contact a few of my peers to see if we want you in our elitist club!!   ;) What do you reckon KGB Matt & Sonic, should we let him??  Humps

Al
i will be back (& at the back)

see ya there  :LolLolLolLol:

and to those who haven't raced before
i never raced in the 80's
and got into it around 2004 when hersden first opened

the buzz of sitting on the gate is worth the race fees alone
then the real fun starts ....  :knuppel2:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 12:02 PM »
It could just be the time of year!!

The races seem to come thick and fast and there seems to be lots of other commitments at this time of year.

Weddings, Christenings, holidays, family get togethers.  They will take their toll on riders who would normally show up.

Hartlepool cost over £30 in petrol (probably £40+) so that doesn't help either.

Maybe fewer races spread out over the season might attract more riders and make each race more of an event.

i posted this in other thread but i think this would work well

"maybe doing half the regional calander so that every track is raced once through the summer and winter series, this would lighten the load without any venues being missed out and keep the old school on its toes as only racing each track once a year :daumenhoch:!

thecrooch

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 01:11 PM »
New thread listed in Old school section to put yer money where yer mouth is.... so to speak ... tally ho..

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64742.new.html#new

Crooch
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:23 PM by Crooch »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  so whats happened to old school racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx