gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 07:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  so whats happened to old school racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: so whats happened to old school racing  (Read 3130 times)

wolfybmx

so whats happened to old school racing
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:34 PM »
just wondering what has happened to the numbers in old school racing.

has every one lost interest or is there another reason. seems a shame as there are hundreds of members on rad are you all affraid of using your bikes and just happy to look at them rather than use them and stay at home.

come on guys pull ya fingers out

virtualmeuk

Re: so whats happened to old school racing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:38 PM »
To be honest if there were a meet somwhere near stratford i would be there but i think the nearest one is about an hour and a half away and with a wife, 2 kids and a bussiness to run time is very short for me.

dan-dare

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Mid-school is the new Old-school. Faster??

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:44 PM »
To be honest if there were a meet somwhere near stratford i would be there but i think the nearest one is about an hour and a half away and with a wife, 2 kids and a bussiness to run time is very short for me.

What about Dagenham ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

virtualmeuk

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:46 PM »
errr,.................i live in stratford on avon! 2-2.5 hours away.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:02 PM »
errr,.................i live in stratford on avon! 2-2.5 hours away.

Sorry I thought you ment Stratford in East London  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

moley

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:14 PM »
It could just be the time of year!!

The races seem to come thick and fast and there seems to be lots of other commitments at this time of year.

Weddings, Christenings, holidays, family get togethers.  They will take their toll on riders who would normally show up.

Hartlepool cost over £30 in petrol (probably £40+) so that doesn't help either.

Maybe fewer races spread out over the season might attract more riders and make each race more of an event.

bmx-796

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25 PM »
we are looking at doing an year long season 12 races you can drop two best 10 count

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:25 PM »
IF THERE IS 2 RACES A MONTH

IT COSTS ME 40 FOR PETROL FOR EACH RACE,,15 FOR ENTRY FEES AND A TENNER FOER A BURGER N CHIPS

130 A MONTH ,,,,THATS AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY

BUT IN MY CASE I SPEND MORE BUYIN AND SELLIN,,,GOD IM MADD

ON A GATE SOON GUYS

RUSS

hooga1975

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:31 PM »
A tenner for burger and chips?  That is one big fooking burger :LolLolLolLol:

Moschops

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Your all saving yourselves for MK08 8)

Hope to see some of you guys come to the regional at Mk on the 6th July to get some sneeky race practice in :daumenhoch:

spillers#1

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Blimey a lot of us this year have raced from somerset right up to chesterfield,we've still got hartlepool this weekend and so on and so on....don't actually know what my point is  :crazy2: i personally have raced every weekend so far this year apart from the sunday when i smashed myself up practicing  :D still don't know what i'm trying to say  :idiot2:

I love bmx racing and seeing all the boys sunday at hayes regional racing bikes such as robinsons (how sweet does gary72's look) hutch,supergoose,diamond back,haro,freeagent etc makes me love it even more  :daumenhoch:

spillers#1

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 09:40 PM »
I normally spend anything up to £150 racing a national weekend.........but still cheaper than racing powerbikes at £600-1000 a meeting  ??? gave up the motorbikes and race bmx again coz £150 a meeting is the b*ll*x  :4_17_5: and i still get a wicked buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  :shocked:

hooga1975

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I think in a way the old school has been a victim of it own success.  It was a way back into racing and now many of the people who started have moved up to 40+ cruisers.  We do need to see some more faces soon or the old school racing will die.  
I am looking forward to MK in two weeks, it a chance to get to ride the track again before the big meet.  If you have never tried it before come down and give it a try.

eloopnai

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:56 PM »
gotta say theres the hardcore few who go every meet in the south i done the first 2 then couldnt make any was gutted untill hayes
i will be at everyone from now its not a lot of money to spend on a great day out i always get attention from people commenting on my bike (not my racing though :'()
and ive met loadsa people through it i love it and my boy has just started so just gotta get my little girl involved now and it will be a familly day out
just like old hooga said people have stepped up to cruiser and i think a few will again next year
with 4666 members why is there not more people giving it a go ?

come on chaps keep the old skool going  :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:07 PM »

you gonna come to the meet at leamington next month?

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 10:33 PM »
Unless we get some new blood into the old school scene soon it's going to look very sparse next year. Your going to get a couple at least leaving to move up to cruiser class again like last year and that'll leave less than a gate of old schoolers.

With over 4600 old schoolers it's a shame that we only get 8 on a gate in the south at the moment.  Come on peeps are you bmxer's or wanabees.  ;)

hotplate

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Thats a real shame !!! I went to Bourmouth in ) 04 The Alans do !! and many more >   I think the problem is its a bit like the school reunion , the first ones are the best :) then a you get got used to them the novelty is not there  :( :( I think every one will come back but not to every race . It will never die and I for one would be out but for my ever more un competertive Race Inc  :-[ :-[ This bike as many know is to small . Also the costs of old school is mainly expensive.

Keep the vibe alive.

KEVIN.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 10:40 PM »
 :) Due to illlness/injury I`ve only been to 1 OS race this year.That & not being a driver is a bit of a hassle.Hopefully keep an OS bike soon & try to do bit next year......

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:46 PM »
I think the problem is wimpness, too much money spent on the builds, not enough nads to risk getting them dirty >:D

I hope the racing doesnt die, would be a real shame :-\
A long time ago, in a land far away!

DONNY R

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Well put my son !  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 10:59 PM »
[quote author=RATTY link=I think the problem is wimpness, too much money spent on the builds, not enough nads to risk getting them dirty >:D

I hope the racing doesnt die, would be a real shame :-\]

Would think that with over 4k members that there would be more racers.Come to think of it appears a lot of members don`t even ride at all.

sonic-1

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 11:01 PM »
well im well up for racing but with it all kickin off at home with the wife im not sure if i can continue  :'( :'(
couldnt do hays as it was my daughters 6th birthday

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 11:04 PM »
not done any old school races this year as been riding new school.

Got to say though it was after racing os last year that i decided to get new school race bike.

dialledbikes

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 12:30 AM »
I think the OS has served a really good purpose of getting people back into racing then getting them to take on the next challenge of cruiser/masters racing.

It's sad that the OS is struggling for numbers, but at least people like Spillers, Billy, Nic, 796, Glendower, Jason Harvey, Pro Tec, etc have stayed in BMX rather than quit.

I think the top guys in OS this year will also step up to new school, so I hope some newcomers fill their boots to keep the OS alive.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  so whats happened to old school racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx