gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  To brake or not to brake
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: To brake or not to brake  (Read 2156 times)

Voodoocars

To brake or not to brake
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:35 PM »
Opinions please.From new schoolers and us oldies. What's the deal with brakeless? Anyone prefer it or only do it cause its 'trendy' ( be honest now ). I have been told that it makes you attempt things that you normally wouldnt. Personally I like the look of a brakeless bike and have been toying with the idea of removing mine. But I dont like the idea of not being able to stop in a hurry.....

Well?

SaMAlex

Re: To brake or not to brake
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:46 PM »
I love the look of a brakeless bike but I couldnt to a thing without my front and rear brakes. I might as well not even bother getting on the bike at all!
Whats more, and Im not sure if many NS people know this ..... you dont HAVE to pull them!  :LolLolLolLol:

Voodoocars

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:48 PM »
Yeah but its nice to know that the brake is there.I find it difficult to ride without my finger over the lever.If I can get out of that habit I might take the brake off.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:53 PM »
 :) Looks good but I think it`s become more of a fashion thing amongst the youngsters.If you`re crap with brakes,then you`d be worse without them.Def respect riders who can pull mad stuff without brakes.....

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00 PM »
personally i dont get the no brake no peg thing, why limit yourself trick wise?

(edit: just remembered ive taken my front brake off :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: only cause i never use it :2funny:)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:39 PM by kev s »

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00 PM »
If your a good rider than no problem in parks and stuff, but not on the streets, too fooking dangerous IMO. Was over rOm on Sunday and a few kids were brakeless and helmet less and not very good. Not a good combination :idiot2:
Plus alot of riders are now putting front brakes on and the riding looks great.
http://www.ridebmx.com/article.jsp?ID=1000061175&type=features
Gary (I run a rear brake, cause I'm old and scared)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:31 PM »

Gary (I run a rear brake, cause I'm old and GINGER)

:daumenhoch: :angel:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

subversion

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Brakes
X2
forever
 :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:33 PM »
2 brakes for me....last time we were at Harrow one of the kids came up to me and said "why do you have that thing on the front?"   ;D

welsh denny

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40 PM »
always ran 2 brakes and always will. if you want to pull the brake its there to do so. if you don't want to use it then don't pull it. its also a weight addition for these new schoolers so they'd rather waste a decent set of vans than have a small weight addition.

Stella Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 11:32 PM »
Most of the guys up here don't have brakes, think you gotta be pretty good and confident first. Have seen a few collisions at skateparks and just the other week a girl got her leg broken when a rider collided with her...see for yourself! I will be using at least one!

OUCH!

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37 PM »
bummer! i hope the brakeless rider was ok too :daumenhoch:

i've been brakeless for about a year and still enjoying it!, it was mainly due to having what i call 'brake tourettes', i'd pull it mid air or approaching a quarter, this would annoy me and i'd say fu*k or tw*t to myself! it bugged me. As soon as i took it off i enjoyed riding much more   and you learn to judge speed better, you tend to carve about more. Also relearning manuals, icepics, tyre taps etc is fun

heres an interesting interview with Mat Hoffman, edwin delarosa etc about brakeless riding

http://www.ridebmx.com/article.jsp?ID=21026536

Lazarou

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 11:44 PM »

perry

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »
is it cliche or clique  ::) ::)

" brakeless makes you such a better rider "

bore

" just dont pull the brake "

bore

" you cant stop "

bore

" nothing but fashion "

bore

ive heard it all fellas , whatever you type people were saying it years ago  ::)

your just enforcing another divide in riding  :(

my dirtbike has a rear only - i take it to the track

my kona has a rear only - use it primarialy on the road , only one hill and lots of wind so a front is a waste of time and weight . ive ridden 30 miles and never had to use the brake once

standard is sans brakes - its nothing more than a toy , i dont have to ride it to work/school/shops/pub , i never use a brake while riding as nothing i can do warrants a brake and that includes tyre taps . i havnt had a brake on it for the past 2 years and ive even been over small trails on it no problem

it just requires more thought and its not for everyone . a lot of the kids giving it a go are just plain dangerous  :yahoo_silent: but ive seen just as many shady braked riders as brakeless

some stuff to think about -

i had been riding for 12 years before i had enough confidence in my ability to go without a brake

i only went without once i had moved from devon to lincs as eventhough i wouldnt use the brake for tricks i still used it for the many hills we would ride down on our long rides , although many mates still did it without and they went through many shoes ( one lad even went through his shoe - sock and then cut his toe  ;D )

there are a couple of small gaps in town i cant do because there isnt sufficient run off without a brake

the bike will feel very "naked" without a brake so itl take a bit of getting used to

and as for the inevitable bint that steps out or the car that appears from nowhere -

classic foot on the seatstay scrubs enough speed most of the time

foot behind the crown only with enough of your weight over the rear otherwise you will flip ( brakeless front wheel skids  8) )

^ learn these with both feet ^

foot on the floor but use the heal , you need the sole at the front for sticking in the tyre

while riding in the road pop the front wheel onto the kerb and let the rear drag along

while turning kick the rear out

more experienced but a nice quick 180 can lose speed quickly as you use the freewheel to slow

and lastly , stick a foot down and fling the bike from under you , in 2 steps you will be stood with your bike on its rear wheel already shouting obcentanties at the fooker who stepped out in front of you

but the best way of stopping is paying enough attention to the stuff around you to not be there when it happens

give brakeless a go if you want , or dont , no one cares and no ones opinion matters anyway  ;)

just be good enough with or without brakes to not run into innocent people  :police:

2unfit2ride

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47 PM »
is it cliche or clique  ::) ::)

" brakeless makes you such a better rider "

bore

" just dont pull the brake "

bore

" you cant stop "

bore

" nothing but fashion "

bore

ive heard it all fellas , whatever you type people were saying it years ago  ::)

your just enforcing another divide in riding  :(

my dirtbike has a rear only - i take it to the track

my kona has a rear only - use it primarialy on the road , only one hill and lots of wind so a front is a waste of time and weight . ive ridden 30 miles and never had to use the brake once

standard is sans brakes - its nothing more than a toy , i dont have to ride it to work/school/shops/pub , i never use a brake while riding as nothing i can do warrants a brake and that includes tyre taps . i havnt had a brake on it for the past 2 years and ive even been over small trails on it no problem

it just requires more thought and its not for everyone . a lot of the kids giving it a go are just plain dangerous  :yahoo_silent: but ive seen just as many shady braked riders as brakeless

some stuff to think about -

i had been riding for 12 years before i had enough confidence in my ability to go without a brake

i only went without once i had moved from devon to lincs as eventhough i wouldnt use the brake for tricks i still used it for the many hills we would ride down on our long rides , although many mates still did it without and they went through many shoes ( one lad even went through his shoe - sock and then cut his toe  ;D )

there are a couple of small gaps in town i cant do because there isnt sufficient run off without a brake

the bike will feel very "naked" without a brake so itl take a bit of getting used to

and as for the inevitable bint that steps out or the car that appears from nowhere -

classic foot on the seatstay scrubs enough speed most of the time

foot behind the crown only with enough of your weight over the rear otherwise you will flip ( brakeless front wheel skids  8) )

^ learn these with both feet ^

foot on the floor but use the heal , you need the sole at the front for sticking in the tyre

while riding in the road pop the front wheel onto the kerb and let the rear drag along

while turning kick the rear out

more experienced but a nice quick 180 can lose speed quickly as you use the freewheel to slow

and lastly , stick a foot down and fling the bike from under you , in 2 steps you will be stood with your bike on its rear wheel already shouting obcentanties at the fooker who stepped out in front of you

but the best way of stopping is paying enough attention to the stuff around you to not be there when it happens

give brakeless a go if you want , or dont , no one cares and no ones opinion matters anyway  ;)

just be good enough with or without brakes to not run into innocent people  :police:

Do they do 'Fixie' BMX hubs? 

If so I reckon you should try it, it makes roadies & MTB'ers feel superior
  (sorry, sour grapes as I can't ride brakeless)

;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:58 PM by 2unfit2ride »

perry

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 02:54 PM »
 :P ;)

just giving an informed essay to an over talked about question  :)

would go fixed but theres 1 hill i need to ride and it would kill me  :buck2:

it is singlespeed , is that still trendy ?

Steve Shindig

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 06:50 PM »
YOYO, I can't speak for all brakeless riders but my decision to go brakeless really revitalised my riding.  I find it more of a soul connection with my bike whether it be on a simple journey or riding obstacles.  I was reminded of this today when riding the new bowl at Chandlers Ford...  my bike felt so simple, similar to how skaters or surfers feel I guess.  I guess you can feel this even with a full freestyle set up, but for me, it's really a mental thing.  Simple bike, simple mind, simple feelings.

Keef

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:28 PM »
I've been brakeless for a few months only because my cable was rubbing the paint off my LTF. At first i lost all my tricks. It felt like i digressing. Riding sucked.

After perseverance I've got all my old manual lines back that i did at my local park, learnt footjam tyre taps on banks and learnt brakeless taps on quarters this week and can ride dirt jumps better than i used to with a brake.

It feels so much nicer doing the tricks without a brake, for me.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  To brake or not to brake

gfxgfx
gfx gfx