gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 02:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  why has the sponsorship thread from ratty dissappeared???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: why has the sponsorship thread from ratty dissappeared???  (Read 6999 times)

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: why has the sponsorship thread from ratty dissappeared???
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33 PM »
whats the deal with the site suporter icons? never read anything about buying them :-\ :-\ :-\

I wondered that too.  What's with the "site supporters icon" ??  What is it??  Where is it??  Humps

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 09:37 PM »
if you racing types got out of the racing section a little more often, you would see this.....

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=26596.0

lol

our paypal addy is radbmxfund@hotmail.com

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Thanks for the link Dave.  You're quite right that we racing types never stray into the other sections of the site so miss out on such things.  Have sent a contribution in.  Humps

jonpaul11

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 12:25 AM »
I said it before, and will do again. Charging to access the site will stop new users dead in their tracks.

Good point, look he current trend of the free networking site against the paid version. Facebook v Friendsreunited is a great example.

jonpaul11

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 12:40 AM »
Dont Vintage do a similer thing nowadays?

Their site REALLY slowed down after they started that (post count wise)

DINGO

Take a look at the below figures from Alexa.com regarding Vintage - they had real growth until late 04 then it fell away...

jonpaul11

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47 AM »
btw I forgot to say Alexa.com can be a wee bit hit and miss. I know that from comparing Alexa to webtrends I use in the office.

se bikes

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12 AM »
How about free 6 months then a £10 a year fee after that?? Only prob would be new usernames/same users from an IP addy and aint got a clue how you fix that :idiot2:

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Anyway you can regulate what people can see on the site by date ?

Could be good to set the forum in a manner so only members can see posts from the last 28 days.  That way new users of the site can see all posts from over a month ago to get a feel of whats going on but need to sign up to see what's new..........?

TBH £12 membership is fek all (£1 a month) and being able to look at older threads will give peeps an insight into what they get for the money.  Obviously For Sale/Trade/Wanted should be off limits to anyone but members.  I've noticed the odd 'For Sale' thread lately from people with a post count of 1 (which isn't a massive problem but would be worth RAD capitalising on it)

Just my two penneth  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52 AM »
 :) With regards to JT`s question-did seem like it was a healthy debate,but I can also understand Ratty`s POV.Stace`s comments on membership fees are also a valid point.I have been a RAD member for ages,and have only just made a donation.Maybe I`m a hypocrite but until recently I had never gave donation a thought,though I will try to do more when possible.I have been into BMX forever and thought I knew it all until i discovered this site!

PS Humps:With all due respect,I`m a racer and read all I can on here.BMX is BMX-all good.

James   

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 09:58 AM »
why should folk pay to leave threads just to have them deleted ? .If you start to charge for this site it will kill it and another free site will just start up .Try it ,charge for folks to come on it and see what happens .........I dare you  >:D
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 10:02 AM »
why should folk pay to leave threads just to have them deleted ? .If you start to charge for this site it will kill it and another free site will just start up .Try it ,charge for folks to come on it and see what happens .........I dare you  >:D

Any better ideas for making the site some money ?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 10:03 AM »
craig i think its more to the point ,if members want meets to get better they cost money mko8
so who pays for it !!!!and how is it paid all for its not free.
giving ideas on how to raise funds might help ,it wil make it easier to do stuff.  :daumenhoch:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 10:10 AM »

Any better ideas for making the site some money ?
Do radbmx mugs .

I hear that alot of folk wont be going to another bash after the crimbo one .
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Mugs are always a good shout but there's not alot of profit in them !!

Shame to hear that about the Christmas Do ?  I didn't make it but got the impression it was a good night??

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 10:30 AM »

Shame to hear that about the Christmas Do ?  I didn't make it but got the impression it was a good night??

Yeah it was a good night i was told .Some members had another opinion on how the night went of which  i am not going to get into as i never went ....The mugs idea was a joke  :daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35 AM »
The mugs idea was a joke  :daumenhoch:

It was a good one  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 11:01 AM »

Yeah it was a good night i was told .Some members had another opinion on how the night went of which  i am not going to get into as i never went ....The mugs idea was a joke  :daumenhoch:

hmmmm...tell more!

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 11:02 AM »
NOPE  :-X Call me if ya wanna know  :-*
Old School BMX only
Cash is King

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Call you what ?  :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47 AM »
The best thing about RAD used to be the lack of politics and the general positive vibe of people happy to have rediscovered BMX again or finding someone to share old memories with.

It's still a great site populated by lots of sound people, but the politics and negativity seems to be creeping in.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 12:10 PM »
This is a hard one to call, personally i wouldn't have a problem with paying to be a member....but i can see Craigs point too, i think it would kill the site.  I also think there have been some good points regards members only being able to see the for sale section as seeing someone who's posted 1 post up just to sell something does kind of stick in the throat a little......but then again why shouldn't we as RAD members get the chance to buy those things instead of bidding for them on ebay?

I am going to ask a really stupid question now......but why does RAD need to make lots of money?  if it is in need of funds to run the servers, or upgrade them, pay for hosting and maintanence or something then do a charity event where all proceeds go to RAD?

As for MK08, Well i would have no problem with being charged £5/£10 to camp over night? we discussed this amungst ourselves at MK07 and we all said the same thing....it's such a great event and Dave and others who (sorry for knowing all your names) who work so hard to make it happen deserve a lot of praise for setting it all up.

I personally think chatging for membership isn't the right way to go.........but the odd fund raising event wouldn't go a miss??  and everyone i spoke to about it would gladly pay to pitch there tent and camp for the night at this years MK  :daumenhoch:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45 PM »
This is a hard one to call, personally i wouldn't have a problem with paying to be a member....but i can see Craigs point too, i think it would kill the site.  I also think there have been some good points regards members only being able to see the for sale section as seeing someone who's posted 1 post up just to sell something does kind of stick in the throat a little......but then again why shouldn't we as RAD members get the chance to buy those things instead of bidding for them on ebay?

I am going to ask a really stupid question now......but why does RAD need to make lots of money?  if it is in need of funds to run the servers, or upgrade them, pay for hosting and maintanence or something then do a charity event where all proceeds go to RAD?

As for MK08, Well i would have no problem with being charged £5/£10 to camp over night? we discussed this amungst ourselves at MK07 and we all said the same thing....it's such a great event and Dave and others who (sorry for knowing all your names) who work so hard to make it happen deserve a lot of praise for setting it all up.

I personally think chatging for membership isn't the right way to go.........but the odd fund raising event wouldn't go a miss??  and everyone i spoke to about it would gladly pay to pitch there tent and camp for the night at this years MK  :daumenhoch:
Ditto
Old School BMX only
Cash is King

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2008, 01:00 PM »
I agree about the site membership fees..That would virtually kill it off (as far as attracting new members is concerned,as Ratty said)

But in order to raise some well needed operating dosh,show cost funds ect,then how about a subscription service for the Marketplace part of the site?

Each member pays say,£10 per year and that gives them access to do all the trading they want. The rest of the site is free for new members to look around and contribute to,and they can still view the marketplace but if you want to sell/trade then you gotta subscribe.

As has been said, its prob the busiest part of the forum and 10 quid out of anyones proceeds for the whole year is well worth it..

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 01:09 PM »
That seems a good idea
Old School BMX only
Cash is King

Offline Romswife

• Team Owner
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 01:13 PM »

its not a stupid question
rad doesnt need to make lots of money, it does occasionly need to raise money for hosting/maintenance - last years site supporters donatation covered what it needed at that point
when we need money again for hosting/maintenance i am sure we will ask and lots of members will help out by another donation

as for needing money for milton keynes - meets etc - rad has always tried to do these things with minimal charge to its members, so if there is money in the kitty for all the things you need to put on something like milton keynes, eg. st johns ambulance, skips for rubbish, etc then rad can get away with not charging members for just coming along, where as if there is no money in the kitty, then charges will have to be put on people to camp over etc, to cover costs we incur, not to earn out of it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  why has the sponsorship thread from ratty dissappeared???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx