gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 12:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Clip in pedals "Devil pedals"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Clip in pedals "Devil pedals"  (Read 1823 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Clip in pedals "Devil pedals"
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Since getting back into BMX racing the biggest change I have noticed is "Clips"
Personally I think they are wrong for BMX. I found the following article written by flemdog, its a bit out of date but have a read and lets discuss it.....

The Future… by Tony Fleming 14/09/2005

At Cheddar the commission have a survey to determine the future of clips pedals use at domestic nationals.

You need to be open-minded and step outside the box for a minute and consider both sides to the debate…

Whatever course you decide upon, there will always be someone to tell you that you are wrong… and of course, there are always difficulties arising that will tempt you to believe your critics are right.

Below are some key arguments and fears surrounding the clips survey, please consider these words carefully and remember you will be voting for the future growth of your sport when handed the "survey" slips.

Many feel that the very dogma of BMX’s past have been trodden on, the very essence and foundation is way built on vulgarized, many believe that we are now a hybrid sport, sterilized of grace, flare, style and that our sport can only be appreciated by the hardcore BMX race community…

The map back to the success of BMX racing starts with a ban of these “non BMX” pedals, this without a shadow of a doubt will be an instrumental catalyst to getting BMX back to the Mecca it was…

We have the perfect opportunity again to do just that, just look around you, the bike of choice these days on the streets is the BMX…kids love them, teenagers go to school on them but still they don’t know BMX racing even exist, nor do most bikes shops who simply buy the BMX trial bikes because they’ve seen them featured at the “X” games, or in BMX magazines, etc…

We need to rid our sport of these pedals (domestically) and the baggage they came with, this will greatly assist in unification of our community and restore our image; only then we shall save and grow our once great sport again…

All other BMX disciplines have boomed, we haven’t, why is that…because they look at us with xenophobic eyes…

Remember, courage is not the lack of fear… It is acting in spite of it… these days courage is rarely at the summit of commitment and effort…

Magazine coverage
Magazine coverage will give us a huge outreach to new riders, new sponsors, more money, better events, better facilities, healthier club accounts, more clubs needed!, bigger pro purse, Pro’ salaries, etc, etc… it’s a win, win for everyone…

Problem is Ride / Dirt magazine won’t publish any articles or photographs in it’s magazine that is not in the best interests of it’s subscribers (i.e. Generic pictures of BMX racing, clipped in and diluted).

Ride will portray and represent BMX racing in a professional and viewable fashion if it was once again appealing to it’s 35,000 subscribers, just think about all those kids who will finally get to see what BMX racing for the first time (and portrayed in a way that other BMX disciplines can appreciate too!)

Clips are a natural progression of our sport… Clips have significantly depreciated our sport, de-evolving tracks, procession cornering at every national, fewer jumps actually being jumped, more serious injuries commonplace, sterile jumping posture…

They are not cheating, the UCI rules back me up…The rules are archaic and very contradictory… i.e.
There seems to be a grayness back in 1997 in regards to a questionable amendment that conveniently allowed clips in when previously toe clips and pedal restraints of any kind where outlawed.
The rules actually conflict with them selves, i.e. no rigid soled shoes to be used in BMX… errmm...Clip shoes are narrow, have a hard plastic sole with metal imbedded inside them…

Flat pedal riders can just clip in to compete, what’s all the fuss about…?
Why should the majority of British riders choose to sell out and utilize clips just because the minority rides them? Can you imagine BMX if every single rider rode clips, how boring would that be to watch…!

This is pretty much the state of affairs in the States, there is no advantage no more because most are clipped in already (sponsorship and moneywise they are now feeling the negative effects of their new hybrid sport...)

I can’t compete in Europe without clips!!!
No one is asking you too!!! this ban proposal is for domestic nationals / regionals only, I totally agree with the clipsters here, you have to fight fire with fire when it comes to UCI races and clip in, until such a time comes where the UCI finally are pressured by other worldwide BMX associations into a total ban on clips.

If we can’t ride clips at domestic nationals we will be at a disadvantage when we compete internationally with clips…
As most know, I raced a season on clips in the USA, so I talk from experience when I say it doesn’t take much effort to swap pedals over a week before an international.

At the more technical tracks this year, how many clipsters did you see riding their flat pedals in practice because the track was gnarley at first for clips and then see clipsters clipping back in to race once they had the track nailed…

Also, it’s fair to say that there are only a very small percentage of riders that even bother to travel and populate these international (UCI) races, they can quite easily slip their clips on a week before their race without any threat of a disadvantage. (as per Dale Holmes’ quote: “You really can ride flats all day/months long then still put on clips for the European stuff and be on par, a week later I put on my clips , first time in months and made the Euro final in Czech”.

Let’s face facts, we have a lot of catching up to do in Britain to compete with our euro cousins, the only way to develop and call upon the very best in our riders is by coaching, appreciation, encouragement, winter training, skill development, dedication and commitment...

I want medals and titles for our country like everyone, but first we need to grow and improve and not hide behind and rely on artificial gain devices…, that's all...failure to acknowledge the above and we will fair poor for sure...

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:30 AM by RATTY »
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Webdawg

Re: Clip in pedals "Devil pedals"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:44 AM »
Thank god u posted that on here and not that other shit talk, the topic ran and ran.

My opinion is no clips for the record.

There was a vote, however there were many riders who claim that this was riged to show as pro clips.

Sure Flem can update us.

Flemdog

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Yeah the vote was handled pretty badly by the commission at the time, vote rugging, vote sheets not posted, terrible communication.... it was a survey, then a vote, the vote box was opened prematurely by a persona untrustworthy... disgusting... Hence why I am on the BMX commission now, to ensure a fair and balanced sport that is bought by sad little tossers....

I love this picture http://www.bmxvidz.com/arcade/index.php'showtopic=71 (from my race this weekend)
Notice the cheatin' clipsters getting out pulled by the real BMX'ers on flat pedals... you never leave the door open, ever... 3 clipsters in one corner pimp. quite impressive...! 8)

nic968

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:34 PM »
 Racing does seem to be a neglected and misunderstood side to BMX...Which is sad as this is where it began.It's what BMX means...
 As a kid riding my bike was a big part of my life,and although I only raced (officially) a couple of times in the early 80's,every weekend and holiday was spent tearing around the woods racing my mates.What was great about the 'proper' races was the fact that I was riding that same bike.The same bike I rode to school or in the woods.All I needed to join in the organised events was a helmet and a plate,easy.
 If competing in a race now means special pedals and special shoes,where's the spontaneous fun?It seems like another barrier to an activity that is out of reach,or more likely unheard of,to most kids.
 Maybe a lot of us 'old schoolers' are nostalgic has beens,and should let the 'sport' evolve..But personally I reckon to get racing recognized and respected by the 'kids' and media it needs to be more accessible,not more elite....
 Get on your bike,race it around and have fun...Simple...BMX.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 12:44 PM »
My veiw is that clips and the silly racing shoes , the carbon fibre race pedigree bikes , the rubbish race clothes all make racing look geeky and a complete turn off to kids who see BMX as freedom thing

BMX racing is so far behind other elements of BMX is beacause it does look nerdy these days , kids walking around in clip in shoes and having bikes that are only for racing.

It put my nephew off straight away

Rich

zed4130

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:50 PM »
I use spuds on my mtb and my road bike and have done since 1993 ,but i would never put them on a bmx  :idiot2: clipless all the way  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I used clips for years on a mountain bike but eventually went back to platforms after a couple of crashes wheer I couldn't get out of the pedals in time.

The idea of using them on a bmx is a bit odd because i imagine that you'd be restricted on lines you could take.

Can you imagine clips at Hersden.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I have to agree with Rich, the racers just don't seem to realise how stupid they look these days.  Tight elasticated race pants with silly 'disco slippers' just look so geeky.  An element of cool has to start getting back into BMX Racing or it is gonna fall on its ass. 

zed4130

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:36 PM »
I have to agree with Rich, the racers just don't seem to realise how stupid they look these days.  Tight elasticated race pants with silly 'disco slippers' just look so geeky.  An element of cool has to start getting back into BMX Racing or it is gonna fall on its ass. 

yeah we are all cool in our vans and on our flatties  :daumenhoch: we cooler than them ,nah nah na nah nah   :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:52 PM »
lol. attaching your feet to the pedals.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12 PM »

My personal opinion is that its on its arse already, bring back some style, starting with the bikes, the shoes the race uniform and on the track. There are some stylish riders out there, but a lot of "clones" too much grey and black and not enough Gt factory colours, except BADBMX and the tango kits >:D :shocked:

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 05:18 PM »
I remember first seeing John Lee racing, he was wearing a motobike helmet and huge Doc Marten boots - he thrashed everyone  :P  Ruddy hell, I'm going back a bit there  ::)

Flatties all the way  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 05:21 PM »
I remember first seeing John Lee racing, he was wearing a motobike helmet and huge Doc Marten boots - he thrashed everyone  :P  Ruddy hell, I'm going back a bit there  ::)

Wow I think it was John Lee who beat me into 2nd place at Eastway in 1981. He wasnt wearing doc martins that dat :shocked:

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 05:33 PM »

Wow I think it was John Lee who beat me into 2nd place at Eastway in 1981. He wasnt wearing doc martins that dat :shocked:

I've got him on DVD with them  :D  Wish I could get the clips uploaded.

I think it's around Christmas 1980 with the Docs.  By end of 81, I think he was sponsored by Raleigh, wasn't he?  Sorry guys, hijacking the thread a bit.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:35 PM by LucyLastic »

the stag

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 06:23 PM »
you'd ALWAYS want a bloke in jeans and vans to beat some the man in clips and lycra

hooga1975

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 06:44 PM »
I think they should be banned straight away.  If you are a good rider why would you need to wear clips?  FFS, what next?  You might as well put gears on a bmx, wear skin tight lycra and make the track flat and smooth if you need to ride with clips :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 08:11 PM »

Simon my James uses clips regularly at Hersden as he does at most meetings because he's actually better with them on.  As a 'Sunday rider' competing in 13 - 14 years he's up against quite a few guys clipped in but because he doesn't train or race regularly he needs the 'pull' as well as the 'push' to keep up with his peers.  That said, he can ride flats and will do so at the South Champs in September.  He bought his own Mallet C pedals and shoes which are actually the easiest to detach from as they cannot be tensioned up for better attachment - that's when you see the bikes follow the rider down.  Do I approve of clips??  Well, it's progress as is carbon-fibre parts and titanium but as Flemdog has just proven if you're fit enough you can win on flats, so is there really a problem??  Humps

PS:  Can't see the Flying Fox or Teapot staying away from this thread now!!   ;D

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20 PM »
I'll third that thing about race uniforms, but we're going off topic there. I don't race so as far as the great clips debate is concerned i'm not really qualified to comment.

zed4130

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:58 PM »

Simon my James uses clips regularly at Hersden as he does at most meetings because he's actually better with them on.  As a 'Sunday rider' competing in 13 - 14 years he's up against quite a few guys clipped in but because he doesn't train or race regularly he needs the 'pull' as well as the 'push' to keep up with his peers.  That said, he can ride flats and will do so at the South Champs in September.  He bought his own Mallet C pedals and shoes which are actually the easiest to detach from as they cannot be tensioned up for better attachment - that's when you see the bikes follow the rider down.  Do I approve of clips??  Well, it's progress as is carbon-fibre parts and titanium but as Flemdog has just proven if you're fit enough you can win on flats, so is there really a problem??  Humps

PS:  Can't see the Flying Fox or Teapot staying away from this thread now!!   ;D

carbon fibre and titamium has been around for years as has euro bb clamp on stems canterlever brakes ,these were all good for bmx , but spuds  :tickedoff: no way, bmx is about simple bikes one gear 2 wheels thats it  :daumenhoch: bring back the flatties ban the clips  :tickedoff:

se

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29 PM »
S'fer poufs.

Webdawg

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 11:45 PM »
told you you'd start somefin Ratty, get Flem to petition for another vote ;)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 11:48 PM »
Its not fair for me to cast aspersions on the stoopid pedals, its just an observation. But the clips do look totally gay >:D

now where are the clip racers for their views???

Webdawg

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 12:17 AM »
They all at home crying into their disco slippers after Flem skooled em all at Cheddar ;D

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21 AM »
now where are the clip racers for their views???

You won't find any on here Ratty they're all over on BMX Talk.  Humps

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Clips is just wrong, not BMX

Rich is right racers now look geeky in their bright lycra  :-* and most race bikes look crap as well - sorry, they look like mountain bikes with small wheels

Even when i raced in the 80's/90's by the early 90's, many racers were getting fed up wearing race gear and either adopted the casual racer look, ellese, pringle jumpers! or the skate / bones style  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Clip in pedals "Devil pedals"

gfxgfx
gfx gfx