gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 26, 2024, 02:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  New school 25th Anniversary Skyway T/A !!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New school 25th Anniversary Skyway T/A !!  (Read 14414 times)

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: New school 25th Anniversary Skyway T/A !!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 08:55 PM »
well you have had 3 minutes ed. when can i expect delivery. :LolLolLolLol:

i know its only a thought at the minute but that would be nice

ZippyDixon

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 09:38 PM »
check out billy 'famous' stupple.....still there at the skyway factory after 24 yrs.

thats cool bill

Dave
   Agreed,no doubt they never forgot you Bill but I'm betting even you didnt think that you'd be on the wall of the Skyway Office aftet all these years.  :daumenhoch: respect where its due fella.....come to think of it,I bet Dean Scott Webb would be pretty surprised too!!!
    Stu

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 09:48 PM »
That's right!
I had a meeting with the 4 owners of Skyway this week, and one of the topics was doing a retro 25th Anniversary Skyway T/A frame with modern geometry.
 After a couple hours of discussion, plans were approved to go into the developmental stages of designing both a pro 20", and a pro Cruiser new school T/A frame!
 This is great news!  I'll keep everybody here posted as we start designing prototypes!
 Now, please keep this in mind..... at this point we are collecting data on making the new frames.  No production date, or pricing have been discussed yet, and there is a possibility that we can hit some snags that delay this from happening, but... the important thing right now is that this is what is being planned!

here are some pics from my visit....

Outside the factory in Northern California.  Did you know that the factory is within 40 miles of 2 volcanoes?!

If you own a set of Tuff 2's, chances are this machine made them!

Here is an inside look at both halves of the Tuff 2 wheel mold.

Ken Coster, the president of Skyway, keeps a cool collection of product in his office! (And none of it is for sale!)

I'll post more later!
 -Ed

ed what is the item in the skyway box behind the flower vase thing

dialledbikes

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 10:01 PM »
It would be nice to see Skyway back on the scene.

Their graphics and race jersey still look fresh after all these years.  Classic.

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 06:09 AM »
tefore
 The box in the bottom of the pic is a set of Skyway motorcycle googles that were made in the 70's.
 Sweet, huh!

BY THE WAY........ the news about the retro T/A is only half the news!
 The US guys don't know this yet, and this is the VERY first mention of it.  I'll let the VintageBMX guys in on this too......

While I was at Skyway, I was able to get the keys for the back container to have a good long look for some relics.  Remember the Streetbeat framesets that were un-earthed last year?  Well... this is where they were kept for the last 20-something years.

I pulled out some goodies.... NOS Spinmasters, and some Tuff Pedals, and some other stuff . (The Spinmasters are now on coloredtuffs.com if anybody wants one!)

Well...... sitting in the containers was a great HUGE box of 1980's original T/A tubing.  All cut and formed, just waiting for welding!  No blemishes, no rust!  PERFECT original True Temper tubing!

So.... during our meeting we discussed the future of the old stock of tubes.  We brought up a few names of reputable welders, and one was contacted, AND he personally came in to get a tubeset to look at.
 I'm not going to release his name until he agrees to the job, but... I will tell you that you ALL know his work!
 So....... it looks like the Skyway 25th Anniversary bash starts off with 100% original Skyway T/A framesets, 100% Made In the USA!  50 are to be made, and we will try to get half of them chromed, while the other half will be white.  If the 50 sell out fast, there is a possibility that more can be made, depending on how many tube sets are left, but 50 is the number right now.
 Frames will probably be stamped "25th Anniversary" on the bottom bracket so there is no confusion on the release date of the frame.
 Sales will be through www.coloredtuffs.com, and we are now starting a "waiting list" for these framesets.   
 To get on this list, please send you name and info to sales@coloredtuffs.com, and we'll notify you when they will be available.  Cost is not determined as this time.
 So..... Killer news!!
-Ed

scary_leary

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Original frames is better...

quote.."Frames will probably be stamped "25th Anniversary"

i hope this is a definitely not probably.

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Ed,

you got mail !!

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 03:49 PM »
quote.."Frames will probably be stamped "25th Anniversary"

Yeah... I think that it's necessary, and the Skyway guys agreed.  We can't let any of these get out where they could get confused with an older frame.  It will look identical, and there will be really no way to tell the difference.
 The BB stamp is the way to go, with perhaps an additional "25th Anniversary" seat tube decal....

Lazarou

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 04:01 PM »
What about getting one, removing the stickers and painting it white, then putting Black Dirt Bros stickers on it? It would be a modern/original dirt bros frame. How cool?

There was a guy on Vintage a couple of years back who had one of the 'new school' Dirt Brothers frames with a TA sticker set on it which i thought was cool.

peen

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Great news.

I wonder if this anonymous welder is Rod Miles - http://www.vintagebmx.com/rodmiles.htm.

I think he is also into his Skyway's since I think he owns a 16", 20" and 24" from the pics I've seen on vbmx.com.

I don't expect confirmation of this. :D Just a guess/speculation. :)

rudhallrascal

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 07:17 PM »
Great news.

I wonder if this anonymous welder is Rod Miles - http://www.vintagebmx.com/rodmiles.htm.

I think he is also into his Skyway's since I think he owns a 16", 20" and 24" from the pics I've seen on vbmx.com.

I don't expect confirmation of this. :D Just a guess/speculation. :)

Peen, i  think you may have hit the nail on the head  :daumenhoch: we will have to wait and see...

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Well fingers crossed I'll be on the list to get one made out of the original tubing and one of the retro models.  :daumenhoch:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Although Rod is freakin' awesome....... it's not him.  Rod is an East Coast guy, and Skyway's list of hand-picked welders are West Coast guys.....
 Greg Esser was also interested in the job, and was on my personal list....
 I'll confirm the name when I get the official word.....
-Ed

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2007, 10:03 PM »
It'll be nice to see some of these re welded TA's make it to the UK.  :daumenhoch:

rudhallrascal

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 12:09 AM »
Ed, will there be any plans to ship any of these T/A's across the water to us...  :Great_Britain:

I hope so....  :daumenhoch:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 02:16 AM »
Yup!  True!!
 LOL...
 Yes, I will be handling all individual sales on this for Skyway, and will be able to ship them anywhere over there. 
 At this point we now have 20 names on our "waiting list".  If anybody else wants to get in line, send an email!
 sales@coloredtuffs.com
 -Ed

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 07:09 PM »
hey guys.. here's an update.  We just had a meeting about the 25th Anniversary "original" T/A's, and I will be emailing everybody that is on the waiting list this Tuesday with pricing and news.

To get on the waiting list, send me an email with "25th Anniversary Skyway T/A frameset" in the title heading, and I'll put you on the list. 
 -Ed
sales@coloredtuffs.com

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Looking forward to that email then.  :daumenhoch:

mightynimrod

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Looking forward to that email then.  :daumenhoch:

Me too :D

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43 PM »
And me !!

Ed, I know I got on the list very early so feel free to email Monday, I won't mind !!

;) :D  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 08:14 PM »
guys, please keep me informed about what this bike looks like and what price it is etc, cant wait till they hit the streets...

2020mad

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 08:16 PM »
The new school version sounds interesting.

highrisedrifter

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 12:23 AM »
I can't wait to get my email. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks Ed  :daumenhoch:

HRD

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
This is exciting. Ed, will there be any XL tube sets being welded up?
A long time ago, in a land far away!

shivadread

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Bit confused how they will be allocating the 100 or so frames when there must be a few thousand wanting them, will it be done like a raffle or first 100 people to log on and pay on that website gets it.  If so us in the UK will be loosing out big time as it may be in the middle of the night

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  New school 25th Anniversary Skyway T/A !!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx