gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 07:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1983/4 SKYWAY TA built to ride..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1983/4 SKYWAY TA built to ride..  (Read 3347 times)

Offline stockcar3

• Curb Endo
  • Old School Haro 1982- 1989
    • https://www.facebook.com/richardaustinrees
  • Rated:
1983/4 SKYWAY TA built to ride..
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:31 PM »
This is my first submission and my first build so go easy on me pleeeease !

My story is no different from many of you.
On 1981 on my 9th Birthday i desperately wanted a BMX, not inspired from "that episode from CHiPs" but from World of Sport watching Evel Knievel and Eddie Kid (my childhood hero's) and BBC1's Kick start and then replicating on my Raleigh Comanche.
The girls version of a Chopper !!!  dont know what Mum was trying to tell me!!
Anyway...
I had my eyes on a black and gold PK ripper...
"its the black and gold one i want Mum, its the only one in the shop!! " 
The fact that i had been riding a girls bike for 4 years gave me a lot of leverage to choose what i wanted !
I woke up to a black and gold "Super Burner "!!!
You know that moment where you try not to show that you are gutted and instead full off appreciation !
Mum thought they were tears of Joy

My time in BMX lasted from 81 to 84 then it was girls and Stockcar racing that took over and lasted till 2005.

13 months ago my passion for BMX was renewed after a 34 year break.
Its taken 9 months of sourcing parts, and one month of shot blasting, polishing powder coating and changing my mind !!!
The problem with a first build over such a long period of time is that you build the bike 100 times in your head and each time it changes !!

The bike has been built OG era correct where possible  with exception to the wheels and tyres (at present) as the bike will be ridden especially on track and dirt. The beauty of the TA is that it was available as a frame set only therefore every build is the riders choice and NEVER wrong !
A spare set of OG wheels and tyres has been purchased for when on show but as purchased from the USA didnt quite make MK 15 where the bike turned its very first wheel and was invited to be put on show with the Skyway Appreciation Society.

The bike started out as a frame bought from Ebay for $200 as it was advertised as an Aero Bmx frame. Mine was the only bid. It went to US.com who sent it out to me straight away by accident therefore i was not charged for shipping, so this was a great start to the build.
I opted for for the Tange TRX forks. As this bike was going to be ridden these were considered "built as a replacement for a TA due to all those cracked drop outs !! The Tange drop outs seem to be invincible !?? plus trying to find a undamaged set of forks is one of those tough ones !

The bike runs genuine CW Pro Bars, NOS Suntour Stem, NOS Dia Compe 901's, Sugino CT 175 looseball Crank and 44t NOS chain wheel, Tange headset and Seat clamp, shotgun 2 seat, NOS Shimano DX and SX to ride on and finished off with a NOS Pad set and NOS Zeronine plate.

I will be changing the brakes to dia compe MX 1000s as i found a full 84 set in white at MK 15, as well as the cables to red. Im on the look out for some blue oakley grips but that could take a while !!
as well as a set of 80s blue gumwall tyres and some red 80s OG tuffs which have already been purchased but will be put on only for show and shine.
Otherwise im happy with this and now will start a Haro 84 or 85 sport or Master as freestyle bike (again to ride the ramps).

I think my non - riding show bike will be a Torker built Haro Freestyler Generation 1  but building a freestyle rider is my priority as i want to leave the Skyway just for the dirt..

Despite this bike costing a small fortune and more than it would sell for , to me its been worth every penny. I dont expect it to win any shows build offs as its just "another TA"  and no its not original paint.

..but i love it and i hope its brings at least a fraction of the pleasure to just some as it has bought me building it and riding it.

Full Build spec here:

Frame

Production Serial 11-1983 released to retail 1984

Skyway TA Curved Bridge Chrome (Restored)

Forks

OG Tange TRX 500 (Restored)

Handle Bars

OG Genuine CW Pro  (Restored)

Seat Post

Cro-Moly Lay Back Unbranded Genuine 80s (NOS)

Stem

OG Suntour Goose Neck (NOS)

Headset

Tange Seki MX-125 Alloy headset

Crank

OG Sugino Cro-Moly Ct 175 (Restored)

OG Sugino Bottom Bracket & Spindle (NOS)

Chain Drive

OG Sugino 44t Chain Ring Blue (NOS)

KMC Z410 1 Blue Chain (New)

OG Suntour 16t Freewheel

Pedals

OG SHIMANO DX (NOS)

Brakes

OG Dia Compe mx 900 Blue (NOS)

OG Dia Compe Tech 4 (NOS)

OG Dia Compe Blue 1984 (NOS)

OG Skyway Red Pads (NOS)

* changing to 84 white Dia Compe MX 1000s with 84 red cables

Seat

Ariake Jaguar Shotgun 2 Checkered seat (Survivor)

Seat guts (NOS 80s Unbranded)

Seat Clamp Tange (NOS)

Grips

AME TRI Blue (NOS)

Wheels

Skyway Tuff II Tyres

Cheng Sin 2.0 x 1.75 Blue (NOS Early 90s)

* a set of OG Blue Panracer Knarly Knobblers in Blue and OG red skyway tuffs have been purchased from the states to use for future shows.

Extra’s

Zeronine Factory Number Plate  –White (NOS)

Skyway designs Padset  (NOS)

Decals by Delcal
Shot blasting and Powder By Armourtex London with thanks [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Based in Exeter, Devon and London's West End but now living and working in Essex
Loving Haro 82 - 89

Offline denzil

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: 1983/4 SKYWAY TA built to ride..
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Lovely that mate, did I see it at mk?

Offline stockcar3

• Curb Endo
  • Old School Haro 1982- 1989
    • https://www.facebook.com/richardaustinrees
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 04:21 PM »
yes indeed, by the skin of my teeth complete with twisted chain gear and dodgy brakes and fixing trackside lol .

Based in Exeter, Devon and London's West End but now living and working in Essex
Loving Haro 82 - 89

Offline Cleedubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Saw this at MK.... loved it... as did everyone judging by the comments

:daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Didn't get to see this at MK but it's a great first build and I loved your story ... So similar to many of us... It was the same for me too... I wanted an ultra burner and got a GS.... I wanted a Commadore 64 and got an Acorn Electron! Lol
As Will Smith once rapped ' Parents just don't understand '    :)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53 PM »
Very nice bike mate you cant beat classic red white and blue, patriotic too  :Great_Britain:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Great story. Great build.  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1983/4 SKYWAY TA built to ride..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx