gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975756 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 05:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Facebook slowly strangling this site?  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Facebook slowly strangling this site?
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Hanging a hat on Facebook as the reason this place is quiet is great and if something makes you feel better, I've always said go for it but......is it really the reason it's quiet on here?

I've seen numerous 1st or second posts , where someone asks what something is worth, which let's face it, goes against our etiquette but do new members know that? Invariably, these posts are met with " interesting 1st post GET A SITE SUPPORTERS TAG " and usually followed with several more frosty replies along the same lines, hardly welcoming is it.

This thread is a good example of many threads where there is lots and lots of moaning, there's other threads that end up with people falling out. These threads are regular and across the boards of the forum.

Maybe a quick poll of former members who didn't come back after the crash and the ones who did that don't come on very much would give more answers.

The thing is though, there is a warning that comes with seeking the truth, you might not like what you hear.

I don't use Facebook and rejoice in that fact regularly but lots and lots of people do and they seem to it :)
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Interesting 12212th post!

:LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:46 AM by That Swan Guy »
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47 AM »

:slayer:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

griff

« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2014, 10:10 AM »

From what i remember Stodgy saying last year, i don't think you can actually delete a group once there's a certain amount of members??   ???

you can't change the name that's all

Hanging a hat on Facebook as the reason this place is quiet is great and if something makes you feel better, I've always said go for it but......is it really the reason it's quiet on here?

I've seen numerous 1st or second posts , where someone asks what something is worth, which let's face it, goes against our etiquette but do new members know that? Invariably, these posts are met with " interesting 1st post GET A SITE SUPPORTERS TAG " and usually followed with several more frosty replies along the same lines, hardly welcoming is it.

This thread is a good example of many threads where there is lots and lots of moaning, there's other threads that end up with people falling out. These threads are regular and across the boards of the forum.

Maybe a quick poll of former members who didn't come back after the crash and the ones who did that don't come on very much would give more answers.

The thing is though, there is a warning that comes with seeking the truth, you might not like what you hear.

I don't use Facebook and rejoice in that fact regularly but lots and lots of people do and they seem to it :)

blimey Si - next thing you'll be sticking up for 24" Tuffs
but I agree with what you're saying, old members aren't going to necessarily hang around forever and newbies to the forum need to feel welcomed. We generally do a pretty good job of this esp. on the rideouts but there's always room to improve

:teef:

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2014, 11:10 AM »
2000 plus members 88 votes are we still giving this thread time of day 6 pages and 95% of rad members obviously don't give a shit either way as haven't commented or voted
Jono

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Putting my personal views aside , it's plain to see the majority of RADsters want to bin the facebook page .  In my opinion that vote should be acted upon otherwise it just makes a mockery of any other votes that may be held in the future regarding the site etc .

I understand the reasons for and against but at the end of the day the members who have voted have gone with binning the FB page and personally i feel that's what a decision should be based on .

2000 plus members 88 votes are we still giving this thread time of day 6 pages and 95% of rad members obviously don't give a shit either way as haven't commented or voted

Exactly Jono .......... the same 95% of members who can't be arsed to vote in BOTM , comment on peoples builds or contribute on a regular basis to the site . The members who have voted are probably the ones who do contribute to the site and who do give a shit . There the one's we should listen to imo .

WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline dilybum

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32 AM »
my first thoughts were keep bothm, then actually this website is quite special so, kill FB i say

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Forums are dead, Facebook is the future....Gotta roll with the times people. :bondage:

griff

« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Putting my personal views aside , it's plain to see the majority of RADsters want to bin the facebook page .  In my opinion that vote should be acted upon otherwise it just makes a mockery of any other votes that may be held in the future regarding the site etc .

I understand the reasons for and against but at the end of the day the members who have voted have gone with binning the FB page and personally i feel that's what a decision should be based on .

Exactly Jono .......... the same 95% of members who can't be arsed to vote in BOTM , comment on peoples builds or contribute on a regular basis to the site . The members who have voted are probably the ones who do contribute to the site and who do give a shit . There the one's we should listen to imo .

Where did you put your personal views aside Joff? :teef:

Just to recap some of the facts..

This was never any kind of 'official' poll started by the site owner with a promise to act on the results. Anyone can start a poll about anything any time they start a thread - it doesn't mean anything is going to happen because of it but it's useful to get people's constructive feedback.

If you want to be nit picky more people (93 to be exact) have voted on the FB group already that they use both sites and the 'majority' on here that people keep quoting is currently 50/2510 members or 2%.

I'd like to think that Rad was inclusive enough to take on the opinions of a reasonably-sized minority. Understand that not everyone wants to use FB but a lot of people do (and they won't stop just because one group gets pulled).

getting bored of this thread now tbh

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2014, 12:13 PM »

I'm not surprised John considering you've probably had to read every post on here, and on the FB thread, I'd be bored by now too.

Maybe stop responding to other peoples opinions may give you a break from it.

Just a suggestion.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2014, 12:16 PM »
or just deleting the thread!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2014, 12:17 PM »

Even better, and the FB one of course, let's be fair.

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Forums are dead, Facebook is the future....Gotta roll with the times people. :bondage:

Then delete your rad account then.  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2014, 12:34 PM »

I'm not surprised John considering you've probably had to read every post on here, and on the FB thread, I'd be bored by now too.

Maybe stop responding to other peoples opinions may give you a break from it.

Just a suggestion.

Can't help it Dan
It's in my nature to read and respond to other people's opinions

Even better, and the FB one of course, let's be fair.

that can easily be done, but imagine the outcry

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2014, 12:37 PM »

I'm no Luddite but I hate FB and its lazy arsed approach to everything..
 FB the future? It's already gone mate!!
No self respecting teen would be seen dead with a FB account these days!

Rad needs to act and the majority has spoken ... !!!!!
Viva la revolution !!!

It's the people who care who posted replies and voted on this thread!!
Let's do something or any future votes are pointless .... ::)

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

griff

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40 PM »

Rad needs to act and the 2% has spoken ... !!!!!

fixed

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2014, 12:49 PM »
I like Faceache purely so I can see on my friends list who likes 'Britain First' and the 'BNP'...and then delete the fookers.

Although that's not really adding to the debate.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00 PM »
If people aren't officially on here then obviously they shouldn't have a vote?
(SST)

In any election it's not about who didn't bother to vote but those who did or do!

I know this is an unofficial vote so why not have a proper Rad referendum with only SSTs allowed to vote then we'd get a more equal and fair
response on the subject ?
Just an idea ?
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2014, 01:04 PM »

Then delete your rad account then.  :daumenhoch:

Why should I? I'll choose to do wtf I like.  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05 PM »
And I'll choose to say wtf I like.  :daumenhoch:

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Fook all to do with me what you choose to say, same as my accounts are fook all to do with you.  :-*

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11 PM »
Settle down chaps, no handbags required.

Save that kind of stuff for the FB group.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Yep true.......anyway I need to go now and log into my super duper state of the art Facebook account so I can see how many invites I have to candy crush.

Oh and it's only a tenner for an SST tag. Well worth it in my opinion.

griff

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2014, 01:16 PM »
If you click on the FB poll you can see the people who voted that they use both
Matching up those people to the forum nearly all of them are long-standing members with SSTs

How about we have a referendum after the last live event in the group calendar has taken place, which at the moment is set for June 2015?

Or just crack on and make the most of what can actually be a very useful tool for bringing new members into the forum?

I think a vote on selling on there is a good idea though, not because SST sales are suffering (they're not) but just because constant sale posts don't add much to the 'community', tend to clog up the page and get in the way of other stuff. Personally I would bin those that don't have a link to the forum, but I anticipate a backlash from those people who don't want it changed. I also don't think that people would suddenly start selling on here if they don't already, given the amount of other selling groups available.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2014, 01:17 PM »
and if you need any reasons why this place is the nuts!  just check this fooker out!!!   :4_17_5:   :smitten:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178074.msg1787809.html#new

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx