gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 23, 2024, 09:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Project 3- 1987 Mongoose Decade
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Project 3- 1987 Mongoose Decade  (Read 5144 times)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Project 3- 1987 Mongoose Decade
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Good morning guys.

I'm pleased to announce that the next project has arrived.  I bit the bullet and went for a 1987 ( I think) Decade 8)  It is 99.9% complete and original. 

I'll let the photos do the talking:

As you can see, it's in pretty good survivor condition 8)  As far as i can tell, everything on it is standard, apart from the tyres and brake cables. Perhaps a Decade guru would like to confirm?

The only bit of damage i can see on the frame unfortunately, is a bent rear drop out:

i118.photobucket.com/albums/o114/lowback/IMG_4868_zps0a4a44a3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Any suggestions on how to fix this? will a vice and a bit of brute force work, or will i need to heat it up and use a different technique? If you look at the inside of the chainstay tubing, the tubes are flat leading to the drop out, but only on the sprocket side.  Is this normal, or is it damage?

I'll keep you posted on progress :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:12 PM by laidback »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Project 3- 1987? Mongoose Decade
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Yeah its an '87  :daumenhoch:

Dropout is easy to sort, couple of bits of protection either side and slip a large adjustable spanner over the end, tighten it up to grip, and bend back  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:11 AM »
This 1987  has it flat, too, so i guess it's like that http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3481224

animalic Steve
Use 2 blocks of wood in a vice 2 straighten that  :daumenhoch: If u try just bending it cold it may snap  ;)

think i'd try without the heat incase you want to keep the surivor mint  and i'd use a miami vice too :D

edit: the adjustable spanner trick sounds tops :slayer:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Looks like it's been claimed already :LolLolLolLol:

Offline skippyg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 11:57 AM »
if I was there ,I would have claimed it as well :LolLolLolLol:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Can anyone tell me what brakes are on it? Are they Tech 5 Levers, with an 880 front caliper? What's the rear?

Offline skippyg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 08:59 PM »
dia compe 750 centre pull brake on the rear,thats what mine had on it
 :daumenhoch:

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Can anyone tell me what brakes are on it? Are they Tech 5 Levers, with an 880 front caliper?

Yep  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I made the most of the sunny afternoon we are having and decided to make a start on the bike.  I have completely stripped it, and was surprised how easily it came apart.  Everything is still perfectly serviceable, apart from the freewheel and brake cables, so i shall be cleaning them up and re-using everything else :)

I decided to make a start on the wheels today.  They are the original Skyway OE's, and as you can see, they were yellowed and very dirty. I didn't hold out much hope of getting them white again!

Before:

I had read various threads about whitening Tuffs, most of which involved the use of a bathroom cleaner containing bleach, and then some form of peroxide solution.  This is the route i have decided to take in the hope of getting mine white again.

I used Ciillt Bang with bleach, and some cream cleaner to remove the brake rub:

During:

The above photo shows how well the Cillit Bang lifts off the dirt without any scrubbing.

After:

One wheel cleaned, the other still to do:

Quite pleased with them!  I have ordered some peroxide gel, which i shall hopefully be using at the weekend.  Watch this space for the finished results :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:58 PM by laidback »

Offline skippyg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:06 PM »
whats the peroxide gel for? whitening the wheels?

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Yes Skippy. Although they look white, they could be whiter! Debating whether to leave them as they are, considering it's a survivor, or to go the whole hog :LolLolLolLol:

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Project 3- 1987 Mongoose Decade
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18 PM »
They came up really well, nice work  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Yep, pretty pleased with them. Just finished the front, it's just as good.  Im debating whether to peroxide them or not. They will be true white, rather than off white if i do. I wonder whether to leave them as they are, considering it's a survivor?

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31 PM »
If you're leaving the f+f and bars as is, personally I would leave the wheels alone now  :daumenhoch:

Offline brakedancer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:05 PM »
lookin sweet fella ... :daumenhoch:

nice job on the wheels too....

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 07:01 PM »
If you're leaving the f+f and bars as is, personally I would leave the wheels alone now  :daumenhoch:

^^^this! 
I was going to try and make a solution called 'retrobrite' gel which is popular amongst star wars figure collectors.Google it but it involved peroxide, vanish oxy action, and xanthe gum and glycerine as far as I remember....then some sunlight /uv light. Never got round to it in the end but worth a look.   :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44 PM »

^^^this! 
I was going to try and make a solution called 'retrobrite' gel which is popular amongst star wars figure collectors.Google it but it involved peroxide, vanish oxy action, and xanthe gum and glycerine as far as I remember....then some sunlight /uv light. Never got round to it in the end but worth a look.   :daumenhoch:

I've seen the Retrobrite stuff on a BMX Museum thread, that's where i read about using bathroom cleaner with bleach.  A pretty straight forward wheel resto. I've been cracking on with it this week, when i've had the chance.

Scabby old seat:

Bleached and then chucked in an OA bath, along with the cranks and some very rusty seat guts:

Result:

Seat guts before OA Bath:

After the OA Bath:

Although still a bit rusty, I think i will use them.  It's a survivor and they are original to the bike afterall!

Cleaned and serviced a few bits:

Serviced the freewheel, using the handy guide on here :daumenhoch:

Took delivery of these:

Cleaned and rebuilt the hubs:

And finished off the wheels 8):

Pleased with the whiteness of the tyres.  Not too bright, so they match (kind of) the rest of the white parts :)

And started to put the old girl back together after cleaning and polishing the frame:

It's nowhere near finished yet, still needs brake cables and tweaking.  Trying to get it ready for the London Ride.  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Gotta love a seafoam green decade :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Gotta love a seafoam green decade :daumenhoch:

Malibu Mint ;) ;D - or is it Seafoam?! It's becoming my favourite build! No hassle, no hunting for parts, and it's taken two weeks to do 8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:19 PM by laidback »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Spot on that is  :daumenhoch:

Nice work!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Looks like it's in similar condition to mine. Nearly gave it the full resto treatment when I got it, so glad I didn't  :daumenhoch:

Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Looks like it's in similar condition to mine. Nearly gave it the full resto treatment when I got it, so glad I didn't  :daumenhoch:

Very nice :)I'm of the opinion that unless it is a complete basket case and needs major work, then survivor is the way forward. A bit of patina shows a bit of history/tells a story.  Anyone can re powder a frame and make it mint, but it's only original once, and those scuffs and scrapes take years to develop, and are irreplaceable.

And you can ride the thing without worrying about scratching it :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Exactly! A while back in here it seemed like everyone was getting stuff stripped and powdered white.... sad times  :-X

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 11:34 AM »
A couple of finished pics, just dialled in the brakes ready for tomorrow's London Ride 8)

Offline brakedancer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 11:36 AM »
spot on dude look tremendous ..... :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Project 3- 1987 Mongoose Decade

gfxgfx
gfx gfx