gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 24, 2024, 12:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  strange but gorgeous cw find
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: strange but gorgeous cw find  (Read 7815 times)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
strange but gorgeous cw find
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:27 AM »
remember when i said i'd log off for a couple of days? ...well, i got tired of shooting clay pidgeons very quickly  ::), so i twist my thumbs for a while, looked around, took myself for a quick look on the bay, sighed and found this...

.. i love it...  :laugh:

.. 70s Playboy, don't ya think..? :)

just recently arrived :crazy2: ... you can imagine the wait was rather ...brutal ... my fingernails are kinda ... gone

So now i'm asking myself what to do with it, leave it as it is or restore it completely. I'm thinking about just changing parts, having the bars paintied and putting new decls on ... but the gussets are rusty, so the paint is flaking there ... and there too  :shocked:  Is overall pret-ty battered  :-[  Seems like someone was really having fun with it :(  ;D

I hope you like her  :D

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: strange but gorgeous cw find
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Get rid of that seat!!! :rant:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55 AM »
yeah, aeroyal nastiness, i hate it .... but it smells so good  :-[ ;D ... I'll deffo put smth different on, kashi aero  :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57 AM »
As none of the parts are correct, get it stripped and brought back to it's former glory :daumenhoch:

Got to love a CW :smitten: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16 PM »
... i was fearing that answer  :-X  ... but i guess you're right :-\/ 8)

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Thats great find! Id be tempted with a survivor build. :)

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23 PM »
survivor luggage rack all day mate, you know it makes sense  :smitten:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Cheers Matt, thanks Rich, glad you like it - you know, i really don't mind em being all battered , this one however has some rust issues. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow, so you can see . I just didn't want to show you her age marks right away  ;D ::)

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Cool! Nice find  :daumenhoch:

Offline Banachek

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Nice Lug rack, very rare, the Frame, Forks & bars deserve better parts though :smitten:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:30 AM »
Nice Lug rack, very rare, the Frame, Forks & bars deserve better parts though :smitten:

yup

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 04:44 PM »
...thanks for lookin and likin it :)  ..... now the ugly truth

from afar everythings ok

....survivor .... ? Doesn't one at least have to treat this? The steel of the gussetts aint flaking yet, but...  hmm. I'm just thinking structurally - not about the aesthetic aspect at the moment. What you guys think -- is this a danger that has to be contained? Is there a conservative way to do it?

i'd go for puple decals btw ;)                                                                                    ....... aah :laugh:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 07:33 PM »
id wire brush the worst off,splodge some rust killer on then brush paint some white over it. be spot on Will that  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:00 PM by chubby »

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:44 PM »
you got to do a dizz hicks tribute..... these had made colours back in the day...lavenders/oranges/greens/black

a nice find mate :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 08:32 PM »

sweet find  :smitten:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 05:20 PM »
YES - that's the spirit!  I love the splodge idea !  :D ... even though it will make the proper builders cringe  ;D .. at least i'll give it a try, and get some of that splonge stuff, undercoat 'n paint ..  :daumenhoch:    If i don't like it and it keeps gnawing at me, i can still have it stripped  ^"^

with the colours  .... ...lavenders/oranges/greens/black sound super duper .... Had a quick look for any other dizz tributes, there seem to be a few threads on vintage, but .... well, you know, it's like they have this random generator deciding whether you can come in or ..not.
Anyways i was thinking of keeping it white, and having the decals setup as on the one Roger Worsham is holding in this BMX Plus pic from 1984:
http://www.cw-racing.com/pages/history-cw-trick-team

but wait
this is .... well, I don'r really know what to think of this : one section of the seat tube seems a bit squashed.

kind stuck at the moment, im leaving some oil seep in - right now the seat post hardly moves at all. Just hope the tube aint fooked so i can get a new post in  :-[

:bondage:

...still

I mean i have this 'vision' of what the finished bike should look like ... but put new decals on an old frame's paint  - mortifying ...?  :laugh: ..lol

Offline Banachek

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 11:20 AM »
That 84 Lug only came in white & with the red & black decals that are on it. Defo keep it white bro.
The colours came in out in mid 85, which is a total other frame, Dizz rode the 85 frame up till 87/88.
IMO if you want to use colour I'd do it with parts, not with the F&F.

BTW - Scotty B can get the caps for your fork pegs - good luck bro
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:40 AM by Banachek »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:45 PM »
THANK you SO MUCH for the hints, Mike!! I think it really needs the caps to really finish it, so I'll drop Scotty a pm once i've found some of the main parts and bits I'm looking for at the moment. And you're right about white, that first pic of yours is pretty much what i was thinking of. To be precise: ..pretty much like i've seen the bike the first time in a pic that burnt itself deep into my head right away. It had purple or dark blue or maybe black decals, and i think the fork decals also on the frame .... also small and slightly different "California Freestyler" decals on the top tube. - So I'll have to find out f.ex if I could just get two sets of purple sets (two because of the extra fork set), or if should/could get a complete set of that setup made. - First i'm looking for the main 'hardware' that i'm missing at the mo anyway. So far I got the mags, some white dc copy cables (till i find real ones), also waiting for some silver dx's and a 175 sugino opc to arrive (i'd have to restore both, i guess..., but not too much ..lol). - Enjoying your RL thread greatly, my bike just told me it wished I had your skils  :-[  :D

Lemme see if i can get hold of some pics of the bike i'm after - i'm no perfectionist, but that would be the one i'd like to land close to. I can't afford a cw disc, so i'll go for smth similar etc... Or: once i've found out what stem it has, i'll also probably find out that i will have to go for smth a little less steep. ....approximation step by step, but i'm a bloody amateur, to say it nicely, so this will take a while to take any shape....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:47 PM by fischflo »

Offline Banachek

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, but my resto skill aint all that, just know people with skills :daumenhoch:
In the Roger Worsham pic, your right he uses the CW fork decals & the small Cali freestyle bar sticker. I'm 95% sure these decals would be the red & black ones.
The early 85 models introduced the lavender decals along with the existing red & black ones.

If your on Facebook check out the CW page, also you can see Nick Swan's nice CW collection :4_17_5:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:11 AM »
i' talking about a pic i saw that vader posted on vintage .. ages ago, i can't log on to there; i really wish they could sort that problem out, as i have a soft spot for that site... Anyway, i have that pic on another computer, but i  can't access that for a week time. On that pic there is this bike, i guess it's not a retail version, and it has either black, dark navy blue ( :smitten:), or ...purple decals. Although i'm beginning to doubt the purple. - So must've been some photo-shoot special.

Got the grips now and some other parts in the visor .. like some repop white rear mx 1000 or the tange clamp you see in the pic of the ad you posted - but for silly cash. Also might have found a stem - the original seems to have been a six-bolt cw one, but ... yeah right  :P

oh, and 'proficiency' is what she actually said, i just couldn't understand it ... cause of her squshed pronounciation:
          ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:43 AM by fischflo »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 10:56 PM »
ha ha .. bucket page 9 ; dramatically incorrect to post this, but what the heck, do it anyway...

courtesy donvader

...lol  .. ...lol .. still can't believe my luck, really.  :D .... Now let's see how close i'll get to it. If i'd had it stripped etc, in order to find out where to have all those jobs done.., i guess i'd have to hang out at some german bmx sites, with all the fookin krauts  ...lol :crazy2: ;D

Any ideas on what tyres i could use?

Offline Banachek

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Wow, never seen that pic, its badged up like in the RW pic too.
I'd deffo go down this route 8)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 11:50 PM »
Cheers, Mike  8)    - ...iwas hoping you'd be saying that   
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:44 AM by fischflo »

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07 AM »
don't bling your parts up too much or you'll be stripping & powdering before you know it  ;D
how's the splodging coming on ???  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 12:15 AM »
haven't come round to it yet - but that's what i'll try first anyway, lazy lizard that i am  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  strange but gorgeous cw find

gfxgfx
gfx gfx