gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 25, 2024, 07:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are technical tricks killing style ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are technical tricks killing style ?  (Read 5386 times)

stuartD

Are technical tricks killing style ?
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:25 AM »
I took my youngest lad (and his scooter - sorry) to Creation in Birmingham on Sunday afternoon, fortunately I left my own bike in the car as it was mobbed.
Whilst supervising said small child it gave me the opportunity to sit back and watch all the other riders. It struck me that many were on a mission to pull the latest whip combo tricks , it all looked a bit rushed and messy , the were however a couple of young were lads boosting big airs out of the quarters and slow flowing 360's over boxes which looked very very stylish and cool..

so the question is , am I just getting old or is the style being forgotten to make way for the technical content in riding ?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Are technical tricks killing style ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I think technical stuff is very stylish, you just have to look at riders like S&MAlex and see that.  totally agree with the tailwhips though, just think they look rushed and dodgy  :daumenhoch:

TheGuvnor

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Yes i think your right, my mate at work his son is very good on a scooter :daumenhoch: (i try n find the you tube vid) but all he goes on about is trying to land a double tailwhip..

Tech is very good but if you not got style (your own and not borrowed!).. if does not look right.

Guv

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:02 PM »
You're absolutely right.

Only a select few can combine the two.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 06:06 PM »
style went out the window with all black motorbike tyres  :-X
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

lodge

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Very good topic, riders that spring to mind for me are Chase Hawk, Tommy Dugan , they only do a few moves such as 3's, tables but they have such flow and style I would much rather watch them ride than the x-games winning run, some people dont get them and think their overated but its more bmx to me than contest tricks will ever be.
Dont get me wrong I have the utmost respect for the tech contest riders and how difficult it is ,but I would rather see chase hawk ride a concrete park doing basic airs in a relaxed non contest setting any day.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:06 PM »
One trick can end this argument. The tabletop.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Mike Aitken.
/>

Beanies/baseball hats comin off on every trick are killing style...BRUNO FOOKIN HOFFMAN :tickedoff:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

madmike-bmx

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00 PM »
when did bmx mean bitch moan x-something or other....

what happened to having a laugh , doing what YOU want and not not worrying what others are doing or think?

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Mike Aitken.
/>

ohMaGawd.

ILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL  :crazy2:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

oldschool rider

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 03:57 PM »
StuartD sadly we are getting old mate !!!

I also feel that with the Internet kids want to run before they can walk for example we would look at a magazine and see Tabletops, can-cans etc and we would try and copy our Idols on our own homemade ramps, Today kids see Tailwhips and barspins and they want to copy their Idols. There will always be stylish riders eg Chase, Dugan, Young, Aitken, Alcantara etc but style comes from constant practice and a TRUE love of the sport (Not because it's fashionable)I wonder how many of the so called RAD newschoolers will be riding in 10 years when the FAD has died down again.

Also as commented before all the beanie wearin, pant saggin, brakeless, black tyre ridin dudes don't help either, I am happy that tanwalls are coming back and also kids are starting to put some colour on their bikes, Black is ok but not all black and everybody the same is just Boooooooring. I'm not a great lover of Aaron Ross but atleast his bike is colourfull and different.

Freestyle is about expression and maybe because life is hard just now thats the reason for all the blackness :)

Bring back shiny Uniforms and colourful bikes in 2012

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

oldschool rider

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 04:14 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Of course i was refering to nice Haro ones dude !!!!

theRuler

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I'd hit it

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Some style here  Not a valid vimeo URL

elevensies

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 10:07 AM »
at my trails the local kids just want the flip tricks, the whip tricks, and the flip whip fecking tricks, and they all look messy....yes pulled and dialled, but messy,

i throw in a taboggan to over xup, and im stoked to hell, yet no one notices.

smoothness and style rule, not chuck as much in as possible.

theRuler

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31 AM »
i throw in a taboggan to over xup, and im stoked to hell, yet no one notices.

Whips and the like are harder, but nothing beats the look of an over-x.

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Love the technical stuff, but you need to watch it in slow motion to appreciate what they are doing sometimes.
Style is easier to watch and can't really be learned. You've either got it, or you haven't.

I'd be happy to have either.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:59 AM by Julian347 »

stuartD

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 03:21 PM »
A couple of my eldest lads mates are hell bent on whips and flips but need to spend more time just learning how to be in the air in my opinion. they watch the web edits and drool over them yet when I throw a table top of one of my ramps in the street they stand there jaws open wondering what the hell I'm doing  (or possibly thinking what thier mates dad is doing behaving like a teen ager)..

I suppose I'll always love big air, flowing tables, 360's ,turndowns and smothness and flow.. I think you're right I'm just getting old. :'(

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Different styles of riding is cool ,, mixes it all up

Then we can all watch and choose different or both  ,  :daumenhoch:

Parks definately gone  more and more down the tech route in the last 4 or 5 years

Absolutely love watching Chris Doyle ,Mke  Aitken Chase Hawk and Kye Forte they are the kings of style and  flow  8)

but

Enarson , Webb, Banasiewich and Main are equally as pleasing to watch and appreciate  :4_17_5:

Evolution in  sport is essential and respect to those who push the boundaries  :angel:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:48 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I think the bike colour thing is indicative of the style of riding today. Plenty of substance but little flair or showmanship.
The 80's were all about excess and that was reflected in the bikes and the riding. Can you imagine anyone down a park these days on a bright pink or turquoise bike (besides me  ;D )

I have nothing but respect and admiration for some of the skill you see today but the flair will not return, if ever, until there is another boom of expression like we saw in the 80's
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Can you imagine anyone down a park these days on a bright pink or turquoise bike (besides me  ;D )

/>

Put your sunglasses on   :shocked:

All 2012 bikes straight out of the box  :)

dan-dare

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Different styles of riding is cool ,, mixes it all up

Evolution in  sport is essential and respect to those who push the boundaries  :angel:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 07:32 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) Thankyou ,Adolfo  :knuppel2:

It didn't take much to push my boundaries to far  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

JT71

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 09:04 AM »
its not that they are too technical, it's that they are trying to rush in as many tricks in a combo and it looks messy.
but it appears to be what judges at comps like to see, so (some of) the pros do it, so the kids do it too.

in my opinion that's just not nice to watch, I'd rather see just one trick done really nice, than 3 jammed in.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are technical tricks killing style ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx