gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 01:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What a site...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What a site...  (Read 2255 times)

Rich

What a site...
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Hi all,

Can't believe I found this site? Was reminiscing about my old BMXing days & decided to look it up on tinterweb & here I am! I was a member of the Wordsley Warriors from 1984 to 1987 & toured most of the country BMXing!

I won the West Midlands Championships in my first season of racing in 1984 & was 2nd in the British Championships in Derby in 1985 in the U7's class! Came 2nd to David Maw but it could be forgiven as he won everything!

Used to ride a Redline in the good old days! Moved to Bournemouth in 1988 & gave up racing to concentrate on playing football (what a mistake that was) just before they moved the British Championships to my new local track at Iford in Bournemouth!

Used to race at places like Birmingham Wheels, Cocksmoors, Malvern Hillbillies, Banbury X-ups, Leamington Spa & loads of others that I can't remember......

Used to knock around with Nick Gill & Emma Crew at Wordsley if anyone remembers them?

Are there any other old Wordsley Warriors out there? Biggest club in the country at the time!

Look back with fond memories......

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: What a site...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 04:16 PM »
welcome on board hope u enjoy the site dan. :daumenhoch:

jon016847

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Welcome , I also raced the same clubs as you,.  I was originally a member of Redditch Prmeiers and then Malvern Hillbillies !!

However I was 13 in 1985  So a differnt age group

Welcome !!

glov

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:31 PM »
welcome dude i used to race all the tracks in the midlands bitd
bit olderb than you
thinkn i used to fancy emma crew LOL

JAMIE

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 04:40 PM »
Welcome aboard matey, i'll have a bud ;)

DR VINOAH

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Welcome aboard matey, i'll have a bud ;)

ill also have a bud ,but wrapped in a philly :daumenhoch:

and welcome :4_17_5:

Bobby GHP

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:33 PM »
Warning! This old school 'thing' is very expensive, unless you like Burners. LOL

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:36 PM »
took your time ....where you been....you havent a clue what youve missed have you.
now get a new shool bike to ride, and old school bike to show, and come to some of the gatherings, before you know it you will be in the inner circle(always bring cake to win friends)

welcome fella, enjoy the site.....now get the virtual beers in you tight wad

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Warning! This old school 'thing' is very expensive, unless you like Burners. LOL

Oh yes... these were very cheap to build...  ::)

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:46 PM »
dude needs a redline first

welcome to radbmx rich
if you're at the bar i'll have a triple vodka

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 07:12 PM »
 like a beacon is Rad  ;D
Welcome in Fella , good stuff, your bound to meet others who raced those tracks.
and as your at the bar mines a JD and coke please , with a slice a lime and plenty of ice

And whatever you want to build is gonna cost ya lol

Rich :)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 08:22 PM »
hello.
I want to touch ORB

Bobby GHP

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Knew I would get a rise. I love that Ultra. I have one on my wants list, but don't tell anyone. ;)

se

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 07:58 AM »
Rich - I was a Wordsley Warrior in 85-86 but also with Malvern Rebel Force and a lazy sod so didn't get to too many of the Wordsley races and did UXBMX rather than NBMXA. I bet my brother remembers Nick Gill because his name is Nick Earl and commentators always seemed to get them mixed up - pretty handy as Mr Gill always seemed to be in front! Names I vaguely remember from my age group were Mark Perks, Lee Pickstone (a bit fast that boy), Chris Bennett (think he raced for Banbury actually), Neil Matthews (his dad ran the start gate and had a voice like a Woodbines addict). Wordsley was a great track, fast as fxxk all the way to the finish and the only problem was stopping for the cones - I think most people ended up overshooting them.

Rich

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I remember Mark Perks even though he was around my brothers age who also used to be a Wordsley Warrior. Remember seeing Mark Perks still riding when I went & watched the British Champs at Bournemouth in the early 90's. Nick Gill and Emma Crew used to be family friends & it was Emma that got us into BMXing in the first place.

Used to race people like Daniel Head & Steven Shaw in my age group at Wordsley & remember the track fondly. The Killers after the last berm were always the ones, had a few wipeouts on those over the years!

Been thinking about the tracks I used to race over the last few days, Redditch (which I'm sure had a water jump?), Norton Canes, & remember going to a Pontins Weekender in Southport or somewhere like that where I came second & got Andy Ruffell, Geth Shooter & Tim March's autographs on the bottom of my trophy which I still have in good condition today!

What other tracks were there around the Midlands? Anyone remember any others? Seem to be remember Cheltenham having a good track & winning there a few times.....

jon016847

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 04:34 PM »
Here are the ones that spring to mind for me

Cheltenham
Gloucester Robbins
Warndon
Bromsgorove
Redditch
Leomington Spa
Herefordshire
Banbury Cross ups
Malvern Hillbillies
Malvern Rebel Force
Coxmoore
Chelmsley Wood
Senleys Park
Perry Park
Birmingham Wheels
Wordsley
Indoor at wolverhampton  (Can't remeber what it was called)  it was at the equestrian centre ?

Any missing ?

se

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 05:39 PM »
Warndon! That one should have been on the thread about pikey places to build tracks!

Other Midlands gems:

Ludlow (shxte)
Wodens Wheels (was that the Wolverhampton one?)
Hereford (build on top of an old skatepark)
Tamworth (national there in '86, probably other years too)
Was there one at Telford too?

Rich I went to Pontins in '83. Six lane track and all the wooden jumps with griptape on them. Those were great events though.

I liked the Cheltenham track actually as it didn't need too much skill and you just had to pedal like a maniac.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What a site...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx