gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975756 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 05:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro FST
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro FST  (Read 9848 times)

frostey

Haro FST
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Well guys, finally got my frame through the post and a set of old UK made skyways.  I know its not up to a lot of your standards as far as builds go but I am looking forward to getting it finished and riding it.

What brakes and other options do you guys recommend?
I can see its going to become very expensive!

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Haro FST
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11 AM »
hello mate, decide on a colour firstly that you want everything :daumenhoch: it will look awesome in the end matey. i think white brakes to go with the tuffs but its all personal choice. i suppose an fs880/880 combo of a fs880/901 combo would be your best bet as if you potts mod the front brake ( cable runs through a hollow stem bolt ) you could spin the bars without the 901's calpier arm hitting the frame. regular 901's would also look nice though and if you aint into bar spinning would be a cheaper option

have a look in the museum at other similar bikes to get an idea for what you think looks best :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:12 AM by Brummie »

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I Love FST's... here's one of my olds ones, it might give you an idea of colours....

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 12:45 PM »
vastly underated bikes. I love an fst.

frostey

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I think mine will end up looking very simlar to your old one Del.  In fact any chance of a sticker kit like the one on our old bike.....I am not too keen on the Master ones on it at present.

Having a little help getting the bits so hopefully it will be finished soon....its going to be a rider as well so I cant wait!

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:04 PM »
That will build into a very nice rider mate  :daumenhoch:

Brakewise, as Dave suggested 880's  ???

Keep the thread updated with pics as you progress mate  ;)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

frostey

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:23 PM »
Well, I am afraid I went the easy/cheap option with the brakes and bought some nice white dc 901's off Brummie.

Crank and headset next I think :-)

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:32 PM »
A couple i have had over the years. Pretty certain DC 890@s were stock on fst's but 880 were a better brake.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:00 AM »
There's a few BMX Adverts that really stand out in my memory as a kid, and the pic on the back of BMX Plus with Brian Blyther blasting out a skatepark on one of these is red is probably the most memorable, along with Fiola with an electric blue Pro Performer and R L Osborn with his Prostyler.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 06:41 PM »

love em...

gashead now owns this one....

Dave
haro, how do you do

frostey

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Well guys, I got a headset fitted.  A cheap stem inistalled which will be replaced in the future when a nice one becomes available.  I have two cranks from ebay which I intend to make one good one from and a Tange BB, got some white 901 brakes and a genuine set of CW bars on the way.

Not I need to decide on tyres (colour and style), then try to locate a white seat and decent layback seat stem then I am pretty much there :-)

Any ideas on the tyres guys?  As I am going to ride it I have been advised and agree that white wont be too clever, although I think they will look great.

PS:- I wont using the £3 shimano chainring and crank shown as I have a nice Sugino spider on the way.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Love the FST's regret selling mine  :-\ what's that stem you've got on there?

frostey

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Not sure what the stem is to be honest, just a cheap £5 one I picked up from ebay to get me up and running!

MULL

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Looks like thats gonna turn into a really nice build that mate. Nice to hear your gonna ride it aswell....after all...thats what they were designed for!

tuff boy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 02:03 PM »
Love my fst i do

:daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:05 PM by tuff boy »

frostey

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 05:30 PM »
That looks very similar to how I want mine to come out, with the exception of bars and brakes its pretty much the same :-)

Very nice.

DJ

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:35 PM »
wish id never sold my fst  :'(

frostey

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Well guys, its getting nearer completion, just need the tyres then the proper bolt together.

Still cant find or decide on the right tyres for it though :-(

I know its probably not to everyones taste and a few bits are probably wrong, but its my first build and a rider so I am not too bothered at the moment and pretty happy how its turned out so far....thanks to Brummie and everyone else  for help so far ;-)

I have spent a small fortune on it already though :-(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:34 PM by frostey »

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Nice ride mate, not era corerct but a set of odyssey barefeet would look ok on that without costing to much! :daumenhoch:

frostey

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Cheers, I will have a look into a set.

I need to get the anodising off the chain ring yet as well as the black doesnt look right to me, then again with some black tyres it may look better.  But its the CWs that I am most unsure of.

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16 PM »
looking at it i think blue tanwalls would look great on this build :daumenhoch:

frostey

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I agree, I was looking for a set of blue ones, problem is i dont want to spend a fortune on them....if I can help it.

Any suggestions on makes etc to look out for and best place to buy (or is it just ebay)?

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Nice ride mate, not era corerct but a set of odyssey barefeet would look ok on that without costing to much! :daumenhoch:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260589555352&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25 PM »
i think Alans still sell em for £10 each  :daumenhoch:

frostey

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Cheers guys, found them for just under £9 each, probably going to go for them as I cant find any blue ones for anywhere near that price. ???

For that money I cant go wrong...can I?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Haro FST

gfxgfx
gfx gfx