gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975610 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 20, 2024, 04:02 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New Skool Brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Skool Brakes  (Read 2366 times)

adam68

New Skool Brakes
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:48 PM »
Help

Finishing of my first new skool build and not sure about the brakes. They dont seam to be advertised front and rear, can they be used for both (have the parts for both when you by them) or do most companys just do rear?? :) Also which would u go for???

Cheers Adam

magna13

Re: New Skool Brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:11 PM »
the brake i use and always will is an Dia-Compe AD990. in my opinion the best brake for it. plus they're dead cheap :daumenhoch:

gobshite

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Help

Finishing of my first new skool build and not sure about the brakes. They dont seam to be advertised front and rear, can they be used for both (have the parts for both when you by them) or do most companys just do rear?? :) Also which would u go for???

Cheers Adam

just check the arms arent angled,  they wont work on the front!

you need a diatech ad999 brake tbh :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:57 PM »
I agree with joe.....I run an AD999 on the rear and its superb!

If funds are tight then a Ditech Hombre can't be beaten at about £12 each

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:02 PM »
most brakes are universal, fly bikes are the exception though, they have 3 types, chainstay, seatstay and suelo which is for the front

gobshite

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47 PM »

If funds are tight then a Ditech Hombre can't be beaten at about £12 each

its the mx1000 for the mid and new schools :smitten:

evamedia

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:17 AM »
most brakes are universal, fly bikes are the exception though, they have 3 types, chainstay, seatstay and suelo which is for the front

Don't believe the hype, unless the lugs are angled CS and SS specific brakes make no difference at all

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:31 AM »
as u say they do work on seatstay and chainstay lugs but it does make a slight difference as when i took my fly chainstay brake off my old s&m laf and put it onto my seatstay s&m blackbike i noticed that where the inner cable comes out of the outer cable and through the adjuster due to the angle of the brake the cable rubbed alot on the bottom of the exit hole of the adjuster, the brake worked just as good as it did before but the pull wasnt as smooth  was easliy fixed by using a cable tie to lift the cable hanger up slightly so it no longer rubbed :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I've just bought some new ones for my new bike.  I wanted some with built in pivots that don't have bearing surfaces that run on the frame. Shop I visited had some £9 Blank ones. Put them on and they seem OK.
Another problem I have got is how the cables fit and I needed a front style one with the adjuster and clamp on rather then the cable loop type for the rear.

I have only ridden it up the road a bit but they seem ok and the are flex free enough to hold my weight.

Voodoocars

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I've had 2 dia compe hombre brakes.The first one snapped and the second was cast wrong and the arms fouled each other when on the bike- took a lot of filling to get it to fit. I now run a Salt brake off a wtp bike which has better springs and adjustment.

motomagII

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52 PM »
ive poretty much had most brakes and to be honest there is very little in aqny if they are set up right .i always liked the fly one though as it was very easy to fit and set up and low stack height for small rings
ad990 hombre was good but took lot of esetting up once right was as good as any

adam68

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Cheers all... :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:
Will start ordering... :)

lodge

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 07:03 PM »
I have a Fly and a AD999 on my bike and I would take the AD999 any day over the Fly, the Fly's are not snug on the lugs,at first I thought the bushes were worn but I checked a few others one being brand new and they all slopped around on the lugs, thats not good for a brake that retails at 70 notes.

This has got to be the bmx bargain of the year: http://www.bmxcity.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1953&osCsid=06r1j8mvppej1e87eoh60n5hs4

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 07:08 PM »
That is a sweet deal.  I have a 999 on the back of my bike, it's a treat   :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 07:31 PM »
one word of caution, on my dirt bike with the rear wheel slammed you can't just use any brake.

the EVoII and 990 both dont fit, there's not enough clearance between brake arms and tyre, and it's only a 1.9 tyre. the Revenge brake i have is fine, the fly one would give heaps of clearance.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 10:03 AM »
As my new build I have tried to got with all up to date new stuff, so I bought the hot off the press bicycle union brakes as the polish is awesome and they really look the part. Sadly that is all they are good for. Forget them as a front as they hot the steerer tube. But the biggest problem was the right hand arm won't sit freely on the lug. Tried on frame and forks, both brakesets were the same. Needless to say they have been taken back. So I've got a set of hombre's to keep me going as I know these work fine and are probably about the easiest brake to set up. My new ride looks fookin rad by the way! Pics up later! 

adam68

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 10:27 AM »
As my new build I have tried to got with all up to date new stuff, so I bought the hot off the press bicycle union brakes as the polish is awesome and they really look the part. Sadly that is all they are good for. Forget them as a front as they hot the steerer tube. But the biggest problem was the right hand arm won't sit freely on the lug. Tried on frame and forks, both brakesets were the same. Needless to say they have been taken back. So I've got a set of hombre's to keep me going as I know these work fine and are probably about the easiest brake to set up. My new ride looks fookin rad by the way! Pics up later! 

Yer i went with Hombre's in the end, just need to get some soft pads and will be good to go :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

oldschool rider

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 04:08 PM »
I Run a Demolition Vulcan on the chainstays & a DC Hombre on the front. The Vulcan is fookin unbelievable and the hombre is not too bad but think I'll change it for another Demolition when funds permit.

Steve :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  New Skool Brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx