gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975655 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 08, 2024, 08:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  what has been your biggest mistake when building a bike
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: what has been your biggest mistake when building a bike  (Read 1478 times)

neiljonarcus

what has been your biggest mistake when building a bike
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:28 AM »
i have made a canny few    """"""""""   might help some of us as a dont do this when building bikes"""""""""""""""

1  cutting the spokes out of a wheel before take the freewheel off

2  dirty hands when putting clear vynl decals on

3  putting the chainring on the wrong side of the spider

4  putting the sealed bearing in the wrong way in the  BB    :-[

JT71

Re: what has been your biggest mistake when building a bike
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24 AM »
whacking the top headset cup into my NOS Haro Sport frame and the Gryo bit chipping the top tube paint.

neon lime, i tried loads of model paints and nail vernishes and never got close to matching it.

Also fitted tech II copies to Burner build once, they were minging.

neiljonarcus

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07 AM »
yeah i also fitted the head set cups and bottom bracket cups to a newly painted frame without sanding the iside of the frame 1st
 NICE BIG CHIPS

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08 AM »
whacking the top headset cup into my NOS Haro Sport frame and the Gryo bit chipping the top tube paint.

neon lime, i tried loads of model paints and nail vernishes and never got close to matching it.

joe if you can get hold of some neon lime powder and mix it will a drop of clear nail varnish, jobs a good un.

my local powdercoater told me and my mate to do this on his bike and worked a treat.

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14 AM »
yeah i also fitted the head set cups and bottom bracket cups to a newly painted frame without sanding the iside of the frame 1st
 NICE BIG CHIPS

good tip, just with a bit of wet and dry?

i tried to pull of my old decals and thought they were coming off a treat until I noticed a big lump of powder missing  :'(  :idiot2:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:18 AM »

joe if you can get hold of some neon lime powder and mix it will a drop of clear nail varnish, jobs a good un.

my local powdercoater told me and my mate to do this on his bike and worked a treat.

i guess that would work with any powder colour? would unscented white talc work do you reckon?? I have a few powder chips on a white frame that need a touch up? cheers

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Easy, back in 2003 when i was brand new i jumped on some Redline twin pinch for £180, i thought i had a bargain  :LolLolLolLol:

SOUTHBANK BOY

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:00 AM »
starting in the frist place :knuppel2:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06 AM »
 :) Not a biggy,but built up a Retro Ripper for my son a few months back.Had it almost done,just the chainring to fit.Then found I had a 110 BCD spider & a 130 BCD ring...I swore just a little bit :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:09 AM »
showing the finished result :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

dct

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11 AM »
having my ET Kuwahara on display at MK 06 and casually mentioning to jazzchump and fat pete that the pedals were a nightmare to fit - i had managed somehow to get a lh thread pedal wound up tight on rh crank arm
watching them pair of gimps trying to sort it out for 40 minutes

somewhat embarassed :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

xGoose

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:21 AM »
massivley overpaying for parts when i got started at the beginning of the year

panic buying knock off or 'thatll do' parts. be patient the stuff always comes along

check sizes, bought a couple of real nice tange and hatta headset but they were too small, an inch i think. dunno what bike they even go on?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Washed a perfectly good old school Ammaco padset as it was grubby, all of the print came off, was £30 down the drain instantly :idiot2:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25 AM »

Sprayed a stem in work - felt touch dry at the end of the day, so wrapped it in paper an took it home - when I got home the paper was stuck fast to the stem  :-[

Tried pealing it of and it just left all sorts of tiny bits of ripped paper all over the stem  :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

xGoose

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:33 AM »

Sprayed a stem in work - felt touch dry at the end of the day, so wrapped it in paper an took it home - when I got home the paper was stuck fast to the stem  :-[

Tried pealing it of and it just left all sorts of tiny bits of ripped paper all over the stem  :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: That really b0ll0xes up your day dunnit (specially if its the final piece of a build youd been working on for months!)  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 11:36 AM »
:LolLolLolLol: That really b0ll0xes up your day dunnit (specially if its the final piece of a build youd been working on for months!)  :LolLolLolLol:

Luckily it was just for a rider (my red n white supergoose) but still a daft mistake that p!ssed me off  :-[ >:(

Had to strip it and do it again  :uglystupid2: :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55 AM »
In 1984 I built my brand new white Sport. I built most of it upside down so didnt notice the cranks were on the wrong side. When I turned the bike over and tried to pedal I just freewheeled, untill the (hand tight) freewheel unscrewed and gouged into the inside of the dropout!!!!

neiljonarcus

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 12:34 PM »
In 1984 I built my brand new white Sport. I built most of it upside down so didnt notice the cranks were on the wrong side. When I turned the bike over and tried to pedal I just freewheeled, untill the (hand tight) freewheel unscrewed and gouged into the inside of the dropout!!!!

sorry but i had a little  :2funny:  . i can see what you had done , thats summit i would do   :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 12:49 PM »
sorry but i had a little  :2funny:  . i can see what you had done , thats summit i would do   :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:

JT71

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 03:11 PM »
been there done that too Alex, also put loose bearings in cages in the wrong way around. ooops.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49 PM »

been there done that too Alex, also put loose bearings in cages in the wrong way around. ooops.

Sh!t forgot about that - yeah I crushed a bearing cage by plopping it in the wrong way round when I built my cali  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50 PM »

i used to do that to all the bikes in the shop i worked in as it stopped all the kids nicking the bikes
was well funny watching em trying to ride off

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 06:24 PM »
having my ET Kuwahara on display at MK 06 and casually mentioning to jazzchump and fat pete that the pedals were a nightmare to fit - i had managed somehow to get a lh thread pedal wound up tight on rh crank arm
watching them pair of gimps trying to sort it out for 40 minutes

somewhat embarassed :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

was a special moment........do miss carl

lk_97

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:02 PM »
lettin my older bro near my frame, hes made a chip in it an nearly bent it aswel, it hasnt even been built up yet!

QUADANGLE-FREESTYLE

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 07:09 PM »
To rush it, as once i start a new build i want it done and dusted the same day.  ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  what has been your biggest mistake when building a bike

gfxgfx
gfx gfx