gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  drop out savers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: drop out savers  (Read 1252 times)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
drop out savers
« on: October 30, 2009, 08:50 AM »
as a newbie on here i have been looking back through pages of stuff that i have missed through not being here from the beginning and have seen some stunning restos.
 one thing i noticed though was the use of oval type dropout savers on many looptail rippers, these are not something i remember from bitd, the savers i remember that came with LTRs were large black washers, one of which had a raised portion to fit inside the dropout.
is there any reason why these original type savers are not used?

andy
ps this is not a dig at the fine restos out there, just curious thats all
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:31 AM by 58delray »

thecrooch

Re: drop out savers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57 AM »
http://www.helixbmx.net/dropouts.htm

whether these are better or not i dont know, but you can buy direct and he ships quickly.

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:32 AM »
http://www.helixbmx.net/dropouts.htm

whether these are better or not i dont know, but you can buy direct and he ships quickly.
not after any mate, just curious thats all,

andy

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:54 PM »
i would imagine that people use those long saver to cover up damage already done to the dropouts. I personally do as much work as I can to get dropouts on my builds looking mint then just use nylon washers instead. Personally I don't like to look of those long dropout savers!

J

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:40 PM »
as john says, to cover up damage drop outs or as in my case, protect the paint and alloy, the thick alloy can easily crush when tightened...

R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

trasher

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:44 PM »
i use them on my ripper ,,for riding ,,you cant tighten up the nylon washer enough for riding ,and because the rippers alloy then the savers save the dropouts

personally i like them on rippers  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22 PM »
I have a PK Ripper XL that I want to use for riding and I want to use Chain tensioners!!

It looks like I have to use the drop out savers on the rear to pad the axle. I have two Washers with the insert (like a top hat). 

How can I use chain tensioners with them?

Ideally I'd like to get the washers on the inside of the frame to allow the chaintensioners to be used on the outside (but I dont think that will be possible)!!

Do you see what I mean?

I haven't build it yet and it is a later model OS legal Ripper but it looks similar to the piccys.

So how do I pad the axle and use chain tensioners?  ???

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:04 PM »
 :) Won`t the chain tensioners protect the frame,especially if you use alloy ones?

moley

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01 AM »
:) Won`t the chain tensioners protect the frame,especially if you use alloy ones?

Yeah but isn't the axle smaller in diameter than the dropout.

I've never had a PK before but I thought thats why the dropout savers are tophats, so that they fill the gap!!

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 08:23 AM »
think they are top hats to keep the wheel central, other wise the narrow guage axle has a lot of play, i used chain tensioners on my pibull ripper but has to be the first washer and the narrow washer that comes with the chain tensioner digs into the frame, i never tried using top hats but think with all these washer you wont have room to put the nut on, besides the top hat washers also have a very narrow washer part that damages the frame...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  drop out savers

gfxgfx
gfx gfx