gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Internal spacer for Redline 401's - length?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Internal spacer for Redline 401's - length?  (Read 626 times)

funkwit

Internal spacer for Redline 401's - length?
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Hi all, can you advise?

I'm installing some 401's (American BB with sealed bearings), but when I received the crankset, it didn't have an internal spacer included. I'm trying to track one down, but what length should it be? And would a Profile gold spacer do the job? I see you can buy them on various websites but none of them actually tell you the length and I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Any advice appreciated - thanks fellas.
Marc

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Internal spacer for Redline 401's - length?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Different sizes to suit different BB shells mate.

I believe there's an imperial and metric variance.  Measure your BB width overall and then post that up, someone will have your answer for you  :)

funkwit

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Different sizes to suit different BB shells mate.

I believe there's an imperial and metric variance.  Measure your BB width overall and then post that up, someone will have your answer for you  :)

Cheers mate. The exact width of the BB is 6.7cm (1983 GT Pro)....

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:11 PM »
you will need one approx 58mm long. I have one here that is 59mm which you could file a mm off.

pm me if you want it

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Bosh!!!  Sorted   :daumenhoch:

You can actually use a slightly longer spacer with no problems. What happens is one bearing cup sits ever so slightly proud of the BB shell, which in itself isn't a problem. At least that way you're guaranteed not to be putting any incorrect load on the bearings when you tighten everything up.

funkwit

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated - Kuwahero YGM.

moley

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Bosh!!!  Sorted   :daumenhoch:

You can actually use a slightly longer spacer with no problems. What happens is one bearing cup sits ever so slightly proud of the BB shell, which in itself isn't a problem. At least that way you're guaranteed not to be putting any incorrect load on the bearings when you tighten everything up.

Profiles are the same.   Always have your Sprocket side BB flush to the Shell.  And the other side will be around 1mm off the shell.   No Crushed bearings and no play.  Everything is A OK.  Spin a treat!!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Internal spacer for Redline 401's - length?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx