gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*  (Read 931 times)

greentoad

Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*
« on: March 11, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Hi all

I need to get a sprocket off (but also must be able to re-use it) so that I can strip and clean a wheel. I remember the days of using a socket with nipples, or if in dire straights a screwdriver and hammer  :'(, however I need to be able to re-use this sprocket and don't want to damage it in any way.

I have no tools like this anymore.

The sprocket that has 2 small holes, centre to centre is 4 cms.

Can I use a Chain Whip? or do I need a socket?

Any help please ASAP.

Thanks

J.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 05:47 PM by greentoad »

gmac

Re: Sprocket Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 11:48 AM »
You need a sprocket removal tool. Biagio has them, and they're always on the bay.  :daumenhoch:

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:28 PM »
if you need it fast, go to your local bike shop and buy one, or get him to do it if you are a novice ;)

greentoad

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Hi all

I have searched the bay and also visited a few shops, but they have dozens and nothing that fits.

The only way to get it off is by using the spanner with 2 small circular prongs 4cm apart, there is no other recesses etc.

Apparentley this sprocket is rather old (so that's a good thing for the bike), but I don't know how to get it off unless I have a tool especially made up.

Any help? or i'll have to get a tool made by an engineering company  :'(

Pics tomorrow

Cheers

J

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:23 PM »
1- freewhell in the vice
2- Tighten the feck out of it and crush it.
3- Twist wheel so the freewheel comes off
4- Buy a new one :)

greentoad

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Hehehehe

This is a totally original bike  :'(

It is mint and was gonna be at the show n shine as a totally original specimen.

It is a real peach but I don't want to damage anything or replace any items. Buying is too easy. The chain took me hours to clean and so far I have spent 30+ hours and £0.00

Am I mad???

J.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 11:42 PM »
i do the same, but sometimes, needs must mate :)

i never spend money, its bad for you.

greentoad

Re: Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Hi all.

So I live near Cambridge, have spent two days driving around various towns trying to buy a tool, or find a cycle shop that has a tool to get this sprocket off, and getting pretty pi$$ed off in the process about such a simple problem.

I have tried most local towns and with Cambridge having dozens of cycle shops and after visiting most of them, I thought that i'd try Halfords, but was sure that they would be a wasted journey.

So, in I walk with this dirty rusty old wheel as young kids ride / sit on new shinny bikes as parents check price tags, and I explained the situation to a young-ish lad who thought I was mad and had no ideas......

But after a good chat and explaining again how this freewheel works to another chap the freewheel came off without any damage.  :) and during this time we spoke about BMX, it's bizarre how things happen!

Anyway, he also rode BMX in the early 80's on a Curtis, did quite well, and I'd like to say thanks to Shaun Pearce.

So, if any of you know / remember him, we hopefully will have another old rider back onboard soon as he has the Rad details.

J.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Re: Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 06:48 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Sprocket Removal *Sorted by Shaun Pearce*

gfxgfx
gfx gfx