gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  KUW ET restored, from start to finish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: KUW ET restored, from start to finish  (Read 12079 times)

splodge

KUW ET restored, from start to finish
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:50 AM »
I know after reading on here a few people have done Kuwahara ET restorations. This is my actual bike from Christmas 1983 - I loved that bike more than anything & rode it everywhere, I broke the world record for front wheel hops (at the time the world record was 140 & I did 165) & over the years it was sprayed white, green & finally blue. Theres not many bits that I didnt break & up graded but the frame stayed strong.

Now its 2009 & the poor beast resides in a damp shed feeling abit sorry for its self :(. Time to restore it to its former glory & get it back to its original condition. Heres how I found it 3 months ago in the shed where I left it 10 years ago:

Getting it home:

'Eddies handles'

Skyway spinmaster!

Mushroom II's!

Then down to work, out with the spanners & i was amazed how easily everything came apart. the bearings well still well greased & nothing was a problem. Some bits like the haro tyres had seen better days.

I then began stripping the paint, just using a bit of wet n dry sanding paper & it came off pretty easy

The weld on the tube on the right was actually done by my Gramp at Rolls Royce. He took a break one lunch time & stopped making Tornado engines at Filton to weld a small crack that started to appear,probably the strongest bit of the frame!

After 3 resprays in its life I was surprised to find original red paint:

Back to bare metal & ready for the first undercoat:

First coat:

After completely screwing up the first attempt at the white I decided there was only one thing & that was to start from scratch again. So paint stripper, rubbed down, bare metal, undercoat then white again, second time around & it went beautifully, no runs, good even coat, well happy. I was then on the look out for the right red, as you know its more of a metallic deep cherry.

Bits & bobs kept arriving, I was keeping an eye out for a 44t sugino black chain ring & the elusive Elina Et seat. Seen a couple selling between £70 & £100 & I cant bring my self to pay that for a seat.

... the quest continues...

After a couple of weeks I finally found what looks like the right red, you never can really tell but thought it was near enough. The spray job went perfectly, no runs or drips. Here its just after I sprayed it:

Now drying:

This is of course what we are aiming for, the advert for the bike back in '82.

I ordered a full set of ET stickers (all the way from Oz) & the plan was to then wait for the red to dry in a few days then ill sand it smooth & get a nice even matt finish then stickers & a few coats of lacquer. Let that dry for a couple of weeks then build it!

Some before & after pics:

I finally managed to get the red/white fade fairly good, not perfect by any means but its the best I can do. Stickers arrived from Australia & the blue (soon to be dyed black) genuine ET Elina seat has arrived from America.

I'm happy with the stickers but now I look at it I should have had the 'Kuwahara' on the down tude slightly lower & one of the kuwa's on the forks have a bubble but its ok. Again, best I could do.

Its now lacquered, that went on perfectly, a real deep shine & nice & even, its now in the dining room drying for a couple of weeks. Not the best of pics but here its is:

A shiny new old stock pair of V bars arrived and so when the paint has hardened i'll build it, looking forward to that! :D

Now the lacquer is a few hours dry I cant leave it alone, how can I wait 2 weeks!

Thats it, not touching it now for ages. Another job to do was to dye my beautiful ET Elina seat, all the way from California, its blue & needs to be black. A lot of ET builds have Elina lightning bolt seats but mine had the ET seat, it doesnt have the lightning bolts on the side but ET logos on the side & top.

I followed Waxintaxin guide to dye it so thanks for that, a great help, here goes:

Then simmering for 2 1/2 hours heres the result, before & after

Well happy with the end result, the gold logos stayed exactly the same. Now starting to build it:

Yesterday I started to put it all together & I wanted to get it finished that evening:

Now some of you will think i'm a soft tw#t but as this was my bike from 1983, it really was quite emotional seeing it come together, sliding the crank in, putting the wheels on etc, an odd feeling.

Then completed:

Some before & afters:

And finally!!

Thats it, I'm really happy with how its gone & the final result, I now just need to find a place to hang it up. :D

dan-dare

Re: KUW ET restored, from start to finish
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Fantastic. That looks amazing! :daumenhoch:

martylaa

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59 AM »
well done mate thats a quality build, so lucky to still have your original bike from your childhood, my mam made me sell mine when i got knocked off it, wish i could find it or the same bike again......
p.s how long did you hold the world record for?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Excellent topic, thanks for sharing all the process  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 09:06 AM »

nice work  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Great work mate  :4_17_5: bet your really pleased with that  :daumenhoch:  

It's great having your original bike from BITD . I still have mine   :smitten:  and everytime I look at it the memories come flooding back ........................... happy days   :)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

splodge

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09 AM »
p.s how long did you hold the world record for?  :LolLolLolLol:

;D well me & my mate were watching record breakers when someone did 145, we went straight out & my 'witness' mate counted me to 165. No dout every kid who had a bike went out & did the same but its my claim to fame!  :D

Thanks for the comments chaps  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10 AM »

we like a good step by step resto here

Offline R Al

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Great resto job  :4_17_5: love seeing them back from the dead

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Now that is something special  :4_17_5:  :smitten:

I had exactly the same feeling a few months ago when I restored my original bike from bitd  :daumenhoch:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I always forget to take some photos right at the start of a project - So its great to see those 1st few

Nice work  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02 AM »
 :4_17_5:

modfather

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Great thread this is, loved the step by step process and the outcome well done!  :coolsmiley:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Excellent resto mate! Looks fooking lovely  :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

djgivvinup

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 11:31 AM »
superb  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 11:52 AM »
awesome.

your bike originally, you sourced the parts, you restored them, and you built it.

i think thats a bmx grand slam :D

nice work dude.

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Great story
Great resto

:daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

bigsman

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Yeh lovin it man that's probably the best build you can ever do from a personal point of view...looks brilliant  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevochb

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Thats spot on  :daumenhoch: a real labour of love, you must be over the moon with the way it turned out :4_17_5:

splodge

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys. I've had this bike since new apart from 3 days when it was nicked. My world fell apart when it was stolen about 6 months after Christmas. A few days later I was chatting to a mate who went to a different school than me when he said there was a guy selling an ET Kuw for £40, if someone wants to buy it the go to the fighting cock pub that eve. Well me & another mate rode straight down, luckly on the way I bumped into my Dad who was driving the other way, I flagged him down & got in the car, leaving my mate Lee to take my sisters bike home!

When we got to the pub sure enough there was a group of lads stood around a matt grey (primer) bike, my Dad went straight over & grabbed the bike & checked the frame number.... it was mine!  :D

We just chucked it in the boot of the Cortina & shot off, didnt want to ask any questions, didnt care who nicked it just happy to get it back. I often wonder what i would have done if i didnt meet my Dad, I was 13, these lads were alot older than me, theres no way I would have got it back. As many of you know once a bike it nicked its usually gone for good.

I do feel attached to this bike which made this build feel special.  :smitten:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Heart warming bmx story, with a corker resto to top it off, excellent  :daumenhoch:

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Great story,thanks for sharing and a Top Job there  :daumenhoch:

etriedes

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Awesome story , awesome build, awesome result ....

I hope mine turns out as good as yours splodge  :daumenhoch:

Si

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Great story & pics , top job  :4_17_5:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 01:21 PM »
as said already......superb story and superb resto!!!   blooming gorgeous!!!   :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  KUW ET restored, from start to finish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx