gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 05:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Photos of my wheels!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Photos of my wheels!  (Read 1733 times)

SaMAlex

Photos of my wheels!
« on: September 02, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I got my bike, pretty much complete, about 4 years ago. I have changed a few parts since then but not much. From the moment I got it I wasn’t happy with the wheels. I didn’t like the look of the Hazard lite rims and I didn’t like the extra axle sticking out past the wheel nuts. I mostly run 2 pegs but sometimes use 4, so I can’t cut down the axles.

I really wanted Sun rims cos they are really clean looking, and some hubs with female axles. So a few weeks ago I finally started to look into it. So here it is. After a 4 year wait, my bike with a new wheelset.

I am giving some bigger tires a go; 2.1 Fit FAF on the front, 2.1 Revenge on the back. They are very close to the 1.9 Revenge I was using before, but I think the rim shape can change the size of the tire a little. I might swap the tires round cos the revenge is slightly bigger (and a bit more knobby?) than the FAF.

It seemed like every rear female axled hub had something on it I didn’t like until I found the Eclat hub. Nice and simple looking, 14mm spindle that goes thro the dropouts (not just 10mm bolts with spacers), threadless cones, and a drive that doesn’t fall apart.

I don’t like the Eclat front hub but the ‘We The People’ front hub is a very nice match (they are the same company).

And since I was changing the rear cog, I put a new silver chain on.

Big thanks to General Lee for his help with these, and for his top wheelbuilding.  :daumenhoch:

telelogic

Re: Photos of my wheels!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:13 PM »
how are the female hubs working out with the pegs?

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 01:16 PM »
how are the female hubs working out with the pegs?

Ive not riden it (properly) yet but they went on fine.
I used to use female axle hubs in the 90s and they were always fine.

muttley

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Gotta love an L.A.F...i miss mine :(

Man you cat is nearly as fat as mine   :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:22 PM »
You running a 10mm front with pegs?

Yeah, Ive been using 10mm on the front for a while. The new WTP hub has a larger internal axle (the female bit) but my normal 10mm Vandero axle was fine. And I do like a nice loud toothpick!

magna13

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:14 PM »
 :smitten:

gobshite

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:17 PM »
yes alex,

they look funky :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:22 PM »

the bloody state of that bike alex, does your wife never clean it ?

teamsano

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:21 PM »
love the stenciled forks!

my friend blew the flange off one of theose front hubs last week after a heavy landing  :(

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Hotwheels (the UK Eclat importer) didnt get any 10t drives in. I send Eclat a blind email asking if I could get a 10t driver from them. I got a reply from Brain Tunney (who works for Eclat), and he got the German guys to send me a whole hub!
Well stoked!!  :D

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Alex is so modest !
Alex and I were planning a wheel build for him for ages ... firstly Hot Wheels had no 10t Eclat hubs in..  and harldy any left hand drives in 9T ... so Alex said he would contact them direct. I had the rims he always wanted, along with is front hub [ by the way I love the WTP front hub, Ive been running one for ages WITH pegs]
so.. Brian Tunney replied to alex, saying he had none inthe states, and was gonna email the german HQ of eclat .. then alex got an email [ whicn i was copied into ] from Eclat , and in that email thread brian tunney refers to alex as UK BMX LEGEND alex leech.
what I love about this whol ething, is here is alex Leech, a hard wokring engineer who stil works his backside off at his regular job, not working with bmx at all, but is the inventor of left hand drive, and on the other hand here is Eclat, one of the finest hub makers in the world, who recognise alex's contibution to BMX hub design, and send him a hub in a nod to alex's importance in that world. How cool is that.
It was a pleasure to be a hand in all this  , and I loved building them !
cheers,
steve

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Great thread & a real cool story  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Bushwacked

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Sweet story!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Photos of my wheels!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx