gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chrome "pitting"
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: chrome "pitting"  (Read 796 times)

actarus

chrome "pitting"
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:47 PM »
not exactly a restoration question but I am somewhat concerned about the future of my NOS chrome parts.

can something be done to prevent pitting? or is it inevitable?

trasher

Re: chrome "pitting"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:55 PM »
not exactly a restoration question but I am somewhat concerned about the future of my NOS chrome parts.

can something be done to prevent pitting? or is it inevitable?

maybe oiled up then kept in a closed bag

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44 AM »
Where do you keep your builds ? In the house or out in the shed / garage ?
If they are warm and dry in the house I wouldn't have thought you need worry (let's face it - if they are still NOS and mint now after 25 / 30 years in a bike shop or wherever i think they'll be fine for a good few more in the house  ;) )
If the room / building they are kept in is a little damp though you could always get a de-humidifier  :-\

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

sweetbeats

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Keep them in a bath of freshly pressed virgin olives.

actarus

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47 PM »
  :2funny:

actarus

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Where do you keep your builds ? In the house or out in the shed / garage ?
If they are warm and dry in the house I wouldn't have thought you need worry (let's face it - if they are still NOS and mint now after 25 / 30 years in a bike shop or wherever i think they'll be fine for a good few more in the house  ;) )
If the room / building they are kept in is a little damp though you could always get a de-humidifier  :-\

it tends to be very humid here so a de-humidifier for the room I keep my bikes in is a good idea. thanks!

sweetbeats

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:51 PM »
  :2funny:

;)
Serious thought though Cyclo...most on here into old school are roughly mid 30's to 40+...I am sure if you store them off a damp garage floors future generations and antiques roadshow fanatics (bbc2 program for the oldies) will be able to pay homage when the original old schoolers like me and you are long gone  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chrome "pitting"

gfxgfx
gfx gfx