gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seatpost 1 - 10mm axle, me + hammer 0
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seatpost 1 - 10mm axle, me + hammer 0  (Read 1596 times)

bigsman

Seatpost 1 - 10mm axle, me + hammer 0
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Fook me I'm gubbed...just spent the morning knocking seven shades of you know what out of the 'seatpost' I mentioned here - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=90480.0

I know the stuck seatpost thing has been asked a fair few times but this ones a wee bit different because the post isn't a seatpost and its got a steel outer and alloy centre.  I've drilled it through and put a 10mm axle into it, wd40d it from last night to today then spent the morning with my biggest persuader battering it and no movement at all  :'(.  Next I put some heat on it and then same routine but no dice.  The axle now looks like a piece of macaroni so I'm looking for something stronger for phase 2.

Can anyone suggest anything that the home DIYer might be able to do before I give up and take it into a shop?

Cheers

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Seatpost 1 - 10mm axle, me + hammer 0
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:11 PM »
have you tried costic soda , it will eat the alloy post away  then just remove the metal bit..bung up any holes in the frame as best you can then apply costic
as long as the frames steel

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:14 PM »
the above sounds good, then seal b+b and fill up with diesel, this is supposed to do the biz :daumenhoch:

bigsman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Aye cheers guys caustic is on the list of possibles but it is quite extreme and is gonna mean the garden becomes a kid/dog exclusion zone!  Reading up I take it that the caustic won't touch the steel?  So in theory I'll be left with just the steel outer post and the middle will disolve away....thinking this could be my next step.  I've resisted the urge to lop off the visible bit of pipe cos I thought it would always be more likely I'd need to use it for some of these other ways of tackling it but as I try them and crash and burn I'm thinking about cutting the post down to the min before I try the caustic approach.  Cheers for the ideas - keep em coming  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:20 PM »
it wont touch the steel,  BUT   do not inhale the fumes   bad bad bad.

bigsman

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:27 PM »
it wont touch the steel,  BUT   do not inhale the fumes   bad bad bad.

Cheers man I'll be taking extreme precautions if I attempt it don't worry!  Think I've got a tub of crystals do I make a solution in what? a plastic tub! or glass bowl ?
and then what do you reckon...drill down into the tube a bit to make a reservoir and just slowly add solution and let it do its stuff?

I'm worried just thinking about it  :LolLolLolLol:

bigsman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Ok things have moved on...I've cut the mofo and the seatpost aint solid after all....

Some edjit has put their butt plug in the end of a normal seatpost...exhibit a:

and exhibit b - no further questions your honour...

So...that now rules out the caustic soda route and puts me back into 'normal' stuck seatpost territory.  Hasn't helped me get the thing out yet though.  I'm now trying to saw down the inside of the post with a hacksaw blade...it should work but christ it's hard going for precious little sign of anything happening.

Takes it out yeh this resto / salvage fun!

Offline scott30

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:21 PM »
mate ive had a simalar problem with a post stuck in my dyno frame and ended up cutting the post down and cutting down the middle of the post at the back and pushing either side into the middle but still the fooker wont cum out i think its well seized in there so i guess i will have to try the diesel treatment my only hope now is that my cousin thinks he can do it and as he managed to get a stuck stem out of my mtb forks before i guess im gona let him try and hope he manages to do it good luck tho mate :daumenhoch: hope u get it out  ;)

munners

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I had a problem like this the other day. I ended up clamping the vice to the seat post (in mid air - and my vice is heavy duty!!) , tightening it up as much as i could and then I got my old man to move the post left and right as i sat on the top tube (bike was built). Took us half an hour using wd40 and twisting the vice left to right and pulling the vice upwards as we twisted. Post was fooked obviously afterwards.

Was sweating like a Muslim at customs but it worked. :daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:20 PM »
fit another solid bar in the post, weld it with a arc on full to heat it right up, then while its hot stick it in a vice, the seatpost wont collapse like they do when they are hollow. soaking it with liquid wrench ( marketed as PLUSGAS) for a few days beforehand helps too. Also diesel has a similar effect.
I want to touch ORB

bigsman

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Cheers for the ideas folks but no welder here and its already been in a vice when it had the metal plug in place and the vice was coming off the bench before the post would move I sh** u not!!

I'm gonna go with cutting it and maybe the diesel or plusgas as a backup....also have oxalic on the way so I'll stick it in a bath and see what gives  :LolLolLolLol:

bigsman

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Finally...deep into injury time (got the scars to prove!) I beat this bugger into submission.  It's taken over a week of almost daily abuse but finally got the post out last night.  For anyone else that's in a similar position all I can say is...stick with it and be patient unlike me!

I'll put a pic up later by way of explanation but this mission has cost me a lot of time, sweat, blood and screwdrivers, blades and drill bits!!

the thing that finally worked for me was sawing the inside of the post length ways in 4 places and then twisting cutting, crushing, drilling it to death.  Tough going  but a good feeling getting the bugger out tho.  I believe this method would work in 99% of cases but it's not for those short of time or patience....

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Well done for percevering with that mate  :shocked:  :daumenhoch:

I'd have given up long ago  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

dannywhiteley

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Did you cry tears of joy when it finally came out?  I know I would... :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 05:37 PM »
My god i'm knackered after just reading the thread ;D I think i will go make a pot of tea and put me feet up after this.
By the way, well done :daumenhoch: 8) 8)

bigsman

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Ha ha guys ...I had to walk away a few times over the last week but the tight erse scotsman in me wouldn't listen to the idea of throwing away a nice Gt frame...my Mrs thinks I'm demented and I've turned emo with the amount of hammer based self harming I did but yeh...the sense of elation was pretty cool when it finally came good!

Heres the pics of the offending article and the sacrificial tools lol

Couldn't exaclty say it was worth it in terms of time spent but f it I aint gonna let a bike beat me lol..

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26 PM »
Quality - love the "sacrificial tools" shot  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seatpost 1 - 10mm axle, me + hammer 0

gfxgfx
gfx gfx