gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem Turning in Fork Tube. (New Pic of culprit added)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stem Turning in Fork Tube. (New Pic of culprit added)  (Read 564 times)

JD_76

Hi peeps, fairly new on here and am having proiblems with a stem that refuses to tighten up in the fork tube.

I have tried two different wedges and had to cut the stem shaft accordingly, but no matter what I try or how tight I go the bars still move.  :'(

The stem is a Haro Fusion stem in a 1" fork tube, I have cut the shaft to fit an old iron wedge but to no avail.  :knuppel2:

Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix the stem in place??

Threadlock? Putty?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:07 PM by JD_76 »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Stem Turning in Fork Tube.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Two things to check, first the check the stem shaft diameter (22.2mm I think is the usual size) and then the inside diameter of the forks.  It may be that the forks have stretched so look for any bulging in the steerer tube  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

lodge

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Pics of the stem shaft and wedge would help  :daumenhoch:

What is the old iron wedge your using off?

If you have cut the stem shaft the stem bolt may now be too long i.e. not enough threads to tighten the wedge.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:13 AM by S&Mc Bicycle Co »

JD_76

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Found the culprit, the stem tube is turning in the body of the stem (see pic) is there a cure for this problem or is it  :knuppel2: game over??

Cheers in advance.

James.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:57 PM by JD_76 »

buzzlightyear05

Re: Stem Turning in Fork Tube. (New Pic of culprit added)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15 PM »
It could be fixed but unless its a Nice stem (Which i guess its not as youve already hacked it up) You might as well be better buying a new one.

JD_76

Re: Stem Turning in Fork Tube. (New Pic of culprit added)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:38 PM »
It could be fixed but unless its a Nice stem (Which i guess its not as youve already hacked it up) You might as well be better buying a new one.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

It still is a nice stem, the part I cut you dont see. But as you rightly say as they are only £20 to buy and the repair costs might not be much cheaper.  :(

J.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem Turning in Fork Tube. (New Pic of culprit added)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx