gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 11:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing paint
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing paint  (Read 820 times)

adeshere

Removing paint
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:35 PM »
So, what is the best thing to use to remove paint from an old bmx frame ?

Is there something i can paint on and leave for a bit that will do the job for me ?

neiljonarcus

Re: Removing paint
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:07 PM by n2cus »

adeshere

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36 PM »
How well does that stuff work ?

I am not sure if to just rub the current paont down a bit with some sandpaper and just apint over the top of it OR strip it back to bare metal

bmxbob

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Nitromors  >:D

dannywhiteley

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Nitromors is quality.  I stripped a scratched DC MX hinged clamp recently and the paint just fell off.  Quick buff and I have a mint polished MX clamp.

I also used it on the Rebel frame in my sig before it was powder coated.  Much better to get back to bare metal before coating.  Get a nicer finish.

Just get a pair of gloves (it stings if you get it on your skin) and a load of newspaper and make some mess. :)

adeshere

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:32 PM »
So where would i get Nitromors from

buzzlightyear05

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Homebase,wilkinsons B&Q any good hardware store ect. You want the one in the green tin not yellow. :daumenhoch:

adeshere

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Is it a case of paint it on, leave it and then wipe off the paint, or is scraping involved

buzzlightyear05

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 10:55 PM »
Apply it with an old paint brush ect wait for it to bubble up then use an old rag ect to wipe it off. It really is as easy as that. Be sure to use gloves though and cover your arms as the splashes get a bit sore.

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Yeah, just paint it on with an old brush and work it intoall the tight angles.  Leave it a few minutes (youwill see the paint lift and bubble) then wipe it off.  May need a second go, and try not to let it dry on.  Keep working it with the brush.

If its a frame you are stripping back to bare metal, get the wire brush out once youve wiped the excess off.  That will bring it up lovely.  Its really satisfying and much less work that rubbing it down with sandpaper.

bmxbob

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Homebase,wilkinsons B&Q any good hardware store ect. You want the one in the green tin not yellow. :daumenhoch:

I get mine from Tesco, bout a fiver  :daumenhoch:

Green tin  :)

adeshere

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Ah, got myself a tin from halfords so will let you know how i get on

bmxbob

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:10 PM »
PICTURES !  :D

B4 and after

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing paint

gfxgfx
gfx gfx