gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  mid school wheels & pics of my mk3 s&m holmes build so far
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mid school wheels & pics of my mk3 s&m holmes build so far  (Read 1628 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
what kind of wheels were being ridden back in 93-94 as my memory isnt that good :-[ :-[

obviously super pros and id love another set but i dont have the kind of cash that very good condition ones go for :'( :'(

araya aeros on suzue sealed hubs?

i need a set of wheels for my mk3 holmes below

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: mid school wheels & pics of my mk3 s&m holmes build so far
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:43 PM »
tasty
odyssey
sunn rims
araya 7x
anything like that

motomagII

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:50 PM »
is it rider or show resto?
i got nice cheap set wheels in the for sale section copy araya 7x 48s perfect era

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54 PM »
its a rider/near mint bike im building for just cruising along the seafront on and reliving memories of the early 90's when i bought a brand new mk3 holmes frame

i took a look at your wheels but im really after a well known make and pref chrome/ polished rims & hubs

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:59 PM »
no probs matey .ive got the perfect tyres for ya too lol
primo v monsters black wall.
id give jt a shout he can build ya set of araya super 7x on nice chrome hubs for bout 90.00 brand new.

JT71

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:02 PM »
how old are sun rhino lytes? 48s?

just got a pair from cycle sport on ebay, cheap as chips

(rims only, as its for a rider i had their own "prolite" brand sealed hubs)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:04 PM »
cheers if the v monsters were tan wall id snap them up :daumenhoch:

not that keen on 7x rims for some reason much prefer aero rims and kinda got my heart set on a chrome/polished araya aero rims built into chrome sealed bearing suzue low flange hubs but are they really midschool?

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:05 PM »
bout mid 90s i looked at them few weeks ago perfect

motomagII

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:06 PM »
ive just bought a nice set polished ukai wqith sealed chrome hubs to replace my 48s lol

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09 PM »
cool ive been looking but there dont seem to be any chrome sealed suzue low flange hubs around at the mo only the unsealed versions and no real good condition araya aero rims

JT71

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 07:24 PM »
48s it's where it's at.

:daumenhoch:

scott250

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:16 PM »
That is almost what I rode in 93.  The wheels I ran were 48 spoke araya, they were a dull aluminium sort of colour.  I would get a nice 44 - 16 gear ratio with chrome profile cranks.  I had a gt seat i think on mine.  Not sure on the pedals, might have been GT dx styled ones?  I ran some green  OS tuff2s on mine for a month before switching to the 48s, haha.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:39 PM »
cool, it will be running profiles with shimano dx's, gt pro series chainring and the wheels are gonna be chrome/polished araya areos on chrome sealed suzue hubs and ethier tan wall gt logo tyres or tan wall primo  tyres

would love another set of super pros but a good set are damn expensive these days when they do come up for sale and i already have a set on my 1/18th holmes :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

condor96

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:11 PM »

would love another set of super pros but a good set are damn expensive these days when they do come up for sale

ive been preaching the same thing. i still dont understand why they are so expensive now. they made a billion sets of them

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22 PM »
i know, the amount that were around in the mid 90's you would have thought there be lots still around now, hubs can be got quite easily its the rims which are rare, prob down to the style of riding in the 90's not many survived

i have a set with the phat jaxx 10/14mm slotted axles on my 1/8th holmes, bought brand new a couple of years ago from shiners and they said they were the very last set they had and didnt know of anymore

i know a member on here has a large stash of them but i dont think they want to sell :'( :'( :'(

condor96

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 06:35 PM »
thats what i figured, all i remember is various bikes......all with the same wheelset,superpros. EVERYBODY ran em. i run across em all the time today, but for the price.................... :-X               somebody would make a killing doing repros of them

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 06:48 PM »
what sort of price do you see them go for? i remember buying a set brand new for £150 in 1993, mint ones go for around double that now i think

condor96

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 07:09 PM »
typically about 200-400 dollars, about 130-170 pounds for decent ones  :tickedoff:  i can barely afford to put gas in my car let alone drop that kind of coin.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:03 PM »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: id gladly pay £130-£150 for a set

nosepickben

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Hi kev, we have similar builds going on..... My 1" holmes is all done bar the stickers + overhauling the pedals. Will post pics when she's finished.
Regarding your wheels, whatever looks nice to you will be good, there was so much mixing + matching + grabbing what you could to ride in the era of this particular bike, that almost anything within reason would look "period". I rode many an old weak/race 36 spoke wheel on the front just because it was a chrome rim (frontbrake stalwart) I couldn't afford chrome 48's. I had a very early gsport rear hub with a selection of rims that it outlived...
My holmes has peregrine 48 hubs, alloy, sealed bearings.
Used but good super 7x chrome rear
Used but minty original alloy hp48 front - no front brake (yet) planned for it, think i have a boa somewhere.... Hmmmm..... ??? 

bmxbert

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 10:11 PM »
did both the holmes you guys are talking about come from me ???

it makes me sad....dark diggler bought my challenger and i have been sad ever since :'( :'( :'(

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 05:25 AM »
cool cant wait to see it, yeah i remember using any kind of wheels i could get my hands on (mainly araya aeros & 7x's)  until 1993 when i left school, got my first job and with my 2nd weeks pay packet i bought my self my first set of super pros :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

my holmes is the one i got from you, i was tempted to have your heavy as f**k too but then i remembered i bought one brand new, rode it for 2 weeks and thought f**k this is heavy!!! and swapped it for a new gt fueller which was one of the first 1/18th aheadset frames

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  mid school wheels & pics of my mk3 s&m holmes build so far

gfxgfx
gfx gfx