gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 11:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Building Dirt jumps etc
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Building Dirt jumps etc  (Read 878 times)

Bushwacked

Building Dirt jumps etc
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone or somewhere I can learn the best way to build dirtjumps (or similar) and some tricks of the trade?

There is a stretch of land reserved for BMX use in the local area which need some work doing to it and having trouble finding anyone with experience to help sort out some jumps etc.

Cheers

Barnaby.

jedi

Re: Building Dirt jumps etc
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:54 PM »
come to my place and i show ya

firebird4130

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:02 PM »
start off small ,let things evolve as time goes by you won't believe how the landscape changes from when you first set eyes on it, ideas come about as you ride the jumps, different lines where to put berms will be shaped by the obstacles you have, trees, branches. use the stuff you have laying around to build the jumps up, like logs,pallets, whatever you find can all go in. Try not to dig too deep around the jumps keep excavations shallow and wide (keep the ground surrounding the jumps as level as possible)rather than concentrated next to the jumps, as locals will complain if theres holes they can fall in. let transitions form naturally, roll your bike up and down, ride them in, you can make fine adjustments by adding clay like soil and beating it in, let the clay dry before riding. There's no rules, small jumps may become big jumps, transitions will change. All you need is a starting point a couple of little doubles, or a small rhythum section and you're away  :daumenhoch:

Bushwacked

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Fraz - nice one very useful - was thinking more of the tools and techniques needs to actually build them.

Jedi - as soon as the arm is strong again, a day off is being had to visit the legendary Herts Shore!!!

firebird4130

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:28 PM »
well we just used shovels and spades, but there was a few of us

Bushwacked

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:41 PM »
So basically its not rocket science or a black art - just get involved!

firebird4130

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 06:45 PM »
yeah that's about it, looks like it must be when you see the "finished" result but it's just evolution

JT71

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Barnaby, I'm just putting together my DK as a jump bike, then I'm building some little jumps
on a bit of waste land my bosses own ay work, so I'll be doing as suggested, start small, nail that
pile it up a bit, move it apart a bit, so on and so forth.

you're more than welcome to join me, bring a spade.

oh, but leave it a week or so, I'm off to the Algarve. lol.

:daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 02:46 AM »
Build yourself a tabletop jump, learn to clear it comfortably then dig the middle out of it. Hey presto - your first double   ;)   The safest way to start dirt jumping  :)  You can build a setup set before it, but make it more like pump bumps that you can case without killing yourself.

Once they're nailed, it's entirely up to you - the sky's the limit   :)

hudu

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Experience. It ain't rocket science but years help. A lot.

Bushwacked

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Cheers for the advice and tips.

Hudu - you know the score and if we could afford it we'd get you in.  :'(

hudu

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Cheers for the advice and tips.

Hudu - you know the score and if we could afford it we'd get you in.  :'(

If I get a patch where I have nowt on I'll come do it for redbull, magners and a sleeping bag to lie in.  8)

Bushwacked

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

You're on - but I may even have a spare bed rather than a sleeping bag for you.

paulgray

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Ayton Quarry Trails are entirely hand build, you need spades and wheel barrows and a good rake is handy, then its lots of hours digging  which will keep you fit  :daumenhoch:. I agree that a table is the thing to start with especially for novice riders. Start at 10ft long and 3ft high, you can make it longer if you find it's too short. Main thing is getting good angles on the ramps and a nice smooth transition, this is where the rake comes into play. Scoop the middle out like the man said once everyone is happy.

evamedia

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Don't make them too small, take off's need to be longer than the wheel base of the bikes

Juju

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 09:29 PM »
But make the tabletop high enough that the first time you land  missing the downside on a kashi aero saddle without your feet in the pedals, it's a lesson learned for life!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Building Dirt jumps etc

gfxgfx
gfx gfx