gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting a Hatta Headset - Dipsticks guide required
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting a Hatta Headset - Dipsticks guide required  (Read 1234 times)

rhino_mac

Fitting a Hatta Headset - Dipsticks guide required
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

This will be the first of probably many stupid questions I'm going to ask. Motorbikes I seem to be fine on, but my Laserlite is now pretty precious to me and I'm terrified of killing a hard to find part.

I got a Hatta MX2 headset today and need to fit it to the frame - something I've never done before. I've put a piccie below of the parts - could someone give me some idiot proof instructions on how to fit this please!

I can see how the bearings go inside the cups but which bit goes on top of the headstock and which goes below. There is also a small washer (bottom left in the picture) that has a little locating bit on the inside, but I can't work out where that goes in relation to the other bits.

Thanks for the help!! I will learn.............promise!

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Fitting a Hatta Headset - Dipsticks guide required
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:33 PM »
will pm you ::)

mark 2

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:15 PM »
The 6th item down - twat it into the top of headtube. You've got one cup too many there. Choose the best one out of the top 2 and put it in the bottom of the head tube. place bearings facing down on the crown race on your forks , but I can see you've not got one pictured....Poke you forks through headtube and place bearings face down  on top  of headtube. Screw the big bit  ( item 5) of forks, then that washer with the bit sticking out, press that down on there. Then tighten it up with lock nut  ( item 8 ) 
 :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 07:17 PM by mark j. »

trasher

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:20 PM »
is item no. 6 not the fork race ,,,,,, could be my eyes though  :shocked:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29 PM »
That's what I thought it's the Fork Crown if the top 2 cups are the same size.

It's dead easy.

bodamus.

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:51 PM »
This is for Tange but will give you the idea

rhino_mac

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 08:03 PM »
That MX2 one looks identical!!

So, here's what I reckon I need to do, based on loosely fitting it together.

1) Bash a cup into the top and bottom of the headstock (items 1 & 2 above, left to right)
2) Slip item 6 (left to right) over the fork tube and tap it down flush with the bottom (there is a little ridge on the bottom of the fork, slightly wider by a couple of thou)
3) Sit a bearing race onto the fork and loose fit the fork
4) Fit another bearing race into the top cup
5) Screw down item 5 onto the threaded part of the top tube
6) Slip the washer ring over the thread (item 7)
7) Screw down the top nut which is item 8

One question though, the washer bit (item 7) has a little bit jutting inside that prevents it going over the thread. Is this supposed to screw down?

If anything seems wrong with the above, can somebody let me know!

Cheers

rhino_mac

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Just seen the slot in to forks for that washer bit to locate in!!

Seems to fit together fine now. Only worry is smacking that bit onto the top of the fork. Seems to need a hell of a whack - is that normal?

trasher

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Just seen the slot in to forks for that washer bit to locate in!!

Seems to fit together fine now. Only worry is smacking that bit onto the top of the fork. Seems to need a hell of a whack - is that normal?

the fork race is best to get some tubing thats fits over the threaded fork bit ,and sits on top of the race ,,,then tw4t the hell out of the tube

have seen some people say soak it in boiling water for five minutes to expand it a bit

mark 2

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:47 PM »
I thought your number 5 bit was the top part as you said it was Hatta and it look like there could have been one of the drilled holes visible on the side...my mistake. Yes you have to really batter the fork crown on usually. They're impossible to file down on the inside though to make bigger , they're made of really tough steel. Ive got a bit of tube that just fits over the fork and sits on top of fork crown. At least you can give that a really good whack to avoid messing up and hitting the fork legs.

** you beat me to it with the "tube" reply** ;)

trasher

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:58 PM »
I thought your number 5 bit was the top part as you said it was Hatta and it look like there could have been one of the drilled holes visible on the side...my mistake. Yes you have to really batter the fork crown on usually. They're impossible to file down on the inside though to make bigger , they're made of really tough steel. Ive got a bit of tube that just fits over the fork and sits on top of fork crown. At least you can give that a really good whack to avoid messing up and hitting the fork legs.

** you beat me to it with the "tube" reply** ;)

hehe  :daumenhoch:

i see were your confusion was now ,,,,the hattas normally have a smaller top section ,,then a larger cup that screws on after the bearings

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting a Hatta Headset - Dipsticks guide required

gfxgfx
gfx gfx