gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  help with priming/spraying
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: help with priming/spraying  (Read 911 times)

dodger

help with priming/spraying
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:00 PM »
i striped down a frame today redy to be resprayed and sold used nitromorse for most of it them mum told me i dident need to take it back to raw finish like i thought i would so allot of the rear end was bare steel after sanding down the rest and laying a coat of primer i was happy with the amount coated

came back 2 hours later and the primer on the rear triangle is flaking off on the paches it was raw was i supost to do somthing to this area before priming like  s special coating or layer? all day i was on it and abit peeved off tbh :'( ah well all a learning curv i spose.

any help would be a great help as i want to get some paint layed on it 2moro

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: help with priming/spraying
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Lol...has your mum done much nitromorsing?

I scrub everything with fairy liquid, and a good scourer after nitromors, then pressure wash it all off.

if theres even a TRACE of nitro left on it, it will bubble your paint, or cause it not to dry.

after all its paint stripper.
I want to touch ORB

dodger

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:14 PM »
yeah shes always been abit of a handy man type striping gates,furniture ect dad was never around so she had to learn as i am now lol
i think that may well be the problem then and there was trace of the nitromorse left on there and it reacted with the primer il flake it off the nasty bits 2moro and try again after giving it a clean over

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:18 PM »
scrub it like fook, then blend the surrounding paint with wet and dry paper, with lots of water, then either wait a good day for it to dry, or heat gun it to force dry it, then re prime.

post some pics if you get stuck, so we know what we are dealing with.
I want to touch ORB

Hootski70

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Whenever i paint something i wipe it clean with some celulose thinners first . I also use a zinc based etching primer ( availiable from most small motor factors ) especially when two different types of surface are been covered . Try warming the cans of paint in a bucket of warm water as well , this helps you get a better finish on top coats .

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:19 AM »
yep, that bucket trick works well, just remember to shake the can properly to get all the drips of water on the floor, and not on your freshly painted frame.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Make sure the water is not too HOT, I have experienced a can blowing up when my brother put it in boiling water :shocked:
Like they have said above, scrub and wash, I normally leave any part I'm spraying on a radiator to dry. ALso move the frame around and shake to get any water out of the tubes. Just before I paint I use a tack cloth to give it a wipe :daumenhoch:

dodger

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 08:11 PM »
well i scraped off the flakey stuff with scour pads today and ruffed up teh surface abit while giving it a clean aplied a thicker coat and seems to of set on without any problems chose a colore aswell went for a pepermint greenlooks well swish on the forks 8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  help with priming/spraying

gfxgfx
gfx gfx